My blu ray won't play and I was told I have to update my player.

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I tired playing a blu ray, Dragon Ball Super, but it won't play. Nothing happens when you try to put it in. I was told for some reasons I have to upgrade. But do I, if a disc is not recognized?

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
If the player says it needs an update, it probably does.

What if it doesn't say it, and I am just going by my friend's speculation? Should I do the update anyway?

As for the region it doesn't seem to say on the cover, what region it is.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
If you ordered online, likely it's coded for another region. You can probably Google bluray region + keywords to figure a workaround. Else, your update probably won't make a difference. That is, IF it's a region thing. Which it may not be.

Can you contact the seller?

It was off amazon. However, the are two discs in the set and the other disc will play though. So would it be an incompatible region, if the other discs in the set plays right?

If one played I wouldn't assume region was the issue, but I have read reviews where people have ordered other region discs by mistake on Amazon.

Can you try it on a laptop? Or a friend's player? Seriously tho. Contact the seller. Amazon is pretty good with returns.

Oh okay, Amazon told me they couldn't help and it was not their responsibilty. All of my friends stream though, and non have actual blu ray players. I'll ask around.

You ready? You look ready.
This is precisely why I was so happy to see UHD discs drop region codes.

Can you link us to your blu-ray player and the disc you bought? That should be enough information for us to figure this out.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Have you tried other discs after this? My old PS3 broke and it didn't recognize the dual-layer (I think that's the term) discs any more but played the smaller discs just fine. So if this two-disc set is the movie on one and extras on another the extra disc might be single-layer and the film itself dual-layer.

I can get the exact blu ray player once I find the model number but it's a panasonic from 2011. I tried other discs and they play fine, but what does dual layer have to do with it though?

Dual layer is for more storage. Some older players can't read the newer dual layer discs.

That's not saying this is the problem, just what might be.

Dual layer is for more storage. Some older players can't read the newer dual layer discs.

That's not saying this is the problem, just what might be.
Oh okay. But will installing updates fix that?

Not sure. I was told to do it to see if it will work, but was reluctant cause not sure what will happen if I do.

I can't imagine that an update would harm your player. Unless its not from the manufacturer and some third party instead.

Read the notes on the update. There should be a description of what the update affects.

Is it possible the disc is bootleg, if not region encoded? I'm still not sure why Amazon made the statement they did if you bought it through them.