The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's my #17. It's awesome on the big screen. Wonderful animation, great songs and characters, twisted and delicious dark humor. Many highlights; here are a few:

The Nightmare before Christmas was my #1 as well.

Here it comes another famous movie I did not watch because I wrongly thought it was overrated. Man do I miss films when I think like that..

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

I've never liked a musical more than this one. I absolutly loved the movie, even tho it does not fit with Disney's style at all. And after reading the Wikipedia I have no idea why Burton got so much credit for the movie after everyone makes it clear that he wasn't there during the project, which took over 2 years.

Eitherway putting that aside, the soundtrack was wonderful, it just fit every scene, it didn't even get annoying ONCE. Also the gates in the trees for different towns, and at the end jumping into the "real world", oh that was something very original.

The effect of the movie just kept growing up until no animation movie seemed to be better than it. I hate comparing films to each other because it's almost impossible. But at my eyes, no one got better than this one. At least from the ones I've seen, which is not that many since I had problems with completing my list.

The main character is almost impossible to hate, he has this melodramatic background, which we all can relate to from time to time, and when he discovers the doors, it's just, the movie itself is so intense and good spirited and twisted in its own captivating way.

It was just magical and very enchanting and charismatic. And that's what I look for in a movie.

And as the defensor of my number 1 I have to say that it did deserve the spot. But if it got to this spot then Wreck-it Ralph should've gotten higher than it did. And I expect Up to be very high. (And hope)

Edit: I forgot how awesome the songs are as well!! I had them stuck in my head for the longest time.

And

Are my favorite songs, and of course the intro itself ^-^

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Nightmare Before Christmas is as close to a perfect movie as one can come. Everything about it hits the perfect note from character design, story, songs, fully realized world to the most delightfully sinister villain ever to grace the animated screen; The Oogie Boogie Man

Nightmare was an instant classic and Halloween tradition. It's good for Christmas too. Actually now that I think of it, just the idea of a Halloween/Christmas crossover is genius. And when has the message that we all have our purpose and place so just do you and let others do them been delivered with such zany fun originality?

Did I mention the songs? I'm one of those musical loving dorks that sing along with The Sound of Music at the top of my voice and I believe this film to contain some of the best songs to have ever been written for a movie. Kidnap the Sandy Claws and Oogie Boogie's Song are delightfully twisted and fun.

I grew up loving this movie and along with Roald Dahl, The Wizard of Oz and various others, it gave me one of the best worlds possible to escape to.

It looks like James and the Giant Peach didn't make the list and Nightmare is far too low. Both of those movies had a big part in forming what I would like and appreciate as an adult.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of those movies that didn't sound like my type of movie, so I avoided watching it for years. I watched it years after everyone else saw it because I heard so many great things about it. (I work as a dealer at sci-fi conventions, so I heard about it a lot. I even sold some of the toys, statues, and other collectible items from the movie long before I had ever seen the movie.)

When I first watched it, I couldn't decide if I liked it or not, but I knew that I didn't dislike it. As the days went on, I couldn't get the songs out of my head. I have since watched it numerous times, and I like it more and more every time I see it.

Now I love it, and it was #16 on my list.

Had it at 16. Saw it at the theater as a kid.

1. Frozen
2. South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
3. The Little Mermaid
4. Sleeping Beauty
5. Heavy Metal
7. Aladdin
10. Fantasia
11. Fantastic Planet
13. Bevis and Butthead Do America
16. The Nightmare before Christmas
17. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
18. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
19. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
21. Bambi
23. The Lady and the Tramp

The Nightmare Before Christmas was my number 22. It's a very original film, beautifully made and it's simply a joy to watch!

The Nightmare Before Christmas is my Sisters all time favourite movie, and one of the few Animated films my Mum has enjoyed but it's never worked on the same level for me as the rest of my family. If i'd watched it a younger age i feel like it would work alot better for me as an adult, like a few films on my list that without a certain sense of nostalgia i probably wouldn't enjoy as much now. I must admit i'm pretty happy that it missed out on the top 10, but it's stil an very good movie.

Nightmare Before Christmas did nothing for me, either. As far as I'm concerned, that was when Tim Burton started being annoying.

The Nightmare Before Christmas was my #2 film. Love love love it.

Only TUS and I have reviews of The Nightmare Before Christmas in the database right now. Here's part of mine (here's a link to the whole thing):

The tale itself is nothing grand; Jack decides to give Santa this Christmas off, and enlists the fearsome creatures of his own world as surrogate elves for Halloween Town's take on the holiday. The developments are fairly amusing and unique, but it is the style, flair, and music that keeps people coming back even fourteen years later. The film is a tremendous technical achievement, and one can easily sense the incredible care and effort that went into each of the film's many detailed frames.

13. Grave of the Fireflies - Voting Stats

Total Points: 468
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
30 Votes: Three 1st Place (25 pts. each), 2nd Place (24 pts.), Four 3rd Place (23 pts. each), 4th Place (22 pts.), Two 6th Place (20 pts.), 7th Place (19 pts.), Four 9th Place (17 pts. each), 10th Place (16 pts.), Two 11th Place (15 pts. each), 13th Place (13 pts.), 14th Place (12 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 16th Place (10 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), 18th Place (8 pts.), Two 20th Place (6 pts. each), 22nd Place (4 pts.), 24th Place (2 pts.), 25th Place (1 pt.)

I did not vote for this one.

It's a very well made, moving film and I have nothing but respect for it. However, the subject matter is entirely too bleak to lend it much rewatchability for me. I doubt I will ever watch it again.

Meh... . Sorry to the fans but i think Guaps hyperbole of this being the saddest, most powerful experience anyone can have sent me into this with sky high expectations that were sadly never met. Still like any Ghibli film it's very well made.

Grave of the Fireflies was the most powerful animation I watched, and it's one of the most powerful films I've seen of any kind. I had it at #6.

My list-

3. Rango
4. How to Train Your Dragon
5. Persepolis
6. Grave of the Fireflies
7. Animal Farm
8. Wreck-It Ralph
9. Fantastic Mr. Fox
10. Waltz with Bashir
11. The Plague Dogs
13. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
14. Mary and Max
16. The Wind Rises
17. Pinocchio
18. Charlotte's Web
19. Kung Fu Panda
20. A Town Called Panic
21. Fantastic Planet
24. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (Near miss)
25. How the Grinch Stole Christmas