The Cabin In The Woods

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My brother Todd came over today and watched Drive and Attack the Block for the first time today and liked both, but he was really almost giddy about his seeing The Cabin in the Woods yesterday and said everyone has to go see it. What would you expect a Cinefantastique contributor to say?

I've only read "I FREAKING LOVED THIS MOVIE" and "The less you read about it, the better". Then I stopped and decided I'll either watch this in the theatre or 'acquire' it later on.

What do you recommend, Sus? Is this worthy of my € 9 to watch it in a theatre? Or is it a film I'd just as easily enjoy watching it from my couch?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It's a very self aware horror flick that blends horror and comedy. It's more funny than scary and has twists and turns.

If that sounds like something you would like, I say see it. If it still sounds iffy, wait.

It's currently my favourite film of the year, but that's more due to the fact that I love the genre.

Suspect's Reviews

Movie Forums Insomniac
It's a very self aware horror flick that blends horror and comedy. It's more funny than scary and has twists and turns.

If that sounds like something you would like, I say see it. If it still sounds iffy, wait.

It's currently my favorite film of the year, but that's more due to the fact that I love the genre.
It does have more humor than actual scares I agree. And it is a type of horror film for those who enjoy the genre in its capacity. I reviewed this a few days ago and I full agree with the fact that this is a well made gem.

Great movie and very refreshing. A horror flick with a captivating story-line? Those are words never used in the same sentence when describing this genre. But that's also exactly what sets this movie apart from all the others out there.

The movie doesn't take itself too seriously which is a good thing. It delivers the scares, humor, and all the other horror-film cliches that we come to expect but it does it in a way that doesn't feel intentionally cheesy or forced in any way. For the entire movie, the audience knows that there is going to be a big payoff at the end - the movie continuously hints to it itself. And even with this anticipation, we are not disappointed at the end.

I think this type of movie really transcends the shackles that have been used to judge the horror genre and I think that is certainly a good thing. All the cheap thrills and laughs of a good old fashion scare-fest but with quite a sophisticated twist to it as well. It definitely does a great job of rewarding loyal, hard-core horror fans and pays service to any audience members knew to the genre as well.

Great movie!

I actually really want to see this film from seeing the trailer.

Movie Forums Extra
It was chilling, All films related to cabins in the middle of nowhere bring a tingling feeling to my spine.

I enjoyed this one well enough.

On the surface it's a straight up Evil Dead parody with comic shades of Craven's Scream (the most obvious comparison) and more off-beat shades of Quentin Dupieux's Rubber (the 'audience' watching in the control room). Very knowing, and occasionally very funny, but not really that new when considering everything from The Most Dangerous Game (1932); to Natali's leaner and meaner Cube (1997), and the duff but influential My Little Eye (2002). i.e. it works better as a semi-serious spoof/homage to genre films than game changing horror, as some have billed it. I'd probably give this a modest
and will even buy the dvd for sh*ts and giggles, but it didn't blow my mind. Sorry.

[EDIT] Also add Fukusaku's Battle Royale to the list of flicks this one borrows from. Lots of similarities there.

this movie is bad

I went into this knowing that this was going to be unique, but not quite sure how. I had read an interview in which Joss Whedon said 'the less one knows about this film, the better', and I took that literally, avoiding trailers and reviews before hand. And boy am I glad I did.

This will be spoilery mini review:

WARNING: "The Cabin In The Woods spoilers" spoilers below
Gamechanger? I dunno, I think that Wes Craven/Kevin Williamson's Scream (and New Nightmare) might have something to say about that. Massively entertaining thrill ride? Absolutely.

Referencing an encyclopedia of horror tropes and iconography isn't a new thing, but not since Scream and, to a lesser extent, The Faculty have I enjoyed a meta-horror to the point where I wanted to immediately see it again. I mean, how many films can you guys name where at end the heroes would rather the world end than sacrifice themselves to save it?

The rather crucial theme of the voyeur's lust for violence and sex is also nothing new, but Whedon and Goddard's knife sharp wit gives theses scenes a freshness that has been lacking in a lot of similarly themed films for quite some time. I doubt this Hunger Games franchise will have a sequence in which a live sex scene is juxtaposed with spectators anxiously awaiting the arrival of the vintage 'titty shot'.

As expected from a Whedon production, I found the characters to be quite likeable and funny. Everyone seems to get their chance to shine, even the stoner guy who has some of the best one liners I have heard in a long time. The 'husband's bulge' will become a popular phrase because of this film the way in which MILF became with American Pie. Also loved his reactions during the scene where they unknowingly choose their fate. "I'm drawing a line in the ****ing sand here".

The only thing that sort of hinders this film from being scarier than it is is it is a bit too knowing, too smart for it's own good. The abrupt in-jokes and genre subversions do sometimes spoil the sense of dread, but when the film wants to be in scare mode, it's sometimes effortless. One particularly creepy moment is Jules' seduction of a seemingly dead wolf's head. I know nothing actually happened, but by that point in the film, you get the idea that the wolf coming alive could be possible, so I was watching through my fingers the whole time, hoping it wouldn't!

Anyways, no point saying more, except that I loved the references to, well, everything. Particularly loved how all hell broke loose in the final scenes. It's a terrific payoff even if the CGI is dodgy. ls it just me or does the Buffy actually like having rubbish looking CGI giant snakes??? I'm not sure if Whedon and Goddard were referencing the Mayor's transformation at the end of Graduation Day part 2, but I immediately thought of that when I saw it. Specially seeing as how it killed off an Angel cast member.

[/i]

I thought the movie was really good, amusing, and entertaining. I didn't realize that the movie was going to follow a different angle than the norm until watching the first scene. from then you would already know it's going to be a good film or whether you will like it or not. Definitely see it as soon as you can!

Welcome to the human race...
Saw it twice in theatres - no small feat considering it was late in the film's very limited run and it almost went to straight to video over here.

Anyway, yeah, I also can't quite bring myself to review it because of just how much the mystery deserves to be kept intact. But yeah, I pretty much agree with all that's been written here. Probably my favourite 2012 release so far.