Television Tab

Tools    

I just caught myself up on Damages' 3rd season and let me tell you

- it has really upped the ante! This season is quite the page turner, which is really interesting because at the end of the previous seasons, it always seemed that the writers had written themselves into a corner. But no. Each season they amaze by pulling yet another rabbit out of the hat .....and for a LEGAL show, at that. Now generally, I cant stand legal shows because their almost-there realism (at least of Law & Order and its euccessors) is a major turn-off. This show, however, does an outstanding job of focusing less on the work itself (although the work is as in reality - ever present) and more on the relationships that surround the work, and more importantly, on the very real social dynamics and interpersonal minutia that can make or break a case.

I was reading a review someone somewhere wrote for the 2nd season last year, and I think they aptly pegged it: in the Freshman season we see Ellen Parsons the blushing and ingenious neophyte; in the Sophomore season we see Ellen the angry adolescent, and in this the Junior season, we SERIOUSLY are starting to see some coming of age in her handling of her (former?) mentor, and who knows what the rest of the season holds?

It reminds me of the the episode 12 Blinded in the first season of Lie to Me

Lightman regularly goes off on his new apprentice Torres in front of a convict, and explains to the convict that there are 3 stages of mentorship - its actually quite funny. Torres asks him at the end of the episode, "Which stage are we at?"

Finally, its great to see Martin Short back in front of the camera, and even his supposedly serious lawyering is funny.

Lost is also really good this last season, but the answers they are presenting at this point makes it seem even more like the writers freeformed the storyline and just picked a random ending. Literally. It was first the Oceanic people vs. The Others, now its everyone vs. Jacob & The Smoke Man's vendetta. Weird. But in a cool way. As an aside, I think its cool that Gemma from Sons of Anarchy is now in Lost as Locke's wife.

Heroes is a travesty of magnificent proportions. Completely awful, yet I still watch. Why?

Burn Notice is back, and somewhat weirder. This show, too, is suffering from the malady of bad writing. Its almost as if the storyline went stream of consciousness, its so bad. Clearly they are just trying to continue a good thing, and the storyline and characters are suffering for it.

Forgot to mention this season of 24 in that lineup.

AWFUL this year! They totally wussed the redhead out - she's a basket case, which is a real tragedy given her clear competency and capability in last season. In fact, I might even go so far as to say it's almost SEXIST how they made her weak in order to make Jack look strong. Its such an obvious ploy - she's the alpha female to his alpha male, and I'm comfortable with that, but I hate how that when she makes a tough decision, its somehow wrong or irresponsible, but when JACK BAUER has to do something that skirts the law, or hurts himself for his country, its somehow wonderful and cool of him. honestly, its a double standard, and it pisses me off, because you have the girl doing all this hard stuff, and they not only have her doing it, they then take away any shred of dignity for the self-sacrifice/patriotism that could attach to the act by belittling her reasons for doing it.

its also irritating how they marginalized Chloe - and granted, we get that she is supposed to triumph in some fashion toward the end of the season, but even in S7, you can see a gradual decline in her overall character strength. Freddie Prinze, Jr? Oh please! Katee Sackoff has always rubbed me the wrong way, but at least the child can act - and even her storyline has become ploddingly boring as her former BF constantly has her over a barrel - you cant help thinking, "When is this chick going to grow a pair, and put these dudes in the ground?"

not cool. plus, the season just stinks this time, altogether.

yep Mack, I started watching this 24 but have become bored so have episodes piled up. I don't like that evil boyfriend story either.

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
Has it even been explained how Dana got to be a member of CTU when she's using a false identity? their HR checks can't be that good huh?

to answer your spoiler, not at all. i imagine that they will flesh that part of the storyline out later in the season, but i agree that its frighteningly uncool that a person could game the federal government so easily. if your average hick town girl-thug ex-con (because let's admit, that like BF, presumably like GF) can work for an agency akin to Homeland Security or better, it makes me wonder why I had to jump thru so many hoops and meet so many cops just to clerk in the trial courts among the, you know.....great unwashed. no. its just simply not possible that she did it without inside help, and thus the whole house of Dana cards should topple soon. Unfortunately for the writers, they wont keep our interest long enough for us to discover the answer to this mystery.

the problem is that her character is just not believable - its incongruous to first assert that (whether she is an implanted spy or simply doing her own thing) the girl has the brass ovaries and mental toughness to not only lie to the government, but exist right under their noses - and then suggest that she becomes a babbling schoolgirl under the simplistic pressure of basic blackmail from a common street hood.

im sorry. when you are operating at that level of deception, how in the WORLD do you let some low-level ex-con jeopardize your existence? it seems that somewhere along the way, dear young Dana misplaced her "Play in the Big Leagues" entry card.

tbh, I already skipped the last hour. maybe I'll watch the latest one, maybe not. the indifference is the key here - i used to see every episode without fail.

well, I will give them this: they do a great female president. wasnt sure how they were going to pull that off, and since I havent watched any of Commander in Chief yet, wasnt sure if they could get a proper balance of human emotion vs. competent command with a female prez. we all know the real-life Hillary and even Palin have their supporters and detractors on those exact issues.

but I admit i like this and last season's portrayal of a female president. this woman is either an outstanding actor, or they really strike the proper balance with her character in the writing.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
They've had problems with personnel screening since season one. I don't think it's remotely realistic but it's certainly always been part of the show.

Btw, what does it take to keep Jack Bauer down? LOL.

I started watching The Wire last week. Three eppy's in. Not bad so far...

I thought it was about time that I finished watching Being Human, yesterday, so I ploughed through the last 4 episodes last night. I thought it was great, I really enjoyed it. I like that it went dark without ever really losing its characters soul. I like what happened with Annie and how it'll affect the next series. Same with Mitchell, though I could've done with another episode of him 'vamping out' just to make it 'feel' as if it didn't just happen over a day or two (which it did to me.) I liked how they wrapped up the Kemp/Jaggert side of the story, I even liked the totally predictable and cliched end of it. Although I like what they've done with George and Nina, I really liked Sam and would've liked to have seen more of her... And more of her.

So, I really enjoyed 4 episodes and then...
WARNING: "Being Human Spoiler" spoilers below
HERRICK COMES BACK!!! No! WTF are they doing? I hated that guy. I didn't even like seeing him appear in the '60's London hostage' scenes, and he'll be back with that dappy 'Drusilla-esque' vampire (who also annoys me.) Anyway, although I hate the character, I am interested to see who they use him in the next series

Lastly, how good was that scene in the school? I loved that.

I think I'm right in saying there's 15 episodes in all, BD. A one-off drama/pilot (of which Russell Tovey is the only actor who's in the series. The other two main actors were unable to star in the tv series) and another 14 episodes, 6 episodes in the first series and 8 in the second. There's also a US version being produced for the fall schedule (I think) so you'll probably want to get it seen before then.

On Being Human - there is a third series coming up but they've moved the filming from Bristol to Wales (boo-hoo we loved seeing them filming around Briz ).
We loved Being Human and it's mood shifts from funny to really sad, lighthearted to really bloody. The train scene!

I thought it was about time that I finished watching Being Human, yesterday, so I ploughed through the last 4 episodes last night. I thought it was great, I really enjoyed it. I like that it went dark without ever really losing its characters soul. I like what happened with Annie and how it'll affect the next series. Same with Mitchell, though I could've done with another episode of him 'vamping out' just to make it 'feel' as if it didn't just happen over a day or two (which it did to me.) I liked how they wrapped up the Kemp/Jaggert side of the story, I even liked the totally predictable and cliched end of it. Although I like what they've done with George and Nina, I really liked Sam and would've liked to have seen more of her... And more of her.

So, I really enjoyed 4 episodes and then...
WARNING: "Being Human Spoiler" spoilers below
HERRICK COMES BACK!!! No! WTF are they doing? I hated that guy. I didn't even like seeing him appear in the '60's London hostage' scenes, and he'll be back with that dappy 'Drusilla-esque' vampire (who also annoys me.) Anyway, although I hate the character, I am interested to see who they use him in the next series

Lastly, how good was that scene in the school? I loved that.
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
yeah but Herrick is sooo creepy isn't he?

that school is our local primary. I worked in there for a little while

Has anyone seen the pilot for the new show Parenthood?

So far, so good, but it does feel a bit like nothing more than a less bourgeois version of Brothers & Sisters....