Do you think Hollywood movies are shot better than foreign films?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I was watching the remake of Miss Bala, and couldn't help but think the cinematograhphy and color grade, in the remake was more polished looking than the original, but the original is only a few years old.

That got me thinking that the American, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake is also more polished looking than the original which came out two years prior.

The American remake of Oldboy, also has much more polished cinematography than the original, but maybe a lot changed in ten years?

What do you think? Does Hollywood just have the best of the best maybe, and that's why?

Yeah I'm not sure I like more polished either, I just noticed that they American remakes look more polished than the non-American originals.

Perhaps you could have a non-polished look, but polished un-polished, like something in between.

I don't like the polished look. I think movies looked better in the 70's and before. For the most part.
Fincher is obviously more considered but there has I think been a standardising of cinematography, especially in mainstream Hollywood. Films might be technically advanced but their unadventurous and choices aren't really made to benefit them as much.

Visually strong recent non Hollywood films.

Under The Skin
The Handmaiden
Hard To Be A God
The Lobster/Killing of a Sacred Deer/The Favourite
Timbuktu
Embrace of the Serpent
The Great Beauty
Calvary
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Ida/Cold War
The Racer and the Jailbird
Berberian Sound Studio/The Duke of Burgudy
Blue is The Warmest Colour/Mektoub My Love
Once Upon A Time in Anatolia
Grand Central
High Life
Zama

The truth is in here
I think if anyone pulls the polished look off well, it's Fincher. He has a visual style which really pulls you into the worlds he creates, particularly in The Game, Seven, Fight Club and Gone Girl.

Well one movie I can think of the foreign original had better considerably better cinematography than the American remake is Infernal Affairs.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Do you think American books are written better than non-American books?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

No.

Bollywood films have some serious talent shooting wise, they are probably on par with hollywood

No.

The opposite. Take a look at Lukasz Zal's photography.
It is really dependant on what your talking about I'd say, I mean I'm sure a lot of good sized Hollywood films have cinematography that takes skill and a lot of equipment to achieve but creatively wise its not IMHO a very fertile place. As mentioned Fincher is quite rare as someone who takes this slick look and makes it work to the benefit of his films.

Whether it was intentional or not I do think the question picks up on a divide in cinema were by cinematography is considered more a standardised tool in a lot of big Hollywood releases but a creative outlet elsewhere.

Nah, too much cgi with Hollywood.

Well it just seems that way in the examples I posted before, as I feel that Hollywood cinematography seems more crisp, when comparing it to the original foreign films such as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, or Miss Bala.

Here’s looking at you, kid.
Overall, almost in every aspect, not just the cinematography, I feel foreign films are better, deeper, more artistic, meaningful, etc......

I was told by one person that he feels that foreign nations make just as shallow films as Hollywood but America only brings over the really good ones, compared to the more shallow ones. Do you think that's true though?