Total film's 100 Greatest movies

Tools    

Here to support the villians.......
So the film magazine has done a list of the 100 Greatest movies, and here are the results:

1 GoodFellas
2 Vertigo
3 Jaws
4 Fight Club
5 The Godfather Part II
6 Citizen Kane
7 Tokyo Story
8 The Empire Strikes Back
9 The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
10 His Girl Friday
11 Persona
12 Chinatown
13 Manhattan
14 Taxi Driver
15 It's A Wonderful Life
16 The Apartment
17 Once Upon A Time In The West
18 All About Eve
19 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
20 Apocalypse Now
21 Crash
22 Sunrise
23 The Godfather
24 Rear Window
25 Sunset Boulevard
26 The Third Man
27 Some Like It Hot
28 Raging Bull
29 La Regle Du Jeu
30 Reservoir Dogs
31 Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid
32 Les Enfants Du Paradis
33 Star Wars
34 The Searchers
35 A Matter Of Life And Death
36 2001: A Space Odyssey
37 Touch Of Evil
38 Badlands
39 Monty Python And The Holy Grail
40 ET: The Extra-Terrestrial
41 The Last Picture Show
42 One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
43 Heat
44 Annie Hall
45 Mean Streets
46 Nashville
47 Blade Runner
48 Singin' In The Rain
49 Pulp Fiction
50 It Happened One Night
51 Aliens
52 Sullivan's Travels
53 The Deer Hunter
54 Miller's Crossing
55 Kiss Me Deadly
56 The Shawshank Redemption
57 Sweet Smell Of Success
58 Die Hard
59 Blue Velvet
60 The Outlaw Josey Wales
61 Halloween
62 The Night Of The Hunter
63 The Matrix
64 The Conversation
65 8 1/2
66 Se7en
67 L'Atalante
68 This Is Spinal Tap
69 Sideways
70 Dawn Of The Dead
71 North By Northwest
72 The Terminator
73 Hoop Dreams
74 Raiders Of The Lost Ark
75 The Wild Bunch
76 Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
77 Lawrence Of Arabia
78 The Graduate
79 The Wicker Man
80 Day For Night
81 The Shining
82 Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
83 The Wizard Of Oz
84 Metropolis
85 The King Of Comedy
86 Kind Hearts And Coronets
87 Donnie Darko
88 Get Carter
89 Rio Bravo
90 Psycho
91 Dekalog
92 Back To The Future
93 Salvador
94 Magnolia
95 The Usual Suspects
96 Stand By Me
97 Trainspotting
98 Casablanca
99 Three Kings
100 Goldfinger

thoughts?

Whilst I am pleased Goodfellas is no.1, The Usual Suspects at no.95 is a complete joke.

I am merely a vessel
Every one of these kinds of lists has a flaw and the biggest problem I have with this one is Texas Chainsaw Massacre at #19 while Psycho is at #90. I would like to here them justify that choice.....

......and is The Good, the Bad and the Ugly even on the list?!?!

I am having a nervous breakdance
There are plenty of jokes in that list...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

District B13
I like Pulp Fiction being put all the way back at #49. Really the first list to do Pulp Fiction justice.

I keep searching inside my mind for a reason why the goodfellas always hits number 1 or top 5, I can't think of a single Reason. Godfather is better mafioso, it should be up there, and part 2 being a better sequel is hyperbole because it was the first GOOD sequel instead of ruining the series sequel.

Vertigo is immensely overrated on that list, give me rear window any day.

Just my opinions.

Half man, half machine
Weak list. Donnie Darko higher than Casablanca? Fight Club at #4?

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

"Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you." - Roger Ebert

So many good movies, so little time.
Overall I think the list is pretty good.

Weaker Ones

Fight Club
Texa Chain Saw Massacre
Die Hard
Halloween
The Matrix
This is Spinal Tap
Donnie Darko
Magnolia
Three Kings
Stand By Me
Heat
Rio Bravo
Sideways

Missing :

The Seven Samurai
Unforgiven
Double Indemnity
The Maltese Falcon
Rashomon
Ugetsu

I'm happy to see Blade Runner( continue to climb on lists like this) and Crash make the list.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

District B13
Originally Posted by uconjack
Overall I think the list is pretty good.

Weaker Ones

Fight Club
Texa Chain Saw Massacre
Die Hard
Halloween
The Matrix
This is Spinal Tap
Donnie Darko
Magnolia
Three Kings
Stand By Me
Heat
Rio Bravo
Sideways

Missing :

The Seven Samurai
Unforgiven
Double Indemnity
The Maltese Falcon
Rashomon
Ugetsu

I'm happy to see Blade Runner( continue to climb on lists like this) and Crash make the list.
Red = Vehemently Disagree

Also, I found Crash to be hyperbolic and unreal in many ways. Paul Haggis relied on stereotypes to drive a movie that would make better sense in the 70s.

Many people believe it is an essay on racism in the current day, I say it's jokes pulled from a shock comedian.

That being said I actually liked the movie, and I would have it in my top 100 any day.

Welcome to the human race...
Yet another list that counts all three Lord of the Rings movies in one slot. Brilliant.

Lots of good choices and some surprises (Spinal Tap outranks Raiders of the Lost Ark?) but makes sense.

The People's Republic of Clogher
So Empire-Lite (if such a thing is possible, but I think Total Film is an even worse magazine) has made a list eh?

There's actually some darn good choices on there, from my point of view, but, like anything Empire does, the whole thing has an air of attempting to be as tragically hip through watching the least number of movies as possible.

Were these films voted for by the Great British Public (for that read Total Film readers I guess for no letter dropped on my mat) or were they chosen by committee?

Surprised not to see scarface in that list and how did crash make the top 100 not even top 30.its laughable.

I thought The Big Lebowski should be in it too

In the Beginning...
I like Fight Club as much as the next guy, but number 4? I don't know about that. It's a great idea with a great twist and great execution, and it's got some deeper meanings that are really applicable today (namely, to my generation and below). But it's sitting above some giants like Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and The Shawshank Redemption, which are just much better films.

I'm ecstatic that Eternal Sunshine made the list, but there are no other Charlie Kaufman films on there. Bummer.

The Lord Of The Rings trilogy is overrated, imo. Not to say it isn't brilliant, but still overrated.

*Prepares for the onslaught*

A system of cells interlinked
Fight Club at number 4? Booooooo...

As for Scarface, it isn't on the list, and shouldn't be, as it is a pretty poor film, and I think more and more people are recognizing that, these days. Quite a few questionable picks on the list, IMO.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Sedai
As for Scarface, it isn't on the list, and shouldn't be, as it is a pretty poor film, and I think more and more people are recognizing that, these days. Quite a few questionable picks on the list, IMO.
I hadn't seen Scarface for years until recently and was surprised at how dated and.... well, crap it was.

To think it was the first film I ever rented too.

Man of La Movies
I had the same problems with the rankings as all of you, but I was also shocked and dismayed that I didn't recognize some of these films that this magazine considers the greatest ever...I think I may have to give myself some homework

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart

My Reputation: Holy Crap, I'm Well thought of!!!?? I think we're going a little far here??

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
i actually agree with fight club's listing, i thought it was an amazing film and i get more out of it every time i watch it

i think magnolia should be at a more respectable position

where was Sin City?

em...i didn't think much of fight club.....i thought it was a bit illogical and left the theatre feeling pretty disapointed...so i really don't know why that movie is being mentioned so many times on this forum....

District B13
Originally Posted by adidasss
em...i didn't think much of fight club.....i thought it was a bit illogical and left the theatre feeling pretty disapointed...so i really don't know why that movie is being mentioned so many times on this forum....
Illogical until the ending which explains it verbatim to you. That was the only dissapointing part of the movie.

You might've been dissapointed, but I wasn't, the movie was fawesome.