Shakespeare in Love or Saving Private Ryan?

Tools    

Pvt. Ryan.

No contest.
Agree. Shakespeare in Love, IMO was unwatchable.

Don't remember either movie that well, but I sure wouldn't have given Shakespeare in Love the Oscar for Best Picture. The main thing I remember about Saving Pribvate Ryan is that it seemed 17 hours long, I didn't think that movie would ever end.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
What I remember most about Saving Private Ryan is that I couldn't sleep for three days. I saw that thing one time and I never wanted to watch it again.

What I remember most about Saving Private Ryan is that I couldn't sleep for three days. I saw that thing one time and I never wanted to watch it again.
One of my favorite movies. Seen it several times.

The truth is in here
Shakespeare In Love. I was so disappointed after watching Saving Private Ryan. It waxed too much in patriotism, and the "anti-war" message I heard about was only present at the beginning. Other than that, it seemed to show getting into a war and fighting for your country even if half your men end up dead is a great thing. After Ryan was found he could have listened to the others and gone back home safely, but instead he made a very selfish decision by staying and essentially forcing the others to stay with him. Didn't sit right with me.

It's not a bad movie by any means, but it's not great either.

I liked Shakespeare In Love, thought it was a neat movie and a fresh take on good ole Shakespeare. I liked Saving Private Ryan too. I find it limiting to think one has to like only one film and thus hating the other by default.

I was so disappointed after watching Saving Private Ryan. It waxed too much in patriotism, and the "anti-war" message I heard about was only present at the beginning. Other than that, it seemed to show getting into a war and fighting for your country even if half your men end up dead is a great thing.
If patriotism means fighting for one’s own country, then, so be it.

What should America have done in your opinion: stayed out of WWII & let the Nazis run rampant? Sweden, IIRC, was neutral, but not every country was in a position to take that stance.

Saving Private Ryan is a brilliant movie & it honors the American lives lost.

Saving Private Ryan is a cinematic masterpiece and one of the greatest war movies ever made with unforgettable scenes and performances.

Who even remembers Shakespeare in Love?? The Academy got it all wrong that year...
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Saving Private Ryan is a cinematic masterpiece and one of the greatest war movies ever made with unforgettable scenes and performances.

Who even remembers Shakespeare in Love?? The Academy got it all wrong that year...
Totally agree. I hated Shakespeare in Love. A very stupid movie.

Saving Private Ryan onlyy.

Shakespeare is definitely not a dreadful film using any and all means. Regardless, this isnt even remotely close. SPR by miles.

The Trueman show was better than both, that should have won best picture, but it wasn't even nominated.

Apart from that, I'd choose Saving Private Ryan over Shakespeare In Love.

The Trueman show was better than both, that should have won best picture, but it wasn't even nominated.

Apart from that, I'd choose Saving Private Ryan over Shakespeare In Love.
And Carrey didn't even get nominated for Best Actor. I do kinda blame him for some of the film choices he makes, which in turn causes people to not take him seriously. But he should have at least been nominated for Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.