Glass Onion: Great or another bad sequel?

→ in
Tools    

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery is the sequel to the popular 2019’s Knives Out. It is not required to have seen Knives Out before you watch Glass Onion, the sequel also does not contain any spoilers of the prequel. Glass Onion is a murder mystery film directed by Rian Johnson released in 2022. Daniel Craig returned as detective Benoit Blanc but other than him is the cast entirely new. Tech billionaire Miles Bron, played by Edward Norton, invites his friends to play a murder mystery game on his private island in Greece. The movie takes place during the month of May 2020, in the middle of the pandemic. Glass Onion is a game of Cluedo which makes it an enjoyable and light movie to watch.

Despite a few attempts at trying to be relevant such as showing the game “Among Us”, was the comedy in Glass Onion enjoyable but not hysterically funny. As far as solving the mystery goes, could the movie be best described as a game of Cluedo. Something I enjoyed about the film is the fact that by paying close attention to the scenes and dialog, the audience could spot unusual things that later tie back to the murderer, which is not always the case with other mystery movies where the audience has to wait till the last piece of information to solve the puzzle.

A good movie sticks with you for a while, changes you slightly. After watching a good movie you are a little different compared to you before watching that movie. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery was not that at all. Glass Onion is in my opinion an entertaining movie, nothing more, nothing less. If you want to watch something amusing and fun, I would definitely recommend Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery. That is why I give this movie a 4 out of 5 stars.

Do you agree with my review or do you have feedback for my review? Leave a reply! I would love to read your opinion.

I loved the first movie, so expectations were huge for the sequel. Glass Onion was good, but for me it was not at the same level as the first movie. It was close, but not quite. The cast is great (but I preferred the one from Knives Out) as well as the actual mystery. I guessed fairly early on who the killer would be, although I did not know the motive. But once it got confirmed that I was right about the killer, it took away a bit for me. But all in all, it was a still very fun movie.

It's good I wouldn't say it's great

WARNING: "Glass Onion" spoilers below
PC Hollywood really ruins these mysteries as the killer is always obvious which makes the film a waste of time.

There was not all that much wrong with the film, but the production seemed to be too in love with itself.

Part of my disfavor towards the picture is that the Agatha Christie type story with an embellished drawing room approach to a whodunit has become long in the tooth. After one has seen dozens of tales with that approach they've become rather stale-- even one with all the pyrotechnics and spectacular settings.

Craig has better polished his accent, but that whole business surrounding Hugh Grant's cameo wasn't funny, and fell flat. It stuck out like a sore thumb, and was basically confusing. Perhaps they had to interject a little W/SJ to satisfy Hollywood's current social fashion.

I'm a fan of Norton's and Craig's, but their work was not enough to satisfy me in this picture. I hope they don't produce another "Knives Out" followup, but if they make enough money I'm sure they'll fire up another one.

Welcome to the human race...
It's good I wouldn't say it's great

WARNING: "Glass Onion" spoilers below
PC Hollywood really ruins these mysteries as the killer is always obvious which makes the film a waste of time.
WARNING: "Knives Out/Glass Onion" spoilers below
I'm curious what other films you'd cite as examples of quote-unquote PC Hollywood having obvious killers. At least Knives Out gets around this with its second-act twist being that the victim was accidentally poisoned by his nurse and she's trying to avoid getting into trouble so when the obvious killer is introduced he's just as opportunistic as the other cast members so it's mixed up just enough. Between that and Glass Onion deciding to flip its mystery halfway through, I get the impression that the mysteries are almost besides the point as the story wants to address other aspects, which is both a feature and a bug.

Craig has better polished his accent, but that whole business surrounding Hugh Grant's cameo wasn't funny, and fell flat. It stuck out like a sore thumb, and was basically confusing. Perhaps they had to interject a little W/SJ to satisfy Hollywood's current social fashion.

I'm a fan of Norton's and Craig's, but their work was not enough to satisfy me in this picture. I hope they don't produce another "Knives Out" followup, but if they make enough money I'm sure they'll fire up another one.
So you say it's confusing but at the same time you cry SJW over it, which seems to indicate that you understand enough of what's implied to complain about this specific aspect (and it doesn't stick out any more than any of the other cameos anyway, even ones that make sense as callbacks to old detective stories like Angela Lansbury and Stephen Sondheim playing the whodunit videogame with Craig).

WARNING: "Knives Out/Glass Onion" spoilers below
I'm curious what other films you'd cite as examples of quote-unquote PC Hollywood having obvious killers. At least Knives Out gets around this with its second-act twist being that the victim was accidentally poisoned by his nurse and she's trying to avoid getting into trouble so when the obvious killer is introduced he's just as opportunistic as the other cast members so it's mixed up just enough. Between that and Glass Onion deciding to flip its mystery halfway through, I get the impression that the mysteries are almost besides the point as the story wants to address other aspects, which is both a feature and a bug.

So you say it's confusing but at the same time you cry SJW over it, which seems to indicate that you understand enough of what's implied to complain about this specific aspect (and it doesn't stick out any more than any of the other cameos anyway, even ones that make sense as callbacks to old detective stories like Angela Lansbury and Stephen Sondheim playing the whodunit videogame with Craig).

Since 2019/2020 off the top of my head

WARNING: spoilers below

Knives Out

Mare of Eastown
No Sudden Move

The Wolf of Snow Hollow
The Kid Detective
Spiral

The Undoing
Confess Fletch

The Little Things

Death on the Nile
Vengence

See How They Run
Knives Out Glass Onion

A system of cells interlinked
Oh no. More crying over the depiction of a gay couple in a movie. However brief it was.
I took their complaints as more of a "oh look, the rich white dude is the bad guy" than any complaint about sexuality etc.

Welcome to the human race...
I took their complaints as more of a "oh look, the rich white dude is the bad guy" than any complaint about sexuality etc.
We were referring to this complaint specifically:

A system of cells interlinked
We were referring to this complaint specifically:
Ah, fair. I don't recall what the High Grant scene was even about, hence me not making the connection to that. Was thinking more about the comment Siddon had wrapped in spoiler tags above re: ruining the mystery.