Is Quentin Tarantino One Of The 10 Best Directors Of All-Time?

Tools    

Is Quentin Tarantino A Top Ten Director?
24.35%
28 votes
Yes
54.78%
63 votes
No
20.87%
24 votes
Maybe One Day
115 votes. You may not vote on this poll

He's the best amalgamation of better directors and their concepts and tropes I've ever seen. Yay "Modernist" auteurs and their lazy modus operandi that "everything's been done before, so why try anything new?" Sorry, spinning another's yarn and tongue-and-cheekly passing it off as "homage" is bull$%^! in my opinion. Is it "entertaining", sure, I'll give him kudos on that ... but do I find him "refreshing?" About as refreshing as a Carl's Jr. hamburger that's been sitting in my hot car for a week. What can I say, the old tropes get old, and I've yet to see anyone in the mainstream or even independent cinema that's tantalized me in recent years. That's why I stick to the underground. They've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by pushing this beautiful medium we call "cinema" to it's limits.

TL ; DR version.

No. No he's not.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

He's in my top 3. Mostly because of his great writing, rewatchable movies and solid filmography.

1. Scorsese
2. Nolan
3. Tarantino
4. Cameron / Fincher
5. Coppola
6. Chazelle
7. Spielberg
8. Kubrick
9. Aronofsky
10. Lynch

Need to finish some directors work.

That is a fair point, and I agree. But I find everything that comes pre-21st century very different to Black Book and Elle, and that’s what I meant. Strictly speaking, he probably has three distinct phases.

It’s just a personal opinion, I always felt it was a case of something being labelled a satire post-factum - which is indeed not hard for him to do, as he’d made them before. Showgirls is often inadvertently funny, but I think it’s a bit like The Martian winning the Golden Globe for Best Comedy - that doesn’t mean it’s actually a satire, or that The Martian was intended to be a comedy.
I don’t have any problem with people who do feel it’s a satire, I just disagree.
I'm scratching my head here trying to figure out how The Martian could be considered a, satire or a comedy.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
I'm scratching my head here trying to figure out how The Martian could be considered a, satire or a comedy.
The film has levity at points. But is not a comedy.

I don’t think that’s the case, it was a reference to an old news story where I think it got nominated for the ‘Best Comedy’ category of something.

Edit: it actually won the Golden Globe in the Best Comedy/Musical category, so it’s not up to me (or do we want to argue The Martian is a musical now...)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2016/1/10/10732126/golden-globes-2016-best-comedy-musical-the-martian-nonsense

He's in my top 3. Mostly because of his great writing, rewatchable movies and solid filmography.

1. Scorsese
2. Nolan
3. Tarantino
4. Cameron / Fincher
5. Coppola
6. Chazelle
7. Spielberg
8. Kubrick
9. Lynch
10. Villenueve

Need to finish some directors work.
Really? Damian Chazelle with his three films, is a better director than Akira Kurosawa?

Second that. Love as I might Whiplash, Chazelle is so unbelievably overrated.
I think he is immensely talented. But to be mentioned in the top 10 directors of all time after only Directing features for 6 years is a bit much. I guess it's all personal taste.

For me, you have to consider the greats like Kurosawa, Bergman, Ozu, Mizoguchi and maybe even pioneers like Lumieres, Griffith (not that I've seen much of their output, but they basically founded cinema). This is all before you consider movements like French new wave or Italian neo realism - techniques and tropes that make cinema what it is today.

Again it probably comes down to the old favourite or best? definition

Yeah, reasonable to say at this moment you're more interested in his films than some all-timer. That's potentially a very different question than weighing their career output against one another.

Really? Damian Chazelle with his three films, is a better director than Akira Kurosawa?
Haven't finished watching Spielberg's or Kubrick's entire filmography.
Just watched one Kurosawa movie.

I got Chazelle pretty high because both Whiplash and La Land Land are 10/10 for me. So it might be a case of quality over quantity, I got Whiplash in my top 5 films of all time.

Edit: it's my favorite lists, except for Scorsese, Coppola, Kubrick and Spielberg and maybe Tarantino... I wouldn't say that these are the greatest directors ever, but they're great directors and I like their work.

I have seen T1 and T2 like ten times so Cameron holds a special place in my library. Same applies to Nolan with the Batman films, that's why they rank high for me.

I might go with Tarantino being top 500 among American directors, but top 10....no way. The fact that, when there's a new one out, I generally ask myself whether I'm in the mood for "another Tarantino flick", and that I'm generally right about my expectations and that I spend at least some of the movie rolling my eyes, puts him down the list for me. Inglorious Bastards is about the only one in my favorite list. I was about to say that he'd make a good TV series director, but I see that he's done some of that, so I can't take credit for the idea.