Documentaries

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Climate: The Movie (The Cold Truth) (2023)

For those who suspect that the so called "climate crisis" is a scam, this documentary completely refutes the international climate hoax and the reasons behind its proliferation. Featuring well established respected scientists, they reveal why human beings have nothing to do with changes in climate.

So this somehow negates An Inconvenient Truth, in which many well established and respected scientists have applauded as being accurately portraying the science?

There is a new documentary on the Lee Marvin movie Point Blank. I haven't been here long enough to post a link. If you search for it on YouTube it will come up.

So this somehow negates An Inconvenient Truth, in which many well established and respected scientists have applauded as being accurately portraying the science?

Looking it up, the film appears to be filled with the same dumb talking points that are always brought up. So if anyone actually wanted to be educated on this subject, they would have at least learned what the response to these dumb talking points are, instead of scurrying back towards them for the ten millionth time.

The internet has made one thing very clear over the years. With all of the information to be found on it, people do not use it to inform themselves. They use it to barricade themselves from proper debate of any and all issues.

It sucks that I have to say this, but: no more editorializing about your documentary if doing so constitutes a political argument. You can certainly post that you watched it, give it a rating, whatever, but no using it to subvert the No Politics rule. Future posts like that will be removed.

Some documentaries I saw last year...

Brooklyn Bridge (1981, Ken Burns)
South of the Border (2009, Oliver Stone)
Shake Hands with Danger (1980, Herk Harvey)

Rory Kennedy documentary about the tragedy on this island in New Zealand when a volcano erupted. 22 people died & many more were seriously burned by steam.

Excellent documentary about session men who were never credited on the albums they played on. Now they have credit. A lot of old timers who can still perform & perform as well as ever.

Journalist meets with her maternal grandfather to find out why he sexually assaulted little girls, including members of his own family. He was convicted of this.

All Things Must Pass -

If you also consider Tower Records one of your favorite stores of all time or even if you have just heard of it, you should watch this. It's a very satisfying talking heads documentary about the rise and fall of the definitive American record store. If you've assumed such an establishment had a cool CEO - and not a "cool CEO," if you know what I mean - you would be right because that's who Russ Solomon (who we sadly lost in 2018) was. Doing most of the talking, he outlines his business philosophies that fascinate not just because they explain the store's success, but also for how alien they seem in this day and age. The way he describes how he allowed entry-level employees to rise through the ranks to upper management - many of whom also appear in this - and did not bother with a dress code make it clear that the store was very much run by and was thus for music lovers. Speaking of, former employee Dave Grohl and enthusiasts Bruce Springsteen and Elton John are on hand to provide accounts of their loving experiences. We also get to see lots of amusing footage of Elton John stocking up on music in the same way survivalists stocked up on essentials before Y2K. Thankfully, there is plenty of footage like this and photos from inside the stores, and there's no shortage of both on display here, not to mention from all of the company’s eras.

While it can't be helped, the story behind the franchise's decline is similar to those of other physical media giants. It's also not nearly as interesting or sexy as the story of its rise. It is researched just as thoroughly, at least, and it's not like it's without emotion. The movie still stands as a fulfilling tribute to the company and to the era when record stores mattered. It also demonstrates that not everything that went in decline due to the convenience of the internet will be so easily missed.