Scene creep

Tools    

I call it scene creep. Got that from some forum a long time ago. Not sure what others call it. This is where you remember a scene all wrong and/or get two different scenes scrambled together.

I just watched the clip from Godfellas for the "Am I a clown?" scene. My memory said that the waiter that was shot in the foot was the one in that scene. But no, they are two different scenes. The waiter was shot for not bringing a drink then trying to explain it. The clown scene was just a joke between friends.

I read a long time ago about how our memories cannot be trusted. And I experience that with movies a lot.

A bucket of anxiety
I usually get this with the way something was said in a scene. Recently, while working on my detailed critique of Thanos, I brought up the scene where the Hulk crashes on the stairs and said, "Thanos is coming," in that whispery, trailer voice, but I remembered it as, "Thanos is coming...THANOS IS COMING!!" But I guess that isn't necessarily the same thing...
So I guess another example was when I was trying to remember the Titan fight and I thought Thanos threw the moon before he got tied up. Turns out it was the other way around and I had completely forgotten that he hit Iron Man and knocked out a large portion of the team. So in my head it was, he threw a moon, Iron was angry, they tied him down and he got angry and started fighting the Avengers one at a time for some reason.

A bucket of anxiety
I'm sure I have more, just none I can think of at the moment and they probably consist more of just making up what happened in the scene, to the point of having character make different faces and put them in different outfits...guess you can say that's a little worse than sequences in the wrong place lol

Oh yeah, for sure. A quick perusal through the Movie Questions forum shows how often people's memories conflate things over times, even entirely different movies. Occasionally I'm sure something happened one way, even in my favorite films, and it happened another way entirely, or out of order, or what have you.

Probably just a product of memorable things sticking out, whereas "filler" scenes fade, leaving no gap between the two.