Great Movies DESPITE Bad Acting?

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Star Wars!

I'll need a minute to think...
I'll need longer than that. Bad acting usually destroys movies for me.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'll need longer than that. Bad acting usually destroys movies for me.
Same.. However, when I was driving, I thought of one movie, but by the time I got home to my laptop, I forgot

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
El Mariachi

Driving Miss Daisy is a classic that I still enjoy. And Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freernan turned in perfect performances.

But Dan Akroyd just struck a bad note - his acting was leaden and uninspired at best. Preposterous attempt at s Southern accent as well. I don't know why they ever picked him. Didn't destroy the movie for me, but did occasionally make me wince.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Billy Zane in Titanic may have been a bit off as well, but I like him in other movies.

The truth is in here
This is the first movie that popped into my head when I saw the title of this thread:

Eh, I don't think the acting is that bad. Plus if anyone rises above the cast it's Tippi Hedren.

It's a tough question since usually if I enjoy a movie which has bad acting it's only on a so-bad-it's-good level. When it comes to actual great movies... well, I guess acting in Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes isn't Oscarworthy, but it's still one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Some of the acting in Downrange is pretty bad, but it's still one hell of a creepy and intense movie. Even if I'm not the biggest fan of the ending.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm probably more likely to consider bad acting part of the film's greatness myself.

Most slasher classics fall into this category!

Rock music and action movie obsessed guy,
Dark Blue: Kurt Russell, Jonathan Banks, Brendan Gleason, and Ving Rhames are great, but Master P and Dash Mihok are pretty bad.

There are a lot of comedies that could fall under this category as they don't necessarily require good acting, but rather... comedic acting and timing.

Comedies often involve unrealistic situations and unrealistic reactions to situations to make them funny - thus people aren't acting like they would in real life, but are behaving in a way that is the opposite of realistic or in a way that is ironic to make it funny.

Now, it could be argued that to act funny and BE funny is a form of "good acting." And I would agree - good actors can usually be funny when needed and good comedians sometimes make decent actors since the art of telling funny stories & jokes is a skill related to acting - one must be able to engage an audience.

But I do contend that a lot of comedies don't require the traditional idea of good acting (behaving realistically, convincingly, passionately or dramatically) to still be funny.