violence, nudity and cursing in films

Tools    

history *is* moralizing

It's not a movie without it.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Cliffhanger could've toned down the language a bit. All those foul-mouthed, testosterone overdosing Brits. It's enough to make me spill my tea.

I think there is such a thing as tasteful violence. Some of the best movies are "kick-ass" films so to speak. There is also tasteful nudity. I'm not one to sit around and watch full on sex scenes, like, and I realize that sex sells, but please, I already know what all of that looks like and I don't think nudity and raging sex are necessary for a good film. As for "cursing," I am a firm believer in it. I do it all the time, I'm told I cuss like a sailor. However, I think there is a right way and a proper way to do it. So, given the posts that I've read I agree that Tarantino, who is also one of my favorites, does a tasteful job of all three. Not many can do that.

Yes, yes and yes

Seriously though, which I can be on birthdays and public holidays, if it's in the movie just for the hell of it then no, but if it is portrayed in an artistic way and helps to tell the story better then maybe, but the nudity should be minimal and only when absolutely needed or if the integrity of the actor/actress is not compromised just to sell a ticket or 2 million more.

why r u wearin that stupid man suit
oh my God,if I had a problem with that i would never have watched my favoutite movies,I think it is all just normal at this point,not only for me,is simply not something that makes you go "wow,ican believe they said that" or showed that,is not unexpected anymore.
First of all, Papa smurf didn't create Smurfette.Gargamel did.She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village.But the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario, well, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are assexual.They don't even have... reproductive organs under those tiny, white pants. It's just so illogical, about being a Smurf, you know? I mean, what's the point of living... if you don't have a dick?

[ Donnie Darko]

i think its great ... its potraiting reality ... people "curse" violence is reality .. and nudity couldn;t agree with it more .. in fact i hope they encourage more nudity in films .. i haven;t seen decent nudity since the late 80's .. everything since then can;t compare ..

however as for cursing .. well its nothing kids hear more cursing off TV than they'll ever hear out of a film ... why fight it if thats direction society is going let it ..

Violence .. well if the news shows it why can;t Films ..

i don;t think cursing, violence and nudity are considered taboo subjects anymore .. your now looking at politics, religions, incest, and phedophilia as the taboo subjects .. and those i don;t agree should be shown of film but its only a matter of time unfortuantly .. directors and script writers are having less and less orginal idea so they'll hit the "new difined taboos" soon .however i don;t thinks theres anything wrong with showing politics and religion .. jsut the other 2 ..

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Dog Day Afternoon Nap
but if it is portrayed in an artistic way and helps to tell the story better then maybe, but the nudity should be minimal and only when absolutely needed.
so even if justified it should be minimal? is it the misinterpreted Bible or somewhere mentalities didn't evolve/change (i'd say, didn't the wheel turn one turn) since the first conservative colons and forced christianisation by some religious freaks (puritans)?
i.m.o. it makes people stay dumb not to have seen enough when they reach, say, 16. we are all born inexperienced and become especially dumb in adolescent years (for a shorter or longer period, depending on the person), but in some places people stay so longer. such retarded (etymologically: "delayed", which it is exactly since it stayed in the mentality of two-three centuries ago) tabooism blocks a certain, necessary, immunity to nudity (among other things).

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I LOVE IT ALL!!!!
BRING ON THE NAKED VIOLENT PEOPLE WHO SWEAR LOTS!!!

Originally Posted by mrblonde
I LOVE IT ALL!!!!
BRING ON THE NAKED VIOLENT PEOPLE WHO SWEAR LOTS!!!
Actually, your name obviously having to do with the Reservoir Dogs is a film that needed the cursing. It expressed exactly the kind of characters we were dealing with. Loved that movie by the way.

This is a good topic. I will go see any movie no matter how much swearing, violence, or sexuality/nudity it contains. I have a very high tolerance for whatever a film can throw at me. Furthermore, I don't care how much violence, nudity, or swearing it has. It could have it all in one. I don't care. But violence, nudity, and cursing also can make a movie good or better. But it also can have the opposite effect.

have no fear, CPMan is here..
I dont care actually..it doesnt matter if the movie is filled of cursing and cuss words..im old enough to understand that..but of course, if you are an 8yr old kiddo who wants to watch brokeback mountain, im warning you........................you have been warned.XP

Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
I don't really mind because a vast majority of the movies I own and watch have violence, nudity, and cursing.

Thread: resurrected.

I don't have a big problem with it, but I don't think the "hey, it's reality!" makes a lot of sense. People using the bathroom is part of reality -- do most of the films we watch lose something because they usually skip over it?

Movies are already highly filtered reality. In most cases (IE: not highly experimental) they exist to depict a certain aspect of reality. An example of bravery. The way in which an experience changes a person. Things that serve to underscore or illustrate the central point of the film are one thing, but tossing in vulgar or tawdry things just because they exist in reality doesn't add much to most films, and I think the "reality" defense is a justification that's applied pretty selectively in an attempt to defend such films.

It really depends on the director of the movie, I think.

What's a Quentin Tarantino movie without all the violence and cussing?

What's a Russ Meyer film without all the big boobs for Nebbit to use as avatars?

My point is I believe directors - not all directors, but a majority of directors - have reputations to uphold. There may not be a director who frequently uses bathroom scenes -- although, Tarantino, again, does do bathroom scenes a lot. But an excessive use of bathroom scenes by a director could potentially happen one day. It's very possible that one day there will be movies like Toilet, Toilet 2, Shower, Second Shower Of The Day, My Bathroom Mirror, Flush Flush My Love, etc.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
For me, if it fits the story and characters, than I'm ok with it. Sometimes lovemaking scenes and violence can be pretty gratuitous, just for its own sake, and in that case it's usually a bad movie anyway...

A system of cells interlinked
Nice beaver...

Semper Fooey
I'm very disappointed. Where are all the people who listen to Mike Medved who is always whining about this stuff?

It might be a generational thing, but even most people my age don't have a problem with it because, the cursing, sex, and violence began in the late 1960s. As soon as the production code went away, Doris Day, professional virgin, disappeared to be replaced by sexual predator Mrs. Robinson.

In the Beginning...
Movies are already highly filtered reality. In most cases (IE: not highly experimental) they exist to depict a certain aspect of reality.
That's very true, and it drives my best friend crazy. He's always saying that just once, he'd like to see the phone ring in a movie, and have absolutely nothing to do with the plot. Like, a wrong number or something. Anything that isn't the daughter's ransomer, the apologetic boyfriend, or the President.

I don't have a big problem with it, but I don't think the "hey, it's reality!" makes a lot of sense. People using the bathroom is part of reality -- do most of the films we watch lose something because they usually skip over it?
I don't buy the "reality" excuse either--if Hollywood is into reality, why don't they load those prop guns and really shoot a few actors--or at least a few extras--in those violent shootouts? Better yet, place a couple of gunmen behind the movie screen and have them pop a few random rounds into the audience during those scenes. In reality, innocent bystanders often get shot.

Mostly I resent Hollywood's attempt to hustle me--the primary reason they started putting profanity into movies was to win back audiences from TV when "certain words" and subjects couldn't be aired on TV. Sorry, I'm not gonna buy a ticket just to hear someone use the F-word every few mintues because that's the only way he knows how to portray a tough guy. But now with cable and such, you can get the same level of profanity on TV.

What bothers me most today are the slasher films, especially when most of the "victims" are women, often scantly clad. Now if you like that kinda movie, fine--I'm all for you enjoying it to your heart's content. But I do wonder what sort of message the combination of sex and violence, especially aimed at helpless women, is sending to impressionable viewers. I mean if rap music is turning women as victims as some claim, then how much more so do the slasher films? Maybe they are no worse than the horror comics my generation grew up reading. But it was easier to understand comic books aren't reality, since the scenes didn't move. The blood and gore in some movies today is more realistic.

Of course, I'm biased on this because I've seen blood and gore in real life. So I don't go to those films. I leave them to you folks that like that sort of thing.