Best Cover Songs Ever

Tools    

And this is my BOOMstick!
Joe Ramone's version of What a Wonderful World.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Rush: Feedback. The entire album is great!
I almost bought that one but then I forgot and never got around to it.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Tainted Love - Soft Cell (orig - Gloria James)

Sweet Jane - Cowboy Junkies (orig - The Velvet Underground)

Step On - Happy Mondays (orig - John Kongos)

I Fought The Law - The Clash (orig - The Crickets)

Mad World - Gary Jules (orig - Tears For Fears)

One - Johnny Cash (orig - U2)

Money - The Flying Lizards (orig - The Beatles)

Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (orig - Gene Pitney)

Wonderful World - Nick Cave & Shane McGowan (orig - Louis Armstrong)

Raspberry Beret - Hindu Love Gods (aka REM + the Late Great Warren Zevon), (orig - Prince)

Thousands Are Sailing - Christy Moore (orig - The Pogues)

....but my all time fave is:

Shiny Happy People - The Fatima Mansions (orig - REM) - More than a cover, Cathal Coughlan's version of REM's cheesy, ironic bit of fluff is a nasty, profane and quite brilliant diatribe against homophobia. It's even got sampled Nuns!!

I am having a nervous breakdance
"Powder Finger" - Cowboy Junkies (Neil Young & Crazy Horse)
"All Along the Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan)
"All Mixed Up" - Red House Painters (The Cars)
"Rock'n'Roll Singer" - Mark Kozelek (Ac/Dc)
"Everything Flows" - J Mascis & The Fog (Teenage Fanclub)
"Cortez the Killer" - Built To Spill (Neil Young & Crazy Horse)
"Fields of Gold" - Eva Cassidy (Sting)
"One Love/People Get Ready" - Bob Marley & The Wailers (Curtis Mayfield, "People Get Ready")
"Just Like Heaven" - Dinosaur Jr (The Cure)
"You Keep Me Hanging On" - Vanilla Fudge (The Supremes)
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Tori Amos (Nirvana)
"I See a Darkness" - Johnny Cash (Bonnie Prince Billy)
"In My Mind" - Will Oldham (David Allan Coe)
"Policy of Truth" - Terry Hoax (Depeche Mode)
"Last Caress" - Metallica (The Misfits)
"Down On the Street" - Rage Against the Machine (Iggy & The Stooges)
"Jailbreak" - Fu Manchu (Thin Lizzy)

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Joe Cocker-With a Little Help From my Friends

Powerhouse - Steroid Maximus & the chrome cranks (Raymond Scott)
Punish or be Damned - Flux Info Sciences (The Screamers)
Hey Good Lookin' - The Residents (Hank Williams)
Sand - Einsturzende Neubauten (Lee Hazlewood)
Yu Gung - Pussy Galore (Einsturzende Neubauten)
Lets get Physical - The Revolting Cocks (never hoid the original)

Originally Posted by linespalsy
"Physical" is an Olivia Newton-John hit from 1981.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

(never hoid the original)

Lucky you...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

Yes!

What about "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" by Revolting Cocks.

Originally Posted by Loner
What about "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" by Revolting Cocks.
Well, I certainly like it better than the Rod Stewart original. To be honest, Revco's a band I can only take in small doses, I like the singles best. Crackin' up and Physical are the high points for me. Have you ever heard Ministry's other side project, Lead into Gold? It's excellent.

Speaking of Rod Stewart, I'd like to add the blind casio-family's cover of Young Turks, from Winners and Sinners to my list. Vast improvement on the original and one of the funniest scenes in the movie.

Well, I certainly like it better than the Rod Stewart original. To be honest, Revco's a band I can only take in small doses, I like the singles best. Crackin' up and Physical are the high points for me. Have you ever heard Ministry's other side project, Lead into Gold? It's excellent.
I understand what you mean about taking Revco in small doses.

Like the other version of (Let's Talk)Physical where all they say is "talk!" for almost fourteen minutes!

I haven't heard Lead into Gold.

That's Paul Barker's side project right?

Have you heard Lard?

It's Ministry and Jello Biafra from Dead Kennedys.

Aye, I've indeed heard Lard, though I don't own the Lard album. Actually all of this stuff on Ministry and related projects is from memory, it's been quite a few years since that stuff was on regular rotation on my player.

Lead into Gold was, I think mainly Paul Barker, and I recall Age of Reason being a really great album, but it used to be pretty rare.

Actually I kind of like the ten minute version of Lets get Physical (and dig this - the single of that song has a different extended version, which is also just a looped sample, but a different looped sample!) The stuff I really find hard to stomach is the really embarrasingly cheesy humor Revco often delves into, like the last track on Linger Fickin' Good.

And you've actually got me listening to Big Sexy Land now, it's been quite a while.

Aye, I've indeed heard Lard, though I don't own the Lard album. Actually all of this stuff on Ministry and related projects is from memory, it's been quite a few years since that stuff was on regular rotation on my player.

Lead into Gold was, I think mainly Paul Barker, and I recall Age of Reason being a really great album, but it used to be pretty rare.

Actually I kind of like the ten minute version of Lets get Physical (and dig this - the single of that song has a different extended version, which is also just a looped sample, but a different looped sample!) The stuff I really find hard to stomach is the really embarrasingly cheesy humor Revco often delves into, like the last track on Linger Fickin' Good.

And you've actually got me listening to Big Sexy Land now, it's been quite a while.
You G*d@#mned Son Of A Bitch!!!

So what do you think about that one?

My favorite song on Big Sexy Land is Attack Ships On Fire, maybe a Blade Runner reference?

Actually I kind of like the ten minute version of Lets get Physical (and dig this - the single of that song has a different extended version, which is also just a looped sample, but a different looped sample!)
You should seek professional help.

Phish doing Freebird acapella. hilarious stuff
And found he was eating his shoe.

A system of cells interlinked
Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows (Leonard Cohen)

A Perfect Circle - Love Song (The Cure)

Aerosmith - Come Together (The Beatles)

Rebekah Del Rio - Crying (Roy Orbison)

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan)

Johnny Cash - Hurt (NIN)

Aretha Franklin - Respect (Otis Reading)

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell Abbott 66-04
"Cat Scratch Fever" - Pantera (Ted Nugent)
"Daytripper" - Nancy Sinatra (The Beatles) Which is strange coming from me. Being the Beatles hating person I am.
"I Fought The Law" - Dead Kennedys

I'm having major mind blankage.

Someone Save Us College Kids
Nirvana-Where did you sleep last night
Just Like Heavan-TBS

Worst Cover-song ever
Under pressure by the Used and MCR