Scream 5?

Tools    

That Scream franchise was doing so well...I really loved them...but I guess people got sick of those movies. I was thinking there would be a 5th.

I hope they're gonna style the title so it looks like SCREAMS (like the old upside down 5 approximating an S on a calculator).

Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett are directing.
Both directors work together a lot, having acted in, and directed, Ready Or Not, V/H/S, Devil's Due, and Southbound (plus others) together.

Neve Campbell, David Arquette, Courtney Cox and Marley Shelton are returning.

New cast are:
Jack Quaid (Hunger Games, Lucky Logan)
Jenna Ortega (Insidious 2, Iron Man 3)
Kyle Gallner (American Sniper)
Dylan Minnette (Prisoners, Let Me In, Don't Breathe)
Mikey Madison (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood)

Release date Jan 14th, 2022.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I only liked the first two, and it was pretty much dead for me by the 4th one. Not sure if they can do anything new with the material at this point.

I only liked the first two, and it was pretty much dead for me by the 4th one. Not sure if they can do anything new with the material at this point.
Which is kinda the point of the movie series.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
That's true, I guess I just thought the first two had better plots.

The first two are amazing, after that it was just cash grab if i can say

Been a while since I’ve seen these flicks.

I remember enjoying 1,2 and 4. I have watched those more than one time. The third I only saw once. Didn’t like it at all. But it’s been ages.

Not really interested in a fifth tbh.

Long wait, but I'm glad this happening. God help me I kinda love all the Scream movies, even the "bad" ones. Every one of them has some amusing or interesting angle (I was gonna say "hook" but...) and they continue to feel fresh. Obviously not to the degree of the first film, duh, but they're always such a good time. Looking forward to this.

Welcome to the human race...
I think the long wait is a good thing. If a major part of what makes Scream what it is comes down to its commentary on horror movies, then it makes sense to let time pass and for new trends to emerge. 2 and 3 were rushed out in quick succession and just play like diminishing returns on the original (the third just settles for Hollywood jokes more than anything), but 4 came out over a decade later after a wave of remakes and had much more to comment upon as a result. If 5 follows suit, it can acknowledge how else the horror landscape has changed in the meantime - I do have to wonder what a Scream movie would make of the rise of "elevated" horror.

Apparently, it's going to take a page out of Halloween's book and just call itself Scream without any numbers or colons or anything. Much like the 2018 Halloween, it's going to reset the continuity as well.

Didn't they try to reset the continuity with the TV series that nobody watched and got cancelled because it was a terrible idea?

Sigh. I was looking forward to 5Cream.

Didn't Halloween (2018) mark the third time they'd reset the continuity and end up being considered one of the best sequels (if not the best) in the franchise?

No idea any more tbh, Iro.
These horror franchises have reset over and over so many times it's hard to track.

Although thinking about 5Cream doing the same thing... does actually fit in with the series' Meta writing.

No idea any more tbh, Iro.
These horror franchises have reset over and over so many times it's hard to track.

Although thinking about 5Cream doing the same thing... does actually fit in with the series' Meta writing.
i agree and scream 1-2-3 were better and wish they would stopped after number 3