The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Have not seen either of the first two on the list, but I have seen Shanghai Express which didn't quite make my list and Seventh Heaven is my One Pointer.

Oops. I also saw Seventh Heaven from the one-pointers. (I didn't recognize it from the movie poster. ) I liked the movie a lot, but it didn't make my list.

Footlight Parade, Stage Door, and Grand Hotel all aired on Turner Classic Movies within the past few months, so I saw all three of these movies. Footlight Parade came very close to making my list, and it probably would have made my list if it was a top 30 or 35. I also considered both Stage Door and Grand Hotel for my list, but both movies were among my early cuts.

I haven't seen The Bitter Tea Of General Yen, The Charge Of The Light Brigade, or Camille.

For anyone who wants to watch this, The Charge Of The Light Brigade is scheduled to air on Turner Classic Movies this Wednesday (October 10th) at 8:15 AM EASTERN TIME.

CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTINGS FOR THE CORRECT TIME IN YOUR TIME ZONE!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Oops. I also saw Seventh Heaven from the one-pointers. (I didn't recognize it from the movie poster. ) I liked the movie a lot, but it didn't make my list.
I didn't recognize the poster either lol
it was only when chypmunk mentioned it did I realize it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
So far all this countdown has done has hounded me on some films I should have gotten to. And The Informer is another one of those films.

So far all this countdown has done has hounded me on some films I should have gotten to. And The Informer is another one of those films.
Don't feel bad, I haven't seen the last two either...Though the John Ford's The Informer looks like a strong drama and the Sherlock Holmes one looks like great fun for a cold winter night. I hate to say that I've never seen the great Basil Rathbone as the super sleuth.

Did rewatch The Hound Of The Baskervilles which is a nice version of the well known yarn but unfortunately it wasn't quite good enough to make my final ballot. I also watched a few from Ford but sadly The Informer wasn't one of them.

Seen: 2/8
My list:
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931)

The Informer was very good but didn't quite make my list.

I've heard of The Hound of the Baskervilles but didn't even know it was a movie. It looks cool.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Hound of the Baskervilles was my #15. A good version of a classic story with plenty of spooky fog and atmosphere.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I didn't vote for either but both are highly watchable. You can watch The Hound of the Baskervilles on YouTube and hear the infamous closing line, "Watson, the needle."

John Ford's direction of The Informer is both expressionistic and poetic, as evidenced by this clip.

Saw Baskerville quite a few times in my youth, been ages since seeing it and it did not make my list. And Informer was one I was looking to see and did not get to and then forgot to continue my search for.

Watched 5/8 (62.5%)
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven 1 Pointer

Sherlock Holmes one looks like great fun for a cold winter night. I hate to say that I've never seen the great Basil Rathbone as the super sleuth.
As a kid I only knew Rathbone AS Holmes (and the Sheriff of Nottingham in Errol Flyn's Robin Hood) and for the longest time I only saw him when talking about Sherlock Holmes and had a hard time seeing anyone else in the role.
Though I still consider Nigel Bruce as the epitome of Dr Watson to this day.

and thanks @mark f for posting the link for youtube. I had COMPLETELY forgotten about that final line.

It's been forever and a day since I've seen the Rathbone version of The Hound of the Baskervilles. More recently the Peter Cushing version was the one I watched. I've seen part of The Informer but it was late at night and I couldn't finish it as my eyelids were heavy, but some day. Still 0/0 on making the list, but enjoying it immensely.

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn):
92. The Bachelor And The Bobby Soxer
91. Another Thin Man