Movies with STAR STUDDED CASTS..

Tools    

I was just looking at an upcoming movie, "Valentine's Day" and it's quite alarming how many stars have already joined the movie.
Just got me thinking...i KNOW Valentines day isn't a great example of star studded cast cuz the actual movie may very well suck, but how many other movies have a ridiculous amount of top actors?
I know this topic might be hard to write a response to, but i just thought it would be fun to know.

and makes me also wonder the rate of how well a movie is received at B.O and by critics with how many well known stars are in a film compared to a film with just a few top stars and other unknowns.

The Outsiders may have the best cast of then-unknowns who just about all went on to have some measure of career: Matt Dillon, Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Ralph Macchio and Diane Lane. None of them had really had their breakthrough role yet, all were big stars within a year or two.

Murder on the Orient Express has a high-wattage multi-generational cast, led by Albert Finney but also Sean Connery, John Gielgud, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Anthony Hopkins, Martin Balsam, Vanessa Redgrave, Richard Widmark, Michael York, Wendy Hiller, Jacqueline Bisset, Jean-Pierre Cassel ...and that one was most definitely designed to be a who's who of acting giants.

Darryl F. Zanuck tried to pack as much international star power as he could into his D-Day epic The Longest Day. No female roles of note, of course, but a laundry list of actors from John Wayne and Henry Fonda on to Richard Burton, Robert Mitchum, Peter Lawford, Robert Ryan, Rod Steiger, Sean Connery, George Segal, Sal Mineo, Edmond O'Brien, Roddy McDowall, Red Buttons, Curd Jürgens, Gert Fröbe, Jeffrey Hunter, Steve Forrest, Richard Beymer, Eddie Albert, Mel Ferrer even pop stars Fabian and Paul Anka.

Dickie Attenborough's A Bridge Too Far tried to be a late 1970s equivalent WWII epic with Laurence Olivier, Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Anthony Hopkins, Elliott Gould, Dirk Bogarde, Edward Fox, James Caan, Denholm Elliott, Maximilian Schell, Ryan O'Neal and even Liv Ullmann.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Happy New Year from Philly!

Kiss of Death (1995) written by the great Ben Hecht in 1947 is a remake of the older movie. It stars David Caruso, Helen Hunt, Nicholas Cage, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Rappaport, Kathyrn Erbe, Stanley Tucci, Ving Rhames, Anthony Heald, Anne Meara and Hope Davis. It is a great movie about a car thief who has the world’s worst, karma, luck, fate, whatever you want to call it this guy’s life is in the crapper and he is scrambling to get out. Not only is it a terrific screenplay, with a great cast directed by Barbet Schroeder but who doesn’t enjoy watching Caruso get his butt handed to him. Nicholas Cage is great as an over the top psycho body builder with asthma. The scene where he is bench pressing one of the strippers at his club is priceless. The only thing I hate about this movie is the title. It is so generic that I can never remember it. But other than that, I tell ya, this movie rocks!

yeah, wow! can't believe i didn't think of murder on the orient express and a bridge too far! Those two have lists and lists of top actors haha

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
The Great Escape has quite a few notable persons. I'm dissapointed in myself as well that I didn't think of Murder on the Orient Express. I never really thought of it this way before, but Charade has a lot of great actors as well: Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau, James Coburn, George Kennedy.

That whole era of '70s disaster movies from the original Airport, The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno up to when the subgenre pretty well petered out with the aptly titled and dreadful When Time Ran Out, much of the gimmick was getting as many stars, has-beens and hopefuls crammed into the same frame as the disaster du jour killed them off one by one.

The Towering Inferno may have the best overall cast, boasting Newman and McQueen together for the first and only time with William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Fred Astaire, Robert Wagner, Robert Vaughn, Richard Chamberlain, Jennifer Jones, Susan Blakely, Dabney Coleman and O.J. Simpson!

Airport had Burt Lancaster, George Kennedy, Helen Hayes, Jacqueline Bisset, Dean Martin, Van Heflin, Jean Seberg, Maureen Stapleton, Gary Collins, Dana Wynter, Barbara Hale and Jessie Royce Landis.

The Poseidon Adventure boasted Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, Shelley Winters, Roddy McDowall, Stella Stevens, Pamela Sue Martin, Jack Albertson, Red Buttons, Carol Lynley and Leslie Nielsen.

Earthquake erupted with Charlton Heston, George Kennedy, Walter Matthau, Ava Gardner, Richard Roundtree, Geneviève Bujold, Lorne Greene, Victoria Principal and John Randolph.

Skyjacked abducted Chuck Heston, James Brolin, Rosie Greer, Yvette Mimieux, Claude Akins, Susan Dey, Mariette Hartley, Walter Pidgeon, John Hillerman, Jeanne Crain, Leslie Uggams and Piglet himself, John Fiedler.

Airport 1975 roared with Chuck Heston, George Kennedy, Karen Black, Gloria Swanson, Linda Blair, Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy, Susan Clark, Helen Reddy, Sid Caesar, Jerry Stiller, Beverly Garland,Larry Storch, Erik Estrada, Norman Fell and Efrem Zimbalist Jr.

The Hindenburg's humanity included George C. Scott, Charles Durning, Anne Bancroft, Gig Young, Burgess Meredith, Rene Auberjonois, William Atherton, Katherine Helmond, Richard Dystart, Peter Donat and Joe Turkel.

The Swarm buzzed with Henry Fonda, Michael Caine, Katherine Ross, Fred MacMurray, Richard Widmark, Ben Johnson, Patty Duke, Cameron Mitchell, Olivia de Havilland, Lee Grant, Richard Chemberlain, Alejandro Rey, José Ferrer, Bradford Dillman and Slim Pickens.

Airport '77 sank with Jack Lemmon, Jimmy Stewart, Joseph Cotten, Olivia de Havilland, Christopher Lee, Lee Grant, Brenda Vaccaro, Robert Foxworth, Gil Gerard, Kathleen Quinlan, M. Emmet Walsh and of course George Kennedy.

The Concorde: Airport '79 was a supersonic bust with Alain Delon, Robert Wagner, Cicely Tyson, David Warner, Mercedes McCambridge, John Davidson, Eddie Albert, Ed Begley Jr., Avery Schreiber, Martha Raye, Sylvia Kristel, Bibi Andersson, Sybil Danning, Charo, Jimmie "Dyn-o-mite" Walker, and the ubiquitous disaster movie must-have George Kennedy.

Meteor hurtled toward Earth with Sean Connery, Natalie Wood, Henry Fonda, Brian Keith, Martin Landau, Karl Malden, Trevor Howard, Richard Dystart and Sybil Danning.

Finally When Time Ran Out... they tried to assemble someone from just about all of those previous disasters with Paul Newman, Jacqueline Bisset, William Holden, Eddie Albert, Ernest Borgnine, Burgess Meredith and Red Buttons plus James Franciscus, Veronica Hamel, Alex Karras, Valentina Cortese, Barbara Carrera and Pat Morita!

The brilliant parody of Airplane! (based on the spine of a disaster movie from an earlier era, 1957's Zero Hour!) coupled with the novelty having worn off put an end to the all-star disaster pic, many of which were produced by Irwin Allen.

Happy New Year from Philly!
The brilliant parody of Airplane! (based on the spine of a disaster movie from an earlier era, 1957's Zero Hour!) coupled with the novelty having worn off put an end to the all-star disaster pic, many of which were produced by Irwin Allen.
God bless the Zucker Bros!

Those disaster pics and the Cannonball Run movies put me off any movie with a "star-studded cast" for a long time.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
God bless the Zucker Bros!

Those disaster pics and the Cannonball Run movies put me off any movie with a "star-studded cast" for a long time.
I never thought about it before, but I think I had the same reaction! I still shy away from them, lol.

I mean you could say that Sylvester Stallone's upcoming, "The Expendables" is one of these so called star-studded movies. Not a disaster flick or relating to any of the aforementioned, but still:
sly, jason statham, jet li, dolph lundgren, steve austin, bruce willis, arnold schwartzenneger, mickey rourke. i think it was in sly's every intention to make an ultimate action hero movie, with successful action icons from the past decades uniting in one balls-out action flick.

I can only think of Pulp Fiction at this point. Harvey Kietel, John Travolta, Samuel L Jackson, Bruce Willis, Ving Rhames, Uma Thurman, CB Dollaway, Eric Stoltz, Tim Roth, the bloke from The Mask..

The Outsiders may have the best cast of then-unknowns who just about all went on to have some measure of career: Matt Dillon, Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Ralph Macchio and Diane Lane. None of them had really had their breakthrough role yet, all were big stars within a year or two.
I know that C. Thomas Howell never made any award winning films, (No offense Tommy baby. I enjoy your films.) so you left him off the list, but did you have to put Tom Cruise so close to the start? He wasn't even a believable tough guy. Why? Whyyyy?

That whole era of '70s disaster movies from the original Airport, The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno up to when the subgenre pretty well petered out with the aptly titled and dreadful When Time Ran Out, much of the gimmick was getting as many stars, has-beens and hopefuls crammed into the same frame as the disaster du jour killed them off one by one.
Don't forget Avalanche (1978). Although I'm sure you want to.

Rock Hudson ~ David Shelby
Mia Farrow ~ Caroline Brace
Robert Forster ~ Nick Thorne

I've only seen it once. That one scene had me bustin' a gut. That lady was out there ice-skating, spinning around like crazy, and poof . . . She was gone. Now who in the hell wouldn't hear that coming!?!

I can only think of Pulp Fiction at this point. Harvey Kietel, John Travolta, Samuel L Jackson, Bruce Willis, Ving Rhames, Uma Thurman, CB Dollaway, Eric Stoltz, Tim Roth, the bloke from The Mask..
The problem is that most of them weren't stars. Bruce Willis was the only true, A-list star at the time of casting. Actually, looking at that list, I'm not sure most of them are A-list stars now.