Elephant - A Randeath Review

→ in
Tools    

People write off these kinds of movies for ignorant reasons. First off, Gus Van Sant's Elephant took home Top Prizes at Cannes, an international snob-fest of a film festival, where everything but the ****ing films themselves are taken into consideration. Others will call this an artsy jerk-off fest: a film for those "intellectuals" you see in coffee shops wearing scarves who hate "corporate Hollywood" and discuss Tortoise albums over 5 dollar lattes.

But write-off Elephant and you'll be sleeping on a film that's 10 times more frightening than any "supernatural" ghost thriller being rehashed at theatres. Part of Elephant's appeal is it's use of real High School students rather than actors (the kids use their real first names). Much of the film is improvised by the kids, offering a very authentic teenage feel: Girls gossiping, stories at lunch time, parties after school, etc.

Some may grow tired waiting for the "action." Van Sant focuses his camera (sometimes for what seems like hours) on lone hallways, bathrooms, and outside areas for long periods of time. Wasted time? Hell no. We catch a glimpse of these students partaking in their day to day routines, exposed, un-filtered. We see three jealous gossipy teenage girls chatting away about football hottie Nathan. We see shy nerdy girl Michelle, afraid to wear shorts for gym class and being rediculed in the locker room. We see bleach-blonde John driving himself to school because his father (That's My Bush's Timothy Bottoms) is to drunk to drive, and then arriving to school late and getting a detention from an unsuspecting bonehead principal. We see real kids in real situations, and what some brush off as teenage stereotypes are all to real.

We also see young Alex, tormented by jocks and bullies. A shut off. The kind of kid who is unnoticed because he's not worth noticing. the kind of kid who would be intersting if you stepped out of your click to talk to him. A girl oversees Alex writing in a notepad. "What are you writing?" She asks. "My plans," he responds. For what? "You'll see."

Elephant isn't a film about what makes kids snap and go crazy. It's about day to day events, small ignorances, and brush-offs by people that can make someone feel un-important. It's about the things in every day life that can take all the feeling out of someone's heart. What starts as a slow-building documentary-like story suddenly turns bone-chillingly heart sinkingly horrifying as Alex and friend Eric approach the school, fully dressed in camo gear, holding duffel bags full of artillery (which they purchase off the internet with no hassle). "What are you guys doing?" asks John. "Get the **** out of here and don't come back," says Alex. "Some serious ****'s about to go down." It's the frightening moment that will have you glued to the screen for what is a shoot-out that almost made me throw up from shock.

Before they go, Alex says to Eric, "Remember to have fun, man." It's a slightly humorous, sick remark remaniscent to the brush-offs they've heard they're whole life. The film's titles refers to a big problem that we choose to ignore. Look closer at these kids, at these characters, and you'll see a story unfold that achieves a different kind of terror. A terror that is all to real.

excellent review. I just watched this movie last night, I thought it was very disturbing and real. The way the camera followed the students, we getting to hear their interactions. That was very real, we get to see teenagers and how they really are. I was shocked the way those two boys were having fun shooting these innocent people. It was disgusting. Did you notice that this movie had alot of similarities to the Columbine incident? the parents arent around, the boys watch videos about the Nazi's and they play violent video games.

overall, great movie.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I really enjoyed Elephant, I thought it was both intelligent and thought provoking.
It's slightly disturbing at how easy it appears to purchase weapons, but the feeling of alienation of the two boys is well worked.
A good film without being preachy like Michael Moore.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Originally Posted by adidasss
i thought it was a good film, i liked that he used amaters as actors, it gave it a realistic vibe, but i also found myself fastforwarding the long walks....
yea the walks kinda got tedious.

Originally Posted by adidasss
you chuck out the long walks and you get a movie that lasts half an hour...

Maybe they could have used a montage!!!
Michael Mann's got enough montages for the whole of Hollywood.

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Maybe they could have used a montage!!!
Michael Mann's got enough montages for the whole of Hollywood.
haha...every time i hear the word montage i think of matt stone and tray parker.....

i have to see that film

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
I really enjoyed Elephant, I thought it was both intelligent and thought provoking.
It's slightly disturbing at how easy it appears to purchase weapons, but the feeling of alienation of the two boys is well worked.
A good film without being preachy like Michael Moore.
Have you seen the other movie dealing with the randomness of murder also called Elephant, Darth? Link.

Much more satisfying for me. We've got a few elephants in the living room over here.

Thanks for the great review, I found this film quite disturbing.

A system of cells interlinked
Very cool. I will add this to my Netflix queue immediately...

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Have you seen the other movie dealing with the randomness of murder also called Elephant, Darth? Link.

Much more satisfying for me. We've got a few elephants in the living room over here.

Haven't seen that one, but now you've piqued my intrest!!!
I'll be like a man on a mission trying to find it, oh well, sleep's for loosers!

I got a good story behind this movie. I saw it on dvd release going through the aisle and seeing it and knowing Gus Van Sant for other things so I thought what the hell so I rented it, watched it and bought it the next day. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie there was just something about the actors that actually got you feeling for them. It was so well done I myself starting feeling nausea at the ending scene just cause that kind of stuff happens and they captured it so well in this movie.

Well on to the story, A little while later at the local theatre there is this Real Gems thing where it shows movies that usually aren't seen in theatres or little films that our area wouldn't get. So I thought what the hell might as well see it on the big screen. So I get there and find out that this group is run by a group of library loving senior citizens. There all there and i'm thinking to myself. "God are these people going to like this." Well the movie goes on and at the end on the walk out I hear one of the main library ladies saw. "Oh, Dont worry next time we'll have one thats a bit more entertaining." That just hit me. I'm like "Entertaining! This movie wasn't meant to be entertaining. This movie was there to inform you that this kinda crap goes down around the world. and you sit there thinking. Oh man this one isn't that good. Why would you run a movie fiesta thing (I wasn't to sure what to call it) if you dont think about the movie." And after a bit more ranting the lady kinda went quiet and it was the akward vibe that Mommy just hit daddy at the dinner table (Yes I stole that from Dane Cook) So we left the movie and yet we are to hear about another Real Gems thing. I think they stopped cause they couldn't afford it or something. But yep thats my little thing on Elephant.. Good review by the way.

Also to those who liked this film, There a knock off one out there with a different perspective but still the same story of school shootings and I find it more disturbing that this. I actually had to see special features to know if it was true or not it was that well done. Its called "Zero Day" so you people should check it out.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10