Name Some of Your Favorite Soundtracks

Tools    

I've always adored the Jackie Brown soundtrack. I'm a sucker for 70's Soul/Funk music. And Bobby Womack's "Across 110th Street" is my favorite opening and closing song ever for a movie. It sets the mood twice.

Originally Posted by X Randeath X
I've always adored the Jackie Brown soundtrack. I'm a sucker for 70's Soul/Funk music.
Me too

I just downloaded the ghostbusters soundtrack onto my dellditty.

I rarely pay attention to a soundtrack unless there's too much of it and it becomes a distraction (Perfect Storm, first Harry Potter) or when there's just nothing interesting to look at (again, first Harry Potter). Except for a few rare exceptions (usually when it's music that I would actually want to listen to on its own, or obviously in a movie where songs play a major role in the narrative), a good soundtrack in my book is one I don't hear.

Full Metal Jacket soundtrack - because Rolling Stones "Paint it Black" is there.

Yeah that once great too but i havent heard that one for a long time now.However kinda liked the soundtrack from the business some of my favorite 80's song is there.

My favourite movie soundtracks would be these:

Meet Joe Black
Star Wars
Star Trek The Motion Picture
Forest Gump
Pearl Harbor

AA
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.publishedauthors.net/aa_spaceagent/
"The ultimate dream adventure awaiting humanity..."

I love the music in a p.t. anderson film. it's somewhat simplistic. He seems to enjoy simple Melotron melodies that are very effective, like the beginning of Boogie Nights and most of Punch Drunk Love. And using Aimee Mann for every song in Magnolia was brilliant.

And we say to ourselves, "Well if that were in a movie, I wouldn't believe it."

www.myspace.com/randeath - me

www.myspace.com/animasana - my band

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi

What was the first chart topping soundtrack sold?

What? The Warriors of course!
Bzzzzt, wrong answer. The first top selling, as well as highest selling film soundtrack was Saturday Night Fever (1977), which predeates The Warriors by two years. It still holds the record, and had no less than ten hit singles, six of which hit number one on the billboard charts. No other soundtrack even comes close to that, so says Guiness... The actual record is for the sale of the actual film soundtrack, the other stats just tell us why....

I am wondering about American Graffitti as well....

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by AA Institute
My favourite movie soundtracks would be these:

Meet Joe Black
Star Wars
Star Trek The Motion Picture
Forest Gump
Pearl Harbor

AA
http://www.publishedauthors.net/aa_spaceagent/
"The ultimate dream adventure awaiting humanity..."

Except Star Wars didn't have a soundtrack, it had a score. Same with Star Trek:The Motion Picture.

Soundtrack = Licensed music used in the film, usually popular songs of the time, or familiar classical music.

Score = Original music written specifically for the film, usually orchestral, but certainly not limited to orchestral.

Donnie Darko is a great example of a film that has both, Same with Magnolia. Darko has many licensed tunes making up a cool temporal themed soundtrack with songs from such artists as Echo and the Bunnymen, INXS, and Tears for Fears, while it also has a wonderful score composed and perfromed by Michael Andrews. Magnolia has another brilliant score by Jon Brion which is complemented nicely by the soundtrack, composed and performed by Aimee Mann.

Licensed music was rarely used in film until George Lucas created American Graffitti in the early 70s, and then it became a somewhat common practice after that.

That said, I also love the original scores for both Star Wars and Star Trek:the Motion Picture, the latter I think of as some of Goldsmith's best work. Too bad the film was such a flawed piece on release... (I still like it, especially after it got re-cut).

The People's Republic of Clogher
Isn't the soundtrack the released version of the score, original or otherwise?

You don't go into a shop to buy the Star Wars score, but the Star Wars Original Motion Picture Soundtrack.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Soundtrack = Licensed music used in the film, usually popular songs of the time, or familiar classical music.

Score = Original music written specifically for the film, usually orchestral, but certainly not limited to orchestral.
The new generation Holden Pike

Hmmm i think somebody needs to be doing theyre homework...though point taken

I am having a nervous breakdance
I just saw Tarnation and it had some really good music on. Some Mark Kozelek and Iron & Wine among other things....

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The Lord of the rings soundtrack. Mostly Return of the king. INto the West makes be get all emotional evry time

Also I like Pirates of the Carribean sountrack.
Blackhawk down
batman begins
Halo soundtrack (the game)

Originally Posted by Josiah
INto the West makes be get all emotional evry time

I bought that one and haven't even had a chance to really listen to it yet...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Welcome to the human race...
Also, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas has a pretty good 60s soundtrack.