The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

LOL, unfortunately I only had a quote in there but if anyone's interested for more of my take on it, you can check out these two episodes of my podcast:

Episode 18, where I briefly talked about it after watching it (around the 15 minute mark)

Episode 69, where I listed it among my Top 5 films directed by women (around the 1:15:00 mark)

Enjoy!
Yeah, I saw that. It just didn't feel right leaving you out for some reason.

The truth is in here
Yes, yes, yes! I'm extremely happy Portrait Of A Lady On Fire made the countdown! I was worrying about it more and more the longer it was taking to show up, so the fact that it even squeezed into the top 25 is nothing short of amazing.

The title is describing not just the plot of the film itself, but the way it's filmed is also much like a beautiful painting with multiple layers underneath that gives it extra meaning. It tells one of the greatest love stories ever put to screen, and with almost minimal dialogue. The looks in the actors' eyes say more than words themselves can, though when they do speak you can hear the passion flow out of every sentence. It's true cinematic magic in motion.
WARNING: spoilers below
Alas, as with most forbidden love stories it can't last forever. And when Marianne and Hélöise were forced to separate from each other, my heart shattered to a thousand pieces! Both were aware they would never experience that kind of love or happiness ever again, forever to be trapped in marriages to men they don't feel anywhere near as strongly for. The final scene where they stare at each others' faces in the theatre from a distance, being reminded once again what they lost and will never get back... I cried so much it felt like I was never gonna stop.

Not just number 1 on my list, but would make my top 25 of the best movies ever made. A stunning achievement in every way possible.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is OK.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire is OK OK.

The beginning heralded a bad film, but it developed quite nicely. Very good arthouse for normies )))))

Aaah, I've become too lenient in recent years. Once upon a time, I would probably call it mediocre without thinking about it. It didn't move me at all, and nice shots are interspersed with careless ones. But abortion buddies and non possum fugere won me over.

By the way, this is the second French film where someone cries at the end, and I don't feel it at all. However, this one is much better than Call Me by Your Name.

PS: It's not a question of sensitivity. I'm much more sensitive to art than I used to be. It's just a matter of "leniency" and a greater love of cinema in general. Typical late stage capita... I mean, cinephilia.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
I haven't really been trying to guess what my picks' chances are, but I figure I'll do it once.

1. Definitely
2. Definitely
3. Silence (2016)
4. No
5. Probably
6. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
7. Possibly
8. Definitely
9. Definitely
10. Probably not
11. John Wick (2014)
12. Definitely
13. Definitely
14. Definitely
15. No
16. Definitely
17. No
18. Definitely
19. Probably not
20. No
21. The Irishman (2019)
22. The Lighthouse (2019)
23. Before Midnight (2013)
24. Definitely
25. Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

I predict three more of mine will make it, leaving me with 8 on the countdown. Seems par for the course for me with these things.

My ballot predictions:
1. Will Make It
2. Wonderful animated movie that won't make it
3 Wonderful animated movie that won't make it
4. Heartbreaking foreign movie that won't make it
5. Will Make It, Maybe Even #1
6. Sexy and weird foreign movie that won't make it
7. Joker (#60)
8. Django Unchained (#27)
9. Will Make It
10. Joaquin Phoenix Movie That Probably Won't Make It
11. The Man from Nowhere (#95)
12. Wonderful animated movie that won't make it
13. Solid and entertaining movie that won't make it.
14. Inside Out (#59)
15. Heartbreaking foreign movie that won't make it
16. Wonderful animated movie that won't make it
17. Wonderful animated movie that won't make it
18. Solid and entertaining movie that won't make it.
19. Sexy and kind of creepy drama that won't make it
20. Jojo Rabbit (#89)
21. Joaquin Phoenix movie that won't make it
22. Wonderful animated movie that won't make it
23. Should-be guilty pleasure that I don't feel guilty about, never had a chance
24. Idyllic romance that won't make it
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Maybe I'll get lucky and some of these "won't make its" will surprise me and show. Not holding my breath though.

Dear God. Spiderman? Really people? It just gets worse,...

No, of course I haven't seen it, what's your point?

Seen none of the others too. Could watch Django were it not 3 hours and overbloated. He was already getting to bloated by Jackie Brown, so by the time we get to Django Unchained! I can only imagine how bad he's gotten.

Seen both, voted for neither. Somewhat surprised at either of them figuring this high tbh but that's what can make these countdowns so much fun.

Seen: 61/76 (Own: 37/76)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
1 The Descendants
2 Will make top 10
3 Manchester by the Sea
4 may miss now, crazy
5 won't make it
6 didn't think would miss but I think it's missing now
7 Gravity
8 will make top 10
9 questionable
10 will make
11 Moonrise Kingdom
12 Take Shelter
13 Melancholia
14 will make probably top 10
15 The Avengers
16 no
17 will make
18 1917
19 will make
20 no
21 no
22 maybe this missed?
23 no
24 maybe
25 no

Like 14/25. I assumed it would be around 18 but it's been a weird countdown

The Spider-Man animated film looks like it could be decent fun.

Put me in the camp that thinks Portrait of a Lady on Fire is a decent film. I wasn't blown away like a lot of people, but then I loved Petite Maman which I thought was a magical little film.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Now I may be one of the bigger Comic type movie fans left on this site, but....

Spiderverse at 26?!??!?! What the hell is wrong with us. This is way too damn high.

A system of cells interlinked
No votes and have not seen Portrait of a Lady on Fire. I have seen Into the Spiderverse a few times, and I it is certainly great fun. Didn't have a chance of making my list, though.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Surely a cinephile as terminally online as yourself knows about the great Paul W.S. Anderson reclamation project.
I never bothered to read up on that, though the sheer number of 5/5 ratings for it on Letterboxd was always perplexing. Is it supposed to be seen as a new canon masterpiece just like Miami Vice? Both are terrible.

Welcome to the human race...
I never bothered to read up on that, though the sheer number of 5/5 ratings for it on Letterboxd was always perplexing. Is it supposed to be seen as a new canon masterpiece just like Miami Vice? Both are terrible.
Yes, that is correct. Speaking of Miami Vice, I have to wonder if anyone voted for Blackhat, Michael Mann's sole contribution to 2010s cinema. That would've had a good chance of being a one-pointer.

raul's list of what's left is pretty good but I think a few don't make the cut. Whether they are replaced by blockbusters that have wide breadth of viewers, or highly regarded arthouse or international films that end up very high on say 10% of the lists...that remains to be seen. I don't think that 26 makes it. I think 22 or 23 of them do.
Nailed it x2! Sort of. Both are very good films but where Into the Spider-Verse was a movie that I went in with lower expectations despite the mainstream hype I ended up liking more than I expected, Portrait of a Lady on Fire was a film I went in with higher expectations due to different style of hype only to have it not quite met. That's fine though like I said both good movies and my reactions to this specific pair says a bit about me maybe.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."