My Favorite Robert Duvall Performances

Tools    

Buck Weston, Kicking and Screaming

Duvall was very funny in this underrated comedy as the owner of a sporting goods franchise in constant competition with his son (Will Ferrell), though, if the truth be told, this film was stolen by former Chicago Bears coach Mike Ditka playing Duvall's neighbor.

Prendergast, Falling Down

Duvall was terrific as a cop who's been tied to his desk for most of his career and on the day of his retirement, actually finds himself on the trail of a dangerous psychopath (Michael Douglas).

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Wyle King, Something to Talk About

Duvall didn't have a lot of screentime here but stole every scene he was in as Julia Roberts' ne'er do well father.
I gotta tell ya, Mom gets a kick out of that "silent praying" Duvall does in a lot of his movies, and this one was no exception. Everybody else at the table is talking about what Quaid did and then Duvall just says "Amen" and starts eating. First thing Mom says, "He's always doing that silent praying. You don't hear anything and then out of nowhere, he just says 'Amen.'"

Loved Duvall in Bullitt.

Walter, Wrestling Ernest Hemingway

Duvall plays a retired barber who begins an unlikely friendship with a former Irish sea captain (the late Richard Harris). This was one of the rare occasions where Duvall had to step it up because Harris was extraordinary here, but never blew Duvall off the screen.

Augustus McCrae, Lonesome Dove

Duvall won a Golden Globe for his work in this landmark CBS mini-series where he and Tommy Lee Jones played a pair of former Texas Rangers who team for a monumental cattle drive.

Love Duvall, he has an incredible screen presence and integrity, I would even call him an actor we take for granted. I wonder if The Apostle will be in this list...

Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore, Apocalypse Now

Duvall was a standout in an impressive all-star cast in Copolla's Vietnam war epic and was given the best line in the movie.

Duvall was a standout in an impressive all-star cast in Copolla's Vietnam war epic and was given the best line in the movie.
Which was?

This might just do nobody any good.
"What the hell do you know about surfing, Major? You're from ********* New Jersey!"

You can't win an argument just by being right!
[

Smells like...victory. And then he doesnt even flinch when the bullet lands right behind him. Cool as a cucumber.

This might just do nobody any good.
Only slightly related but this shot is equally ridiculous and haunting. Sums up Kilgore's scenes...

Harry Hogge, Days of Thunder

This is one of those films I mentioned in my intro where Duvall's performance is really the only thing to recommend it.
i love all tony scott movies and this one i enjoyed a lot