Movies You Avoided Seeing (for various reasons)

Tools    

Originally Posted by Sleezy
My theology professor (at the time) went to see it with a few rabbis, and after the film, the rabbis claimed that the Aramaic the actors were speaking actually didn't match up with the subtitles. It wasn't that it was a translation problem, either (apparently); but that the subtitles just weren't what they were saying. To what degree, I don't know.

As for me, I avoided seeing this film. A few close friends and relatives were giving me crap about not seeing it, but I didn't want to see it amidst all the hype and publicity. It was almost like people were measuring your faith based on having seen this movie or not, and people were going on and on about how "that's how it really was." I'm sure it's a very realistic interpretation, but it's just that: an interpretation. A film. With actors. I know full well that it's going to be a powerful film, but I'm waiting till I can see it without anyone expecting my faith to be renewed or strengthened or something just from watching it.
completely understandable, the main reason why i had to see it as soon as posible was because before i ever heard about it, i was always thinking how great it would be if someone could actually make a movie in the original language and not in bloody english, so when i heard that gibson was doing exactly that i couldn't believe it, without that, it would have been just another religious film.....but aside from that fact, it's really shot quite beautifuly.....but, on the other hand, it does have a very specific audience, i doubt many jews will want to see it ( because of the way some of them were portrayed in the film ), or for that matter people of other religion apart from christianity....

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Sleezy
As for me, I avoided seeing this film. A few close friends and relatives were giving me crap about not seeing it, but I didn't want to see it amidst all the hype and publicity. It was almost like people were measuring your faith based on having seen this movie or not, and people were going on and on about how "that's how it really was." I'm sure it's a very realistic interpretation, but it's just that: an interpretation. A film. With actors. I know full well that it's going to be a powerful film, but I'm waiting till I can see it without anyone expecting my faith to be renewed or strengthened or something just from watching it.
Absolutely - it is a film, not a religious experience. I think all the hype about this film is why a lot of people don't like it even when they haven't seen it. I think it is a film worth seeing, it has good points and bad points like any other film, but it needs to be seen and judged on film terms, not on religious grounds.

Originally Posted by Thursday Next
it needs to be seen and judged on film terms, not on religious grounds.
That maybe so but a few of my very religious friends judged it only on relgious grounds

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by adidasss
i doubt many jews will want to see it ( because of the way some of them were portrayed in the film ), or for that matter people of other religion apart from christianity....
This is the same kind of religious attribution I was talking about. I won't pass judgment, since I haven't seen it, but it bothers me that people would assume Mel Gibson - in portraying Jews from 2,000 years ago negatively - is making a negative statement about Jews today. That's ridiculous. It's a realistic interpretation, and some of the Jews at the time (from what I understand) were actually jerks. Another quickly forgotten fact: Jesus was a Jew. I doubt Mel Gibson makes him look like a jerk.

Last temptation of Christ - because I'm catholic, and the last 2 episodes of star wars - I wanna remember star wars for the first trilogy.

District B13
Originally Posted by cutter
Another one for Titanic. It was wayyyyy too much hype.

Armageddon

Day After Tomorrow ... I've always had a problem with plots that predict what might happen, especially if they are technically far-fetched

out of Matrix Reloaded half-way through it ... it's just a live action video game, placed into a movie. Total waste of time
Day After Tommorow is not technically far fetched, every single element that happened with the exception of the eye of the storm is 100% plausible.

Technically Far Fetched my meat hook.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
Day After Tommorow is not technically far fetched, every single element that happened with the exception of the eye of the storm is 100% plausible.

Technically Far Fetched my meat hook.
About as plausible as me banging Angelina Jolie.

It was beyond far fetched in almost every single reality they tried to create. Foremost, It will take a lot longer than two days for the ocean to freeze.

About the only thing that was scientifically plausible in the entire movie was the idea that melting icecaps would result in a desalinization of the oceans, but even then it was rediculously far fetched.

That said, I've still seen the movie more than 6 times. I also hate myself at night.

Originally Posted by OG-

It was beyond far fetched in almost every single reality they tried to create. Foremost, It will take a lot longer than two days for the ocean to freeze.

About the only thing that was scientifically plausible in the entire movie was the idea that melting icecaps would result in a desalinization of the oceans, but even then it was rediculously far fetched.

That said, I've still seen the movie more than 6 times. I also hate myself at night.
you're bangin angelina jolie!?
i liked that film too, but have only seen it once in the theatre, it's not really the kind of movie i'd wanna see twice....

history *is* moralizing
rIdiculously far fetched, yep

District B13
Originally Posted by OG-

I watched a TV(Good Morning America) show in which 3 climatologists spoke about the movie. They said that a massive freezing is possible, but unprobable, and that the ice caps could easily melt. The only thing IMPOSSIBLE was the eye of the storm bit.

Originally Posted by adidasss
but it's such a good movie!...seriously.....i had loads of fun watching it in the theatre, mind you, a movie like that looses a lot when you watch it at home....
Dear God I thought that movie was atrocious on so many levels. But to each his own.

Million Dollar Baby - Just haven't really bothered. I love Clint, but I'm pretty sore that it won so many Oscars even though it was late to the game. It was out like, what, a few weeks before Oscars? And it cleaned the place, even though they're were more deserving films. And Hilary Swank's speech at the Oscars put me off on her for awhile.

Finding Neverland - It's gotten positive reviews, but I'm so burnt out on Johnny Depp lately. Seriously, why did he get such a boost in popularity these last two years? That ******* lame pirate movie he did? Please. Annnnd......it looks like too much of a melodrama slow-builder for me. The only thing that sparks my interest is Kate Winslet.

And we say to ourselves, "Well if that were in a movie, I wouldn't believe it."

www.myspace.com/randeath - me

www.myspace.com/animasana - my band

Originally Posted by X Randeath X
Finding Neverland - It's gotten positive reviews, but I'm so burnt out on Johnny Depp lately. Seriously, why did he get such a boost in popularity these last two years? That ******* lame pirate movie he did? Please. Annnnd......it looks like too much of a melodrama slow-builder for me. The only thing that sparks my interest is Kate Winslet.
i liked it and the "lame pirate movie", but like you say, to each his own....

A system of cells interlinked
Dear God I thought that movie was atrocious on so many levels. But to each his own.

Million Dollar Baby - Just haven't really bothered. I love Clint, but I'm pretty sore that it won so many Oscars even though it was late to the game. It was out like, what, a few weeks before Oscars? And it cleaned the place, even though they're were more deserving films. And Hilary Swank's speech at the Oscars put me off on her for awhile.
I felt the same way, especially being the Scorsese nut that I am, but after seeing theMillion Dollar baby, I must agree that it deserved what it got..... See it.

I have yet to see this one, but my girlfriend say it twice and loved every minute, and she has fantastic taste in film, IMO. I mean hell, Mulholland Drive is one of her favorite films...I just can;t think of a better woman for me.... Take her advice!! I will in a few days, once Netflix ships the film to us.

I liked the pirate movie, though....Even though Disney is my arch nemesis..es..is... yeah....

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I usually avoid films that I know are going to be really emotionally wrenching.
The Joy Luck Club
Schindler's List
Million Dollar Baby

I've seen the first two, way after they came out. Still haven't seen the last.
I don't recommend Million Dollar Baby-I avoided for as long as I could but then it happened-I unfortunately watched it.

Other movies I'm avoiding:
Mystic River
Passion of the Christ
Ray

Movies I wished I had continued to avoid:
Million Dollar Baby
Big Fish
Lost in Translation

In the Beginning...
Comments on some of the films being mentioned:

Million Dollar Baby was formulaic. It makes you think, but it doesn't really go very deep with it (in the way Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind makes you think). The style of the film is really nice, and the acting is solid. Decent story. Not much else.

Finding Neverland was superb. Brilliant. Incredible. All of the above. If you're tiring of Johnny Depp, he's much less flamboyant in this one. Very believable. Very real. It makes you laugh. It makes you cry. It makes you think. These are what all great movies do. Go see it.

DOOM

I love the game, the movie.. it looks like a cheap game-to-movie conversation. Once again, holywood has let down gaming fans