Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Long Story Short (2021) Directed by Josh Lawson, this comedy is about a man who wakes up the day after his wedding to find that every few minutes a year of his life goes by. This was fantastic and I loved it. Rafe Spall is wonderful and he has really good chemistry with Zahra Newman. The film is really well written, smart, funny, and with a lot of heart. Highly recommended.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://d1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net...ant-poster.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=42285787

The Immigrant - (2013)

One of those films that I wanted to see, but held off for ages in the fear it would be rather average. It was good, and worth watching - especially for Joaquin Phoenix who I felt was head and shoulders above the rest performance-wise. Marion Cotillard is Ewa Cybulska, who has just arrived in early 20th Century America from Poland and is always one small step away from being deported - this is why she holds close to Bruno Weiss (Phoenix), a pimp and scoundrel who nevertheless has a kind and upstanding side to his personality. His love for Ewa (who hates him in return) often clouds his judgement, but he can sense nothing will ever happen between the two of them, especially after he forces her to sleep with clients. Ewa's sister is in an immigrant infirmary, suffering from tuberculosis and needs a great deal of money urgently - thus Ewa's willingness to do what she does. Jeremy Renner makes an appearance as Orlando - a magician and Bruno's cousin who also has eyes for Ewa, which provokes Bruno to extreme violence. It keeps James Gray's record intact in my eyes - I love The Lost City of Z, have grown to admire Ad Astra after initially disliking it and thought We Own the Night was really good. I have 3 of his films to go. The Immigrant is an easy to watch, nicely scripted and enjoyable drama.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Clan of the White Lotus

Pretty simple story about a guy seeking a little revenge after White Lotus kills his brother. Why did White Lotus kill his brother? Because that killed guy helped kill his brother. Of course the guy is no match for the White Lotus...yet. A little training, a new technique and we'll see what happens. Story is easy enough to follow but what makes this a ton of fun is the fight choreography. It's impressive. The fights are long, there's lots of them and they are all great. The opening credit fight isn't the best but it's opening credit stuff. Once that guy up there visits the village for the first time is when things start getting wild. Not my fav Kung Fu movie but it's one of the best for sure. A lot of this movie feels very familiar.

This was also a lot of fun if watching people melt is fun. A drug that has a few minor side effects is being tested on folks living in a suburban cul de sac. The side effects are listed on the poster. This was much better than I expected. It was funny, it was gross, had a plot and some solid acting, not bad.

Another Henry James adaptation. Not 100% faithful to the original, but that’s okay. Helena Bonham Carter so good in this. And she’s so pretty naked too. Linus Roache also excellent.

Another James adaptation. Some very silly bits that I fast-forwarded through, but the rest was very good. The three leads are excellent.

Excellent movie from Australia based on a true story. Mia Wasikowska made this movie for me. @xSookieStackhouse, have you seen it?

This should be in the documentary thread. I have it in my watchlist, but it’s only available on prime, which I don’t have. It does look extremely good.

The Farewell - I'm a fan of Awkwafina. I've heard numerous people mention that they think she's annoying and hard to watch but I'm a fan of her TV show and thought she did a fine job in Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. Anyway, she stars as Billi Wang, a 30 year old aspiring writer and pianist. She's lived in the United States most of her life, having emigrated as a young child with her father Haiyan (Tzi Ma) and mother Lu Jian (Diana Lin).

She notices her parents acting strangely and they reluctantly tell her that her paternal grandmother Nai Nai (Shuzhen Zhao) has been diagnosed with stage four lung cancer and has only weeks to live. They're planning on traveling back to Changchun, China to see her one last time under the pretext of Billi's cousin from Japan Hao Hao (Chen Han) getting married. The rest of her extended family are also gathering but Billi's parents tell her she shouldn't go because she's sure to get emotional and give the whole thing away.

She ends showing up on her own anyway and the rest of the film is devoted to the large, dichotomized family and their interactions. There's plenty of different takes on Chinese life as opposed to those who chose to leave and make a life in the US and Japan. There's also plenty of disagreement as to whether or not it's right to keep their matriarch's ultimate fate from her.

This is based on a true story with a script written by director Lulu Wang and to hear them tell it, this sort of subterfuge is cultural and widely accepted in China. It doesn't end up playing that large a role because at it's heart this is a warm and loving family drama that outshines any philosophical or cultural differences.

The cast does such a marvelous job and Lulu Wang's script is so good-natured and affectionate that this could be anybody's family. I liked the closing moments with Billi back in NYC. It's a sweet and fitting ending but then there's this ... yeah, it's better just to watch it for yourself. Good movie and yes, recommended.

85/100

This should be in the documentary thread. I have it in my watchlist, but it’s only available on prime, which I don’t have. It does look extremely good.

It was incredible...all self-respecting Lucy fans should watch it...I thought I knew a lot about Lucy but even I learned stuff I didn't know. A lot of great home movies that I've never seen are included too.

It was incredible...all self-respecting Lucy fans should watch it...I thought I knew a lot about Lucy but even I learned stuff I didn't know. A lot of great home movies that I've never seen are included too.
Yes, the trailer itself is terrific. Will wait & see if Amazon will offer it to non-prime members.

The Farewell - I'm a fan of Awkwafina.
This is based on a true story with a script written by director Lulu Wang and to hear them tell it, this sort of subterfuge is cultural and widely accepted in China. It doesn't end up playing that large a role because at it's heart this is a warm and loving family drama that outshines any philosophical or cultural differences.

The cast does such a marvelous job and Lulu Wang's script is so good-natured and affectionate that this could be anybody's family. I liked the closing moments with Billi back in NYC. It's a sweet and fitting ending but then there's this ... yeah, it's better just to watch it for yourself. Good movie and yes, recommended.

85/100
Yeah, this is a great film. Incredibly powerful and funny and human.

The Farewell - I'm a fan of Awkwafina. I've heard numerous people mention that they think she's annoying and hard to watch but I'm a fan of her TV show and thought she did a fine job in Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. Anyway, she stars as Billi Wang, a 30 year old aspiring writer and pianist. She's lived in the United States most of her life, having emigrated as a young child with her father Haiyan (Tzi Ma) and mother Lu Jian (Diana Lin).

She notices her parents acting strangely and they reluctantly tell her that her paternal grandmother Nai Nai (Shuzhen Zhao) has been diagnosed with stage four lung cancer and has only weeks to live. They're planning on traveling back to Changchun, China to see her one last time under the pretext of Billi's cousin from Japan Hao Hao (Chen Han) getting married. The rest of her extended family are also gathering but Billi's parents tell her she shouldn't go because she's sure to get emotional and give the whole thing away.

She ends showing up on her own anyway and the rest of the film is devoted to the large, dichotomized family and their interactions. There's plenty of different takes on Chinese life as opposed to those who chose to leave and make a life in the US and Japan. There's also plenty of disagreement as to whether or not it's right to keep their matriarch's ultimate fate from her.

85/100
loved her on shang-chi and the legend of the ten rings

Promising Young Woman (2020)

Rewatch, and I still think this might be my favorite movie of 2020. It goes a couple different directions that seem immediately incorrect while you are watching it, but it comes together so well by the end.

Heh. I like that how that well placed sticker changes the tagline to read, " ... and the third phase is ... Australian."

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Life at the Top (1965), also starring Harvey, is a solid sequel worth checking out also. It has a slightly cheaper and trashier feel which in some ways seems appropriate.
I'll look for that one THANKS

The Subject was Roses (1968)

Martin Sheen plays a WWII vet returning home to a broken catholic marriage between Patricia Neal (Hud), and Jack Albertson(Willy Wonka). If you like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf this is a good one to watch. It's basically about the collapse of a family told like a play.

The Lavender Hill Mob - 1951 heist comedy from Britain's Ealing Studios. The film opens in Rio de Janeiro as Henry Holland (Alec Guiness) is dining with a friend and handing out generous end of year tips to staff and acquaintances. One of these "acquaintances" is a young woman named Chiquita who looks remarkably like a very young Audrey Hepburn (that's because it actually is her in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo). Henry starts telling his dinner companion the why and wherefores of how he came to be in Rio and spraying money around like a fountain. The rest of the story is in flashback. Of how Henry was an unambitious and humdrum bank clerk in charge of delivering gold bullion from the foundry to the Bank of England. He had however held a long term and covert desire of making off with a shipment.

The arrival of artist Alfred Pendlebury (Stanley Holloway) to his boarding house provides Henry with the impetus to see his plan to fruition. Pendlebury happens to own and operate a foundry that makes souvenirs and tchotchkes that are then exported to France. This serves to get around Henry's biggest obstacle which is getting the impossible to fence plunder out of England. Before the pair even have a chance to get the scheme rolling Henry's supervisor throws him a curveball and arranges a promotion that will cut off his access to the delivery process. Having only three days till Henry's very last delivery they hurriedly make arrangements to find the missing two members of their "crew". Needing genuine, hardened criminals they come up with a clever way of having the crooks come to them. Soon enough Lackery Wood (Sid James) and Shorty Fisher (Alfie Bass) have been recruited.

This being from the same studio that brought us The Ladykillers there are surprises and twists and narrow escapes galore. So much so that the problematic yet triumphant heist is just the beginning of the countless hurdles Holland and Pendlebury have to get past.

I like these type of British caper movies and the era they're set in. I have no way of knowing if this is how they actually played out in real life but it's all so civil. Even the requisite manhunts and investigations don't carry the tinge of ruthlessness of their American counterparts. I suppose I'm also partial to these Ealing Studios productions having thoroughly enjoyed The Ladykillers. Now I need to familiarize myself further with Kind Hearts and Coronets and The Man in the White Suit and maybe Passport to Pimlico. As far as this one goes it's thumbs up from me.

90/100