Alec Baldwin accidentally kills crew member with prop gun

Tools    

The truth is in here
I think it's a bit tasteless keep linking this clip. As far as we know he never actually hurt someone, and considering the battles he's had with aphasia it feels like kicking him while he's down. Let McClane enjoy his retirement.

I think it's a bit tasteless keep linking this clip. As far as we know he never actually hurt someone, and considering the battles he's had with aphasia it feels like kicking him while he's down. Let McClane enjoy his retirement.
Yeah, but in conjunction with the Rust incident, I think it's fair to bring up, since it will bring greater awareness of gun safety on sets from here on, and hopefully help avoid any more tragedies like the one Baldwin was involved in from happening. Speaking of which...

Well, it turns out, according to the FBI, that Baldwin did pull the trigger, so he's lying. His comments in the article sound like those of a crazed lunatic.

Were this a British murder mystery, the bigger question is how the bullets got in the gun. Baldwin obviously doesn't want to be responsible and has been in a stark white heat panic about the incident since day one, and truthfully, assuming that he didn't actually mean to murder someone in full view, on a movie set, he probably didn't know what he did for a couple seconds prior to the shots so he's scrambling for the best possible "truth". I did that on many occasions as a kid, trying to figure out how the vase got broken on the floor after my mom heard the crash. Baldwin is the kid standing over the vase....."it jumped off the table".

I doubt that we will ever know exactly who handled the gun, who put live rounds in it, how many people handled the gun before Baldwin unknowingly pulled the trigger and importantly, why. Was it an accident or did someone have a purpose and motive. If so, how could that person know who would be shot and whether the shot would be fatal? Was this a ham-fisted attempt to ruin a movie production by a disgruntled worker? We're going to be hearing about this one now and again for a while. Meanwhile, the medical examiner seems to be punting.

https://www.voanews.com/a/medical-in...-/6703124.html

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Well, it turns out, according to the FBI, that Baldwin did pull the trigger, so he's lying. His comments in the article sound like those of a crazed lunatic.
That's because Baldwin is a crazed lunatic.

That's because Baldwin is a crazed lunatic.
Yeah, but like most crazed lunatics, he probably would not commit murder in full view of witnesses and cameras. I don't especially like him, but this charge does not pass any stink test. Somebody behind the scenes screwed up and has spent a couple years of sleepless nights hoping that the story simmers down before they get caught. The other possibility, a hapless, incompetent accident has not been documented yet.

Were this a British murder mystery, the bigger question is how the bullets got in the gun. Baldwin obviously doesn't want to be responsible and has been in a stark white heat panic about the incident since day one, and truthfully, assuming that he didn't actually mean to murder someone in full view, on a movie set, he probably didn't know what he did for a couple seconds prior to the shots so he's scrambling for the best possible "truth". I did that on many occasions as a kid, trying to figure out how the vase got broken on the floor after my mom heard the crash. Baldwin is the kid standing over the vase....."it jumped off the table".

I doubt that we will ever know exactly who handled the gun, who put live rounds in it, how many people handled the gun before Baldwin unknowingly pulled the trigger and importantly, why. Was it an accident or did someone have a purpose and motive. If so, how could that person know who would be shot and whether the shot would be fatal? Was this a ham-fisted attempt to ruin a movie production by a disgruntled worker? We're going to be hearing about this one now and again for a while. Meanwhile, the medical examiner seems to be punting.

https://www.voanews.com/a/medical-in...-/6703124.html
Good points. What astonishes me is that scores of live rounds were present on the production set. I can't think of a single reason for that. A live round would never be necessary.

https://www.newsweek.com/alec-baldwi...report-1746382

Did he ever turn over his phone to police?

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
A settlement has been reached between Alec Baldwin and the Hutchins family. Matthew Hutchins announced the film will resume production in January and he will be serving as an executive producer as part of the settlement and will receive a portion of the film's profits.
https://pagesix.com/2022/10/05/alec-...391.1664990064

A settlement has been reached between Alec Baldwin and the Hutchins family. Matthew Hutchins announced the film will resume production in January and he will be serving as an executive producer as part of the settlement and will receive a portion of the film's profits.
https://pagesix.com/2022/10/05/alec-...391.1664990064

I just don't know how you complete the movie after this has happened. You killed someone on set and you're going to go back and play with guns as a cowboy some more? Really?

Settles out of court with the family.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...-set-rcna50823

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Alec Baldwin Sues ‘Rust’ Armorer and Crew for Giving Him a Loaded Gun

The actor, who had been sued after fatally shooting a cinematographer on the film’s set, filed a cross-complaint accusing crew members of negligence for putting live ammunition in the gun.

The actor Alec Baldwin filed a lawsuit on Friday against several people associated with the film “Rust” — including its armorer and first assistant director — accusing them of negligence for giving him a loaded gun on the set that fired, killing its cinematographer.

Mr. Baldwin made the allegations in a cross-complaint, which follows a lawsuit filed against him last year in Los Angeles by Mamie Mitchell, the film’s script supervisor. Mitchell had sued him and several other people associated with the film for their alleged roles in the shooting, which she said had caused her severe emotional distress.

His suit names Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the film’s armorer, who was in charge of handling guns and ammunition on set; Dave Halls, the first assistant director, who handed the gun to Mr. Baldwin that day and declared it safe; Sarah Zachry, the crew member in charge of props; and Seth Kenney, who has been described as the primary supplier of guns and ammunition to the film set. A lawyer for Mr. Baldwin, Luke Nikas, wrote in the complaint that they had not fulfilled their professional duty to maintain safety on set.

“This tragedy happened because live bullets were delivered to the set and loaded into the gun,” the lawsuit said. It accused Ms. Gutierrez-Reed of failing to check the bullets or the gun carefully; Mr. Halls of failing to check the gun carefully before announcing it was safe and handing it to Mr. Baldwin; and Ms. Zachry of breaching her duty as props master by failing to ensure the safety of the weapons and ammunition on the set.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/a...t-lawsuit.html

Alec Baldwin Will Be Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter in ‘Rust’ Killing

The film’s armorer will face the same charge. A cinematographer was killed when a gun Baldwin was rehearsing with went off. There was not supposed to be live ammunition on the set.

By Julia Jacobs and Graham Bowley
Jan. 19, 2023, 11:06 a.m. ET

The actor Alec Baldwin will be charged with involuntary manslaughter for handling the gun that discharged on the set of “Rust,” killing its cinematographer, as will the movie’s armorer, who loaded the gun, prosecutors in New Mexico announced on Thursday.

The criminal charge was a remarkable development in the career of Mr. Baldwin, 64. He has been a household name for decades — a leading man in films who hosted the Oscars and played Jack Donaghy in “30 Rock” and former President Donald J. Trump on “Saturday Night Live.”

He has long denied culpability, noting that he had been told the weapon he was rehearsing with on the set did not contain live ammunition. “Someone is ​responsible for what happened, and I can’t say who that is, but I know it’s not me,” Mr. Baldwin said in a television interview last year.

The film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, who was responsible for the guns on set, was also charged with involuntary manslaughter.

The film’s first assistant director, Dave Halls, who handed Mr. Baldwin the gun that went off, agreed to plead guilty to negligent use of a deadly weapon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/19/a...c-baldwin.html

You ready? You look ready.
Dave Halls is a smart man. I commend him on accepting culpability
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I actually find this to be pretty surprising. I totally agree that Baldwin is civilly liable, especially in his role as a producer, and that he's morally culpable, but criminal prosecution for involuntary manslaughter because he did not check the gun that he fired before doing so, when he was already told by the person that handed it to him that it was a cold gun, and the armorer was in charge of ensuring that, seems to me to be a heavy charge based on these facts. What does everyone else think of Baldwin being criminally charged? Is it warranted, and do you think they will be able to obtain a conviction? Do any of the reports list the specific reason he is being charged, as an actor/producer, based on specific actions he took or didnt take?

The armorer being criminally charged makes more sense to me under the facts, as her entire job was to ensure safety on the set, there was live ammunition found, which is a huge violation and led to the death. She didn't check the gun before being used in the scene or hand the gun to Baldwin during the scene, all of which are violations of her duty, and it's a foreseeable consequence that reckless actions like that and the failure to do those things could result in someone dying.

I actually find this to be pretty surprising. I totally agree that Baldwin is civilly liable, especially in his role as a producer, and that he's morally culpable, but criminal prosecution for involuntary manslaughter because he did not check the gun that he fired before doing so, when he was already told by the person that handed it to him that it was a cold gun, and the armorer was in charge of ensuring that, seems to me to be a heavy charge based on these facts.
I agree. I think it’s very extreme and likely fuelled by the media frenzy (arguably may not have otherwise happened). But I also acknowledge it’s kind of hard to argue with. Very hard to isolate this one from public perception.