Napolean Dynomite sequel?

Tools    

Someone told me that there is going to be a sequel to Napolean Dynomite- does that movie really need a sequel?

No, not really.

People hate it, people love it. I saw the movie at a special screening about a year ago, before it hit all theatres. I enjoyed it a bit. It was new kind of dead-pan humor I thought, worthy of a viewing or two.

Did I expect it to get this big? Hell no. The only reason movies like this get big are because kids like to find something obscure and latch onto it, just to be different and cool (it happens with most music). They did it with Donnie Darko, they did it with Nightmare Before Christmas, and they did it with Fight Club.

Does any of it change my opinion on the film? Nope. It's decent. But it didn't deserve any of what it got.

And we say to ourselves, "Well if that were in a movie, I wouldn't believe it."

www.myspace.com/randeath - me

www.myspace.com/animasana - my band

Not really, no, though I don't think sequels are generally made because they're needed.

If they make one, however, and get most of the same people involved, I'd probably see it.

A system of cells interlinked
thiught the film was mildly entertaining, but wouldn't watch it again, and won't see any sequel.

PS. I plan on misspelling a word or two in each and every post today, to send the frog into hysterics. It shuuld be fun.

Now I need to go edit my web blerg.

It's one of those movies that so weird and stupid/funny that you can't help laughing. I enjoyed it, but I don't think you could possibly do a sequel, not for plot reasons (they can always find some stupid story to spin out), but because part of what made it funny in the first place was how low the production value was. If a major studio came in and put its glossy sheen on it, it would rob the movie of the whole off beat/indie vibe that made it funny.

I agree it was somewhat funny the first time around. But was it funny enough for a sequel? Hell no, it got lucky that it was big as it was the first time around.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
For the love of God, please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

A one joke movie that wasn't even that funny.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

District B13
**Warning**Hate machine initiated by mofo general **Warning**

As for me, making a sequel to Napoleon Dynamite would be like making a sequel to the Usual Suspects.

Let it be what it is, let it revel in it's deserved/undeserved credit and enjoy it/hate it, use it as a reason to attack Tim Burton, or whatever.

But please, do not, under ANY circumstance make a sequel. Because, like The Usual Suspects, it is a one trick pony, I don't mean viewable once or good for only one thing, but it's ideas and it's conventions can only be expressed one way. If you make a sequel it will be for name recognition only, or simply a plot/joke about the same thing.

Think the same thing can be funny over and over again? Apparently the creator of Family Guy did, and now, the Jew joke is 100% dead, the black jokes are 100% dead and we have grown no more than what we could've for the Simpsons, a funnier show.

So please, no more nappy D, it was good/bad once, and that's all it needs to be.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I agree that no sequel should be made, but because the first one is priceless as it is, not because it's bad. My kids and I can watch this movie more than once and laugh at something every single time. Heck, we didn't even notice the whole added scene after the end credits until about the third viewing!

What makes this movie funny is precisely why a sequel wouldn't work: It was different, unexpected, with people you'd never seen (until I saw John Heder on SNL last week I would have thought he was really like that in real life). Now that it's been done once, any sequel wouldn't have the "new territory" edge going for it.

Other movies that had this same dilemma (good first movie, impossible to recreate in a sequel) include Blair Witch Project and The Matrix. For very different reasons, all three capture the viewer precisely because they are so different from everything else out there. Once you've been there, done that, you can't go back to the first blush of newness.

Wonderfully funny movie. But doesnt need a sequel. Then again, barely any movies do, but we see the theaters being filled with crap sequel after crap sequel. Makes me cry.

District B13
Originally Posted by Austruck
Other movies that had this same dilemma (good first movie, impossible to recreate in a sequel) nclude Blair Witch Project and The Matrix. For very different reasons, all three capture the viewer precisely because they are so different from everything else out there. Once you've been there, done that, you can't go back to the first blush of newness.

Randomly visiting for now
It was funny to me because of it's insane silliness and I wouldn't mind a sequel as long as it doesn't wreck the silly culture surrounding it which is fun, "your mum goes to college", "you're like the only guy at school who has a mustache" or the "vote for pedro" t-shirts I've been seeing. Donnie darko was interesting and beautifully made (music, shots and all). Fight club had a compelling story and sucked me in. And it wasn't all because I was just following the KID culture as to what was popular.

Unless I am somehow creating the culture all by myself that everyone else is following.....

I'm skeptical, but if they manage to reassemble the original cast...then, i might be in for it.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Oh, don't get me wrong. Even after everything I posted above, if they came out with a sequel with many of the original characters, I'd go see it. I could picture a fairly entertaining Napoleon-in-college or Napoleon-in-the-office-job sequel. Would be quite as endearing as the first one, but it could still be funny.

I could picture Napoleon in Hollywood, for some reason

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'm for it. I think the characters are clearly drawn and Napoleon is an interesting enough character to make me curious what else might happen to him.

And as for the "kid culture" theory... That might be why Randeath liked those other films, but there was plenty of cinematic value in those films for those who can recognise it.

Welcome to the human race...
Perhaps it could be done like Kevin Smith and View Askew films - Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back all take place within the same movie universe yet aren't actual sequels. You could always set a second movie within the Napoleon Dynamite universe with similar oddball characters and events that people will connect with ND. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Not really, no, though I don't think sequels are generally made because they're needed.

If they make one, however, and get most of the same people involved, I'd probably see it.
Actually I think the only way a sequel would work is if it had nothing to do whatsoever with the first one. Otherwise it would just be another sequel, and like it or hate it N.D. is not just another movie.

The Green Lantern
Dear God in Heaven, NOOOOO!!!!! That movie SUCKED!!! I hated it so much. A former co-worker thinks it is the greatest movie ever made. But he solely listens to rap music and he is a pothead amoungst other things.
Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might.
Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light"

--Green Lantern Oath--

"The Green Lantern Corps has battled against the forces of evil and chaos for a millennium. To serve is the ultimate honor."