Glass

Tools    

I am a little hesitant on this one as well. Glass may be the least interesting character of the 3 in my eyes.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Hmm, I did a quick Google search and nothing comes up about an advanced test screening. Do you think the page you saw was trust-worthy? I really hope it wasn't.
No idea. It's the internet after all.

Suspect's Reviews

Looks pretty good to me. Color me excite.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Shyamalan might have the best episode on Norm Macdonald Has A Show. I've never been into the movies, but he seems like a guy you can root for.

Just read that Shyamalan will be using footage from the first film in this, and there was a comment about a deleted fair scene and they suggested it would work well as the opening to the new movie. I watched it and I agree. I can actually see the title "Glass" appearing over the final shot.

Here's the scene.

Just read that Shyamalan will be using footage from the first film in this, and there was a comment about a deleted fair scene and they suggested it would work well as the opening to the new movie. I watched it and I agree. I can actually see the title "Glass" appearing over the final shot.

Here's the scene.

Nice one, hadn't watched the deleted scenes before. The fairground was the standout for sure
I'll do a triple-bill, hopefully while this is still in cinemas

I think it would work well as the opening scene. I get why he deleted it from Unbreakable - doesn't seem to mesh well with the rest of the flick. But based on the trailers it looks like it could with Glass.

Man, I'm waiting to revisit the first two with my buddy, who has seen Split but not Unbreakable. In the meantime I have been watching clips from both as well as the first ten minutes of Split. Unbreakable is already one of my faves, but after having watching stuff from Split, that one is WAY better than I remember it being too. If Glass is as good this may be one of my favorite trilogies ever.

And I'm really happy Shyamalan has said he doesn't want to do any more sequels after this third one. One thing I respect about him is he's conscious about sequels, especially in an age when there are so many sequels in places there *shouldn't* be. It's as though he feels sequels should only exist if there is purpose behind them. Whoda thunk?

I'm still worried. This still "feels" way more like Split than Unbreakable, which is bad.

But, I've got my tickets, and I'll be seeing it a week from tomorrow. Will rewatch both films next week.

I'm hoping it'll bridge the two stylistically.

Part of why I have been liking what I've been watching from Split is that I'm seeing it in context of it's place in the Unbreakable-verse. And it works better than I recall. Even though there's a slightly different style, I like the perspective that it's a minor-but-good side-introduction to the Horde. I mean, it would mean it's an unconventionally-told trilogy because not all three follow Dunn and Glass, but

A. Narratively it kinda works in context of the superhero genre (which can deviate from the main narrative to introduce or deal with other characters), in the stripped-back way of the first film.

B. It's already an unconventionally-made trilogy.

Addition to earlier spoiler-tagged theory:

WARNING: "Glass, maybe" spoilers below
As Swan said, this could be the story of Elijah's redemption. And Unbreakable almost seems to be setup in advance to make that move. The film opens with him, not with David. And the title has a new meaning retroactively, referring to him and not David, if and when he triumphs over his brokenness. It's not about a mean who can't be broken. It's about a man who is broken and puts himself back together.
Mmm, I was just re-reading this and even though I am not sure it'll pan out (let's hope) it's an absolutely beautiful thought.

WARNING: spoilers below
I love the idea that the title Unbreakable can refer to BOTH Dunn and Glass. That could be a "thematic" kind of twist, if we're speaking Shyamalanisms. More importantly, it emphasizes the bond between the two characters that I know I felt watching the first two film and feel is inherent to their dynamic. The bond Glass always knew was there, but Dunn denied. Maybe in the new film, he'll finally accept it.

Let's not forget that the unbreakable/glass dynamic isn't just physical. It's emotional. Dunn may have been literally indestructible but emotionally he was a different story.

WARNING: spoilers below
I love the idea tht the title Unbreakable can refer to BOTH Dunn and Glass. That could be a "thematic" kind of twist, if we're speaking Shyamalanisms. More importantly, it emphasizes the bond between the two characters that I know I felt watching the first two film and feel is inherent to their dynamic. The bond Glass always knew was there, but Dunn denied. Maybe in the new film, he'll finally accept it.

Let's not forget that the unbreakable/glass dynamic isn't just physical. It's emotional. Dunn may have been literally indestructible but emotionally he was a different story.
WARNING: "Unbreakable" spoilers below
Yup. And Elijah was the opposite: physically broken but undeterred.

I'm kinda with you on the theory not quite coming true, or at least not being as explicit or emphasized as we've discussed. But I hope I'm wrong.

The Adventure Starts Here!
(sigh) I'm trying to finally watch SPLIT (how have I not seen this yet??) … but nobody is streaming it for free. (I have Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Xfinity/Comcast On Demand). I used the Just Watch site to try to find it somewhere, but everybody wants me to rent or buy it. Would've thought it was old enough to find somewhere I already subscribe to... but I wonder if the upcoming GLASS is making everyone charge for it. (Even UNBREAKABLE doesn't seem to be free anywhere at the moment.)

I was hanging out with my buddy and looked up the movie on my phone. Early reactions are not super positive. It saddened me enough to where I had to go home. And I say that as someone who dislikes things like Rotten Tomatoes and champions focusing on one's own, personal opinion. But I am a little heartbroken.

Part of it is I want it to be a good trilogy, of course. But more than that I really was rooting for Shyamalan. The dude was my hero as a kid, he pretty much single-handedly got me into film and filmmaking. I remember being completely obsessed with Signs, would pop in the DVD constantly and watch the movie and making-of. I mean, honestly, if my intuition about storytelling and directing comes from anything, it's Shyamalan. There was a lot of hype around this being his comeback, and I feel bummed for the guy that people don't appear to be embracing it.

I'm still hoping I will personally appreciate the film, but I may go it alone instead of making it the big event with friends I was planning to.

I was hanging out with my buddy and looked up the movie on my phone. Early reactions are not super positive. It saddened me enough to where I had to go home. And I say that as someone who dislikes things like Rotten Tomatoes and champions focusing on one's own, personal opinion. But I am a little heartbroken.

Part of it is I want it to be a good trilogy, of course. But more than that I really was rooting for Shyamalan. The dude was my hero as a kid, he pretty much single-handedly got me into film and filmmaking. I remember being completely obsessed with Signs, would pop in the DVD constantly and watch the movie and making-of. I mean, honestly, if my intuition about storytelling and directing comes from anything, it's Shyamalan. There was a lot of hype around this being his comeback, and I feel bummed for the guy that people don't appear to be embracing it.

I'm still hoping I will personally appreciate the film, but I may go it alone instead of making it the big event with friends I was planning to.
Looks like my initial post about it being not great was right. Currently at 36% on RT.

From what I can see, it's an idea film. Great in concept, mediocre to bad in execution. The guy falls prey to giving people what they want. It was cool he did a sequel without people knowing it was a sequel. It gave him some credit back and people wanted more. But he didn't have more. So Glass probably feels rushed.

Maybe he needs to stop trying to please the rabid fan base and focus on what he wants to do, stories he wants to tell. I don't know, just an observation.

The truth is in here
Just remember though the gap between critics and the regular audience can be pretty big. And so far they have been much less harsh than the critics with Glass. It's often thanks to audiences that inititally reviled movies later become known as classics.

Judging by the trailers it looks like the film doesn't have a core story. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like it's going to meander around in scenes.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Unbreakable is one of my favorite films of all time so naturally my expectations are quite high. Either this movie is going to be really good, or a real disappointment as a sequel.

'Glass' Star Anya Taylor-Joy wants to be a director. M. Night Shyamalan invited her to sit by him behind the camera and would ask: "What would you change? What would you do differently here?" (Quoted from Reddit)

Link to article

Cool dude.