‘Spoiling’ as in ‘ruining’

Tools    

We’ve always used a drop trap with the lady from the shelter. Some cats are so easy to entice into the trap. Others, not so much.

These cats are still wild for the most part. I've caught them each and had them fixed, but that was an exhausting task.
Good for you, seriously.

There are a lot of people around me who feed strays but do not fix them or give them medical care.

We’ve always used a drop trap with the lady from the shelter. Some cats are so easy to entice into the trap. Others, not so much.
One of my barn cats figured out that the trap was not so bad. If we would try to catch other cats she would go in, get trapped, eat the food, then patiently wait to be released the next morning.

You crazy cat people are the best. I am glad you are doing TNR (trap/neuter/release to the uninitiated)
I got my two from a local cat shelter which I sponsor. No outdoor kitties in my life. I live in an apartment building.

You crazy cat people are the best. I am glad you are doing TNR (trap/neuter/release to the uninitiated)
I got my two from a local cat shelter which I sponsor. No outdoor kitties in my life. I live in an apartment building.
I am a big softie, so instead of trap/neuter/release, it's more like trap/neuter/crap-I-named-you-I-guess-you-live-here-now.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I am a big softie, so instead of trap/neuter/release, it's more like trap/neuter/crap-I-named-you-I-guess-you-live-here-now.
for real.
It started with 3. I didn't want a pet since losing my pup a few years earlier, but these three kittens just appeared one day and one was curious enough to jump into the cab of my truck one night. That got my attention, so I started feeding them. I could, at the time, pick the curious one up without issue. Not anymore. Anyway, I figured they'd hang out for a few days and move on. Never did. So I named them. Simon, Iddy-biddy Jr., and Matilda (solid black). After maybe 6 months, I had to travel for work and I didn't want to just leave them so I trapped them. Well, two of them. I spent 2 hours trying to catch the third, Matilda. The big mouth bass of cats noted earlier.

I took them to the vet to be fixed, boarding, and for vaccines. I remember getting a call when I was wherever I was for the job, and the vet said they had to move them to a more secure kennel area. Apparently, they were literally climbing the cage walls and would get out whenever a tech opened the door to feed them. I laughed because in my head, I visualized my three kittens causing all kinds of hell for the vets and tech assistants. I imagined my cats wearing biker-style leather vests and bandanas, just knocking random stuff over and beating people up for no other reason than because they could. Yeah. My kitty gang. I was proud.

Since then, a fourth cat has appeared. I've named it Spot. Randomly 2-3 others frequent the lawn but not on a regular contractual basis.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

BTW, I recognize this pet chat as a brief intermission from the original topic. We will soon return back to your regularly scheduled program.

for real.
It started with 3. I didn't want a pet since losing my pup a few years earlier, but these three kittens just appeared one day and one was curious enough to jump into the cab of my truck one night.
Yeah, mine are a total hodge-podge.

Two are twins who were at a sawmill where cats/kittens did not tend to last long--lots of big trucks in and out, huge logs/planks constantly falling or being stacked, etc. One is a kitten I found on the side of the road. One is a friend's cat who couldn't live inside anymore, the shelter didn't want her, and there was basically zero chance of being adopted. So she shipped her across the country (literally coast to coast), and now she lives on my back patio. One is a kitten who was in a cat colony on the property next door. Her mother was killed by a car. So I have the one kitten, my sister took its brother, and another family friend took her sister. The last one is a shelter cat. The kitten desperately needed a companion, so BOOP. Shelter baby. She came from a hoarding situation and she has some weird quirks/medical stuff, but she is very friendly and has a lot of personality.

This is similar to how I have gotten many of my chickens as well. One day I hope to get a mule or a donkey or, heaven help me, some goats.

And to loop is back to the topic of the thread, cats are great movie-watching companions! They have all of the correct opinions about Dredd and Kiss the Girls.

And to loop is back to the topic of the thread, cats are great movie-watching companions! They have all of the correct opinions about Dredd and Kiss the Girls.

My male cat, Scooter is the only one who has shown any interest in the television, besides chasing Molly (his sister) behind it and knocking the cord out of the wall. I was scrolling through TUBI and saw Bob Ross (the happy little trees-painter). I stopped to watch it and Scooter was mesmerized. He watched a whole half hour of it. That was when I had enough. I don't know if he would have kept on watching or would like to return to it. He is a happy little cat.

There are a lot of people around me who feed strays but do not fix them or give them medical care.
Then they wonder why, suddenly, there is a colony in the backyard.

Totally. There is a new tuxedo hanging around now. Husband says it’s a male, but he usually has no clue as to gender. Funny little thing who needs to clean itself up.

I would say our “colony” is getting out of control, but what can we do? No cat will quit our yard once it figures out there’s food to be had. Who can blame them.

I would say our “colony” is getting out of control, but what can we do? No cat will quit our yard once it figures out there’s food to be had. Who can blame them.
If you are neutering (and especially neutering females), then you are more than doing your part.

If you are neutering (and especially neutering females), then you are more than doing your part.
Actually, it’s better to neuter the males if one has to choose between the sexes. We spay/neuter & don’t choose, but some places lacking funds neuter the males only.

It’s fine; I enjoy the exchange and I love cats.
Awww, just as I’m leaving until Monday, you arrive. Story of my life.

Awww, just as I’m leaving until Monday, you arrive. Story of my life.
I’m always here, lurking around...

Do you always leave for the weekend?

I’m very intoxicated (that’s what Fridays are for, though I really overdid it last week). Just finished Le Locataire (1976). Good stuff.

I tried.

er... I mean, I tiered, for the inebriated. I've never tried Le Locataire (1976), let alone an entire bottle of it.

Actually, it’s better to neuter the males if one has to choose between the sexes. We spay/neuter & don’t choose, but some places lacking funds neuter the males only.
I know it is cheaper to do males. My thought has always been that it only takes one unneutered female to have a litter of kittens.

Do you always leave for the weekend?
Per my signature, I’m here Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays only.

I know it is cheaper to do males. My thought has always been that it only takes one unneutered female to have a litter of kittens.
True, but the female wouldn’t get pregnant if the males are fixed.

It depends on the budget of the group or individual doing the TNR. Some groups can’t afford both procedures & I think it’s wise to do the males only in that case.

Also, I don’t want to come off as sanctimonious in this matter. I always say “don’t feed to breed”, but it’s not possible always to fix every cat even if we feed it. There are one or two in our backyard that cannot be trapped, will not go into a carrier, & cannot be handled. Period. I hope they’re fixed, but we have no way of finding out. If we don’t feed these particular cats they will just steal from the other cats who are fixed. So it’s tricky.

Man, this thread has gone off topic.