I don't like this new era of streaming

Tools    

Boldly going.
I see fewer and fewer DVDs in stores and I don't like it. Not only that- many programs (especially on Disney + which I'm not a subscriber of) are not even made available on DVD. I miss the days when everybody around the watercooler could talk about TV shows, because everybody could watch them free on their TVs - now, this person has Netflix, that person has FX, this other person has Apple TV, someone else has Amazon Prime, or Disney + etc., etc. Another thing I don't like about streaming is that at anytime a provider can drop a program. When I bought a DVD, that show was mine forever (or at least the life of the disc). And what happened to special features? Are we seeing the end of the audio commentary?

It's sad how better technology and easier distribution hurt the actual product. I hope it's only a painful transition, but who knows? I bumped into this short video few days ago, and it seems to fit here:

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I see fewer and fewer DVDs in stores and I don't like it. Not only that- many programs (especially on Disney + which I'm not a subscriber of) are not even made available on DVD. I miss the days when everybody around the watercooler could talk about TV shows, because everybody could watch them free on their TVs - now, this person has Netflix, that person has FX, this other person has Apple TV, someone else has Amazon Prime, or Disney + etc., etc. Another thing I don't like about streaming is that at anytime a provider can drop a program. When I bought a DVD, that show was mine forever (or at least the life of the disc). And what happened to special features? Are we seeing the end of the audio commentary?

I also prefer having the movies and TV shows on DVD so I can watch them whenever I want to, and not have to depend on them being available to stream somewhere.

One thing that I like about streaming is that a lot of DVDs come with an option for a digital download, and I've found that many people buy the DVD, download the movie, and then sell the DVD cheap at garage sales.

Yeah we're definitely getting screwed couple things that really bother me.
  • "New" content has year plus delays so if you like a show you have to be prepared to skip years between seasons.
  • Streaming sites have terrible interfaces so finding old movies or different genres is hard...except for Netflix but they don't have anything old.
  • Certain streaming sites refuse to do physical releases which is what I've given as gifts...now I have to buy booze.

I don't know if this is a common problem with streaming, but I was streaming with Paramout+ and on several episodes I couldn't fast forward or reverse a show I was watching.. if I did, the video stream got stuck but the audio kept playing. That's a major headache.

If you purchase the streaming video it will always be in your video library whether or not the provider drops it. I don’t need special features & rarely watch them.

I also prefer having the movies and TV shows on DVD so I can watch them whenever I want to, and not have to depend on them being available to stream somewhere.

One thing that I like about streaming is that a lot of DVDs come with an option for a digital download, and I've found that many people buy the DVD, download the movie, and then sell the DVD cheap at garage sales.
Again, if you purchase the streaming video it will always be in your video library.

Hopefully DVDs will make a comeback someday in the same way that vinyl records have made a comeback.
Vinyl records are very much a niche market. Plenty of people still buy DVDs, including me.

If you purchase the streaming video it will always be in your video library whether or not the provider drops it. I don’t need special features & rarely watch them.

I don't own any Apple devices, but I've read articles about people losing music from their Apple music library. I wouldn't want to take that chance with my movie library.

With DVDs, I don't have to rely on the streaming service keeping my movies safe.

Boldly going.
If you purchase the streaming video it will always be in your video library whether or not the provider drops it. I don�t need special features & rarely watch them.

Again, if you purchase the streaming video it will always be in your video library.

Vinyl records are very much a niche market. Plenty of people still buy DVDs, including me.
Not all streaming shows are available for download.

I don't own any Apple devices, but I've read articles about people losing music from their Apple music library. I wouldn't want to take that chance with my movie library.

With DVDs, I don't have to rely on the streaming service keeping my movies safe.
I hear you. I would hate that, but I have never lost anything from my Amazon video library & I’ve been with them for many years now.

I hear you. I would hate that, but I have never lost anything from my Amazon video library & I’ve been with them for many years now.

There's a first time for everything, and I don't want to take any chances.

If you purchase the streaming video it will always be in your video library whether or not the provider drops it. I don’t need special features & rarely watch them
They could vanish from your library. I remember the first time I bought a film off Prime and something like this came up and I hesitated before buying:

If I read this correctly off Amazon:

i. Availability of Purchased Digital Content. Purchased Digital Content will generally continue to be available to you for download or streaming from the Service, as applicable, but may become unavailable due to potential content provider licensing restrictions or for other reasons, and Amazon will not be liable to you if Purchased Digital Content becomes unavailable for further download or streaming.

Not all streaming movies are available for purchase. Netflix has a number of them, some of wish I could buy from... somewhere.

I'm pretty sure there is no guarantee that video will always remain in your library. I recall I once had an e-book in my kindle library disappear for like 6 months. I still don't know what was up with that.

I have also seen movies and books become unavailable for purchase remain in my library. It's been more often the latter than the former, but I wouldn't to careless and take things for granted on that front.

They could vanish from your library. I remember the first time I bought a film off Prime and something like this came up and I hesitated before buying:

If I read this correctly off Amazon:

i. Availability of Purchased Digital Content. Purchased Digital Content will generally continue to be available to you for download or streaming from the Service, as applicable, but may become unavailable due to potential content provider licensing restrictions or for other reasons, and Amazon will not be liable to you if Purchased Digital Content becomes unavailable for further download or streaming.
Interesting. Well, if they disappear, which they never have done, I will live with it.

I am one person who do not think that the current streaming service is bad, but I prefer they allow us to download movies on our hard-drive and save them. I prefer to purchase downloads of movies and save them to my external hard-drives rather than purchase dvds. Sadly, no one offers this service due to fear of someone distributing the files illegally. Rather than streaming or dvds, I will have prefer movies downloads.

BKB
V-STOCK if you have one near you takes care of all the DVD/Blu Ray needs along with Books and Games too..

BKB
Not all streaming movies are available for purchase. Netflix has a number of them, some of wish I could buy from... somewhere.

I'm pretty sure there is no guarantee that video will always remain in your library. I recall I once had an e-book in my kindle library disappear for like 6 months. I still don't know what was up with that.

I have also seen movies and books become unavailable for purchase remain in my library. It's been more often the latter than the former, but I wouldn't to careless and take things for granted on that front.
I've purchased movies from AMAZON Prime and 3 months later, nowhere to be found.. Not sure what's up with that??

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Streaming sucks because connections freeze, etc., .and it's no way to watch a movie, that's supposed to be a fluid form of consciousness, a river of talent, hopefully. I also don't care for DVDs. One tiny scratch, and there goes so much of a movie. I like watching movies on TCM - no commercials, no freezing, and usually some cool documentary about the actor and/or director just featured, as well as some tidbits about the movie, although people who were involved are dying or already dead.
Lately, I have been watching (good) movies on YouTube, usually by finding the channel a great movie is on, and then giving the other movies a chance, just like I do here.

A good way to watch and find movies is to simply go to a search engine and type a year, then go to Video tab and Duration:Long...I find all sorts of movie that way AND I find all sorts of legal platforms to watch the movies...Search engines no longer include illegal streaming/download sites in their results, so if you see a site listed it's legit.

I just typed 1954 at DuckDuckGo, Video tab,Duration:Long...
I got these results:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=1954&t=lm&...deos&ia=videos

Try it, it works on most all search engines not just DDG.

Still torn. I agree that we lose something, maybe a lot of somethings, by moving so heavily to streaming. On the other hand, it's hilariously convenient and relatively cheap and 90% of the time, simply better for that reason alone. I expected to maintain a really strong connection to physical media, but I was wrong, I've moved to streaming to a greater degree than I had thought possible.

My only real concern is that the demand for the deluxe editions and all that stuff will shrink enough that they stop being made, or at least are made much more rarely. On the other hand, the stuff I really end up loving will, presumably, also usually be loved by enough other people to still justify that sort of thing. But it will be a shame for those marginal cases where it would have happened before and won't happen now.

My own behavior shows that I clearly think of this as, mostly, a good trade-off, though, whatever I might say while feeling idealistic.