My Favorite Robert Duvall Performances

Tools    

He's been in the business over half a century, having garnered seven Oscar nominations, one Oscar, four Golden Globes, and an Emmy. One of the most reliable screen presences out there...a rock solid character actor who always brings more to a character than what's in the script and can make a film seem a lot better than it is. There might be a film or two mentioned here where Duvall is the one and only reason to watch at all. So here we go, here is a list of my favorite performances of the amazing Robert Duvall:

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I love the smell of countdowns in the morning.
I was bereft that the sexy character thread was finished when I went through my morning tea ritual this morning. Yay for this list.

Damn, hope 'The Judge' is number #1...
Very good movie

Harry Hogge, Days of Thunder

This is one of those films I mentioned in my intro where Duvall's performance is really the only thing to recommend it.

I could not agree more, Gid.

The Director, The Conversation

Duvall was appropriately creepy as the benefactor of Harry Caul (Gene Hackman) who hires Caul to perform surveillance on a young couple (Frederic Forrest, Cindy Williams) for $15,000 but Caul is not sure if the money is worth it.

Major Frank Burns, MASH

A lot of people forget that Duvall originated the role of the Bible-thumping tightass who has an affair with Hotlips Houlihan (Sally Kellerman) in the original 1970 film that eventually became the long running TV series.

This might just do nobody any good.
Big fan of The Conversation. Duvall is all presence in his (very) brief role.

Tense movie. Coppola was unbeatable once. Shame Apocalypse drained him but also, no shame. It ended up the ultimate 70s movie.

Harry Hogge, Days of Thunder
This is one of those films I mentioned in my intro where Duvall's performance is really the only thing to recommend it.
I liked that movie, the racing scenes were real and well worth a watch.

Major Frank Burns, MASH
A lot of people forget that Duvall originated the role of the Bible-thumping tightass who has an affair with Hotlips Houlihan (Sally Kellerman) in the original 1970 film that eventually became the long running TV series.
I swear on a stack of Citizen Kane scripts, that when I seen your post, I thought to myself, "I didn't remember him being in MASH", then I read your post and that's exactly what you said

Big fan of The Conversation. Duvall is all presence in his (very) brief role.

Tense movie. Coppola was unbeatable once. Shame Apocalypse drained him but also, no shame. It ended up the ultimate 70s movie.
The Conversation is Coppola's masterpiece and Hackman was robbed of an Oscar.

Earl Pilcher, Jr., A Family Thing

Duvall plays a small business owner who receives a letter from his mother following her death revealing that he has a half brother who is black (James Earl Jones). Watching these two pros acting together was such a joy.

Wyle King, Something to Talk About

Duvall didn't have a lot of screentime here but stole every scene he was in as Julia Roberts' ne'er do well father.

Lt. Frank Grimes, John Q

The kind of role Duvall can play in his sleep...Grimes is the hostage negotiator called in when an angry father (Denzel Washington) holds a group of people hostage in a hospital emergency room until his son is put at the top of a donor list for a new heart.

Jerome Facher, A Civil Action

Duvall was cold as ice in this Oscar-nominated performance as the prosecutor in a landmark class action suit.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Duvall didn't have a lot of screentime here but stole every scene he was in as Julia Roberts' ne'er do well father.
I just bought the DVD yesterday.

I've not disliked a single performance of his but there was something magic about that one.