My Favorite "Triple Threat" Performers

Tools    

Dick Van Dyke

Most people remember him for his critically acclaimed sitcom, but he was a song and dance man long before that, winning a Tony Award for Bye Bye Birdie and reprising his role in the film version. To showcase his skills as a dancer (a skill for which he received no formal training), I have posted "Me Ol Bamboo" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and those who never thought of Van Dyke as an actor, check out this scene from The Comic where he played a former silent film star named Billy Bright.

Will Gene Kelly make the cut ?

Or Audrey Hepburn ?

Gene Kelly will...Audrey Hepburn was not much of a singer
Have you ever heard her audio recordings of the songs from the movie My Fair Lady? She actually sang pretty good. It's a piety they dubbed her.

Debbie Reynolds

It was a short trip from being a teenage Miss Burbank to getting signed at MGM to star with Gene Kelly in the iconic Singin in the Rain at the tender age of 18. In a career that spanned over 60 years, Reynolds did it all. I wanted to show off Reynolds' dancing skills somewhere other than Singin in the Rain, so I chose a production number called "A Kiss or Two" from Hit the Deck. And to showcase her severely underrated talents as an actress...check out this scene with Don Rickles in the 1960 film The Rat Race:

I'm glad to see that Debbie Reynolds made the list. Most people only know her from Singin' in the Rain, but she's done some great movies. I think she's very underrated.

Dick Van Dyke

Most people remember him for his critically acclaimed sitcom, but he was a song and dance man long before that, winning a Tony Award for Bye Bye Birdie and reprising his role in the film version. To showcase his skills as a dancer (a skill for which he received no formal training), I have posted "Me Ol Bamboo" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and those who never thought of Van Dyke as an actor, check out this scene from The Comic where he played a former silent film star named Billy Bright.

Dick Van Dyke would be much higher on my list. You don't have to look much further than "The Dick Van Dyke Show" to see why he's a triple threat. He's the main reason why it's one of my all-time favorite shows.

Ann-Margret

This voluptuous Swedish export made her film debut playing Bette Davis' daughter in the 1961 film A Pocketful of Miracles and it wasn't long before she was making movies, doing television specials, performing in Vegas, a long and glorious career which included earning an Emmy and two Oscar nominations. I have posted her singing "How to Lovely to Be a Woman" from Bye Bye Birdie and a scene from one of her Oscar-nominated performances in Carnal Knowledge.