Splash Vault: Sleaziest Sleaze of the Seven Seas

→ in
Tools    

I love me some Mary Crosby! I have never seen The Ice Pirates but have it set to record on Sunday and am looking forward to it.

recrafted the first post to suit me throughout the summer months. here goes with a classic

THE BLACK PIRATE (1926)

a page from the history of the lives of the most bloodthirsty pirates who ever infested the southern seas. being an account of buccaneers & the spanish main, the jolly roger, golden galleons, buried treasure, cutlasses, the plank & marooning.. it was the custom of these pirates to subdue their prey, loot the ship, bind their captives, and blow them up!

some may first think of Tyrone Power or Errol Flynn (or Basil Rathbone) when it comes to swashbucklers, yet Douglas Fairbanks is as legendary or more than any of them. The Duke of Arnoldo vows vengeance on the cutthroats responsible for his father's death. Becoming the black pirate, he joins their scurvy crew and quickly ascends as their leader. Yet his revenge plans become complicated when he meets his first captive, a beautiful Spanish princess. Douglas Fairbanks was a true man, wielding athletic prowess beyond any major actor.

How many actors get their own blown-up face cutout over the theater. Part of me likes Fairbanks' Thief of Bagdad (1924) slightly more than this, although The Black Pirate '26 is tighter and a glimpse at a giant of the 20s shot in two-strip technicolor. Rip-roaring with spiced adventure, exceptional stunts & swordplay

Rating:
7.0 / 10

The Island with the Caine-ster is garbage but at least there's some martial arts.

The Ice Pirates is something I'd like to see again. I remember the speeded up sequence towards the end with the stormy love scene, the gooey space herpes hatching from the alien egg, jive talking robots (like something out of a Rudy Rucker novel) and the castration scene when they get captured near the beginning. It's something I considered buying so many times and certainly will if I see it cheap enough.

I saw Savage Islands at the theater as a child (I remember nagging my dad to take me) and naturally thought it was great in the wake of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Not sure what I'd think now.

Captain Ron would be a bonafide comedy classic if Russel didn't have such a small part. All I remember is that sun cream tube being stepped on.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
What's the best pirate movie on Netflix?