Reviews by Bobby

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm sorry you didn't like TWBB. I thought it was a brilliant.

Suspect's Reviews

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
No Country for Old Men (Coen, 2007)

No Country for Old Men is the story of a man who just couldn't keep out of trouble.

Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) is your average guy. He doesn't do much, doesn't expect much. While out hunting in west Texas, Llewelyn stumbles upon a group of trucks, pelted with bullet holes. At least 6 guys and a dog all lying dead and shot on the ground. While searching around, he finds 2 million dollars cash and a huge stash of heroin.

He takes the cash, a few weapons, and we are off on a chase.

Over the next 1h45m, a Hispanic gang, the police, and psycho killer Anton Chigurh, are all looking for him. Two of them want him dead.

We don't know much about the gang. I'd say that's the films biggest weakness. These men had the money, they're relentlessly after him just as much as anyone else is, and yet we have zero information on them. We just see 4 guys in a truck randomly pull up and start opening fire on him from time to time.

Anton Chigurh is established as a psycho in the first five minutes. Waiting at the police station, only him and the arresting officer, Anton uses his cuffs to choke the police officer to death, all while smiling. Good job by the Coen brothers in that scene. They set the precedent that this guy is a cold blooded killer. One who enjoys killing. And he does it all with perfectly quaffed hair.

Tommy Lee Jones' character of Ed Tom Bell is a little lacking in depth for most the movie, but kicks in pretty hard later in the film. And as always, Jones delivers a really good performance.

This is a good movie. Not as great as everyone would have you believe, but still really good.

Much like There Will Be Blood, technically, it's perfection. Unlike There Will Be Blood, there is an undeniable sense of excitement at all times. You're always on the edge of your seat, trying to figure out what move is coming next from the cat and mouse match of Anton and Llewelyn.

The acting all around is good, but I must address something...Javier Bardrem.

Granted, the hair was excellent, but the whole movie he spoke very monotone and killed people without showing emotion. I just don't see the range required to be called an excellent performance. If he wins BSA, like I imagine he will, then it will be the character, not his acting, that won him the Oscar. The character didn't require a lot of acting, and I think people just loved his badazz persona. I think we could have seen that exact same performance from 50 other actors...easy.

Still, solid movie. Weird ending, that I didn't understand because I couldn't hear what Tommy Lee Jones said. People up front being too loud, so I'm sure I missed something

8/10

The Hispanic gang trying to find the money as representatives of one half of the original shootout in the desert so that's why they're after Llewelyn.

Shame you missed the ending, it was thoughtful and poetic, perhaps you can watch it again some time.

Don't agree with you about Bardem. I think he had a malevolent presence onscreen that was pretty scary.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Juno (Reitman, 2007)

"'Cause you're, like, the coolest person I've ever met, and you don't even have to try, you know..."
"I try really hard, actually."

Juno McGuff is 16 years old, and she's pregnant. Her best friend, Paulie Bleaker, is the father.

Juno is surprisingly calm. She goes to "Women Now" to "nip it in the bud"

But wait...her baby has fingernails. The moment someone tells her that her baby already has fingernails, something clicks. She can't do it. For some reason, fingernails make it real to her.

"Juno" follows young Juno McGuff and her decision to keep her baby and her developing relationship with the couple who will adopt her child.

Ellen Page is magnificent. Really carries the movie and turns a role that could be a bit campy, into one that is believable and sweet. "Sweet" in the movies can be a very hateful term, but this film bounces along happily without ever being sucked into the pretentious vortex like so many that have tried the same blueprint. Kudos to Reitman for his direction in that aspect. He kept the characters likable when they very easily could have become annoying and he takes a story we've heard before and makes it fresh and something you can connect with. We all know these people.

We know Juno and her awkward, but mature, self. We know Paulie. A bit of a nerd, who's not confident in himself at all. Still, the only one who can hurt him is the only one that he loves. And she does it. On multiple occasions.

The acting from Page, Garner, Cera and Bateman is all top notch. Excellent.

One of my favorite scenes from this film takes place in the hallway of the school. Juno is angry at Paulie because he's taking another girl to prom and not her. Ellen Page SHINES in this scene and I think may win the Oscar thanks to that one scene alone. She dominates the screen with an authority we hadn't seen the entire movie.

"I still have your underwear."
"I still have your virginity."

We look at her and we think "Jeez...why is she being such a biatch?" but then we also look at her and feel sad, and almost want to be there to pat her on the back and let her know "This will all blow over..."

9/10

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Atonement (Wright, 2007)

Oh wow. Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow.

Maybe I simply wasn't prepared. My expectations were lower than they should have been. I was least looking forward to this at the Best Picture showcase on Saturday. I was certain I'd sleep through it.

Maybe my low expectations going in, has distorted my perception of the movie going out.

Atonement is a masterpiece. A beautifully crafted story about regret, love found, and love never to be had.

Briony Tallis is 13 years old. She is an aspiring writer and has a crush on the gardener, Robbie. Unfortunately, Robbie is 18 years old, and in love with Briony's sister Cecilia.

After a series of odd events that confuse Briony and leave her head spinning, she accuses Robbie of a crime he did not commit. Robbie is sent away to prison, and the Tallis family is left in scattered pieces. Never to be the same again.

I've cried at movies. Stuff like American History X and Saving Private Ryan...the kind of movies it's "acceptable" for a guy to cry at. I have no problem admitting that Atonement had me in pieces. Pure poetry put to screen. The separation combined with little time spent together didn't matter. Cecilia and Robbie loved each other. They didn't need an infinite amount of time together to realize that, and they never stopped.

There are a few beautiful scenes I'd like to talk about. The first time I teared up was when Robbie is at war, three and a half years after the incident, he's strolling through a restaurant. He looks over and spots Cecilia. He takes a step back and walks the other way. He isn't sure it's her and he's not sure he could take it even if it was. He pivots and walks back by. Cecilia standing gazing hoping he would turn back and confirm it was indeed him.

The look on Keira's face. The punch to the stomach that Robbie receives hits him hard and penetrates straight through to the audience.

There's another beautifully shot scene that left me inexplicably gut-wrenched.

Robbie and two of his comrades stroll on to a beach during the war. Nothing violent going on. One shot, no cuts, for about 10 minutes. They walk through this scene where carnival rides are. Soldiers standing under a gazebo, singing. A ferris wheel spins in the background, a soldier grasping for dear life after he's fallen from his seat, etc.

Just immense power in that scene.

Something to be experienced, not viewed, Atonement is the 2007 Best Picture. I will be elated if it wins.

10/10

Great review Bobby, I have avoided this movie but now, I am going to watch it Thanks

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Sea of Love (Becker, 1989)

Sea of Love is an interesting, if a bit disappointing effort from Harold Becker.

The film starts us off with a really gruesome, explicit murder scene. Frank Keller (Al Pacino) is on the case. He believes the murderer to be female. A short while later, Keller meets Detective Sherman (John Goodman) at a party as Sherman indicates that he's run into a similar case and thinks they should join forces.

After realizing that both murders occurred after the two had put poetic ads in the personals looking for dates, Frank comes up with the idea that they should write a poem, place an ad, have dinner with their dates while the other poses as a waiter. The one posing as the waiter would take the wine glasses and check prints from the scene with the glass.

On one of his many dinner dates, Frank meets Helen Cruger. She quickly walks out on him saying they didn't have any chemistry. They failed to get her prints, and Frank forgets about it all.

After a random run in at a store and a late night tryst, Helen immediately shoots up the list of possible suspects, but Frank is oddly drawn to her and won't admit to himself that she is most likely the killer.

Harold Becker does an excellent job here of creating an odd, but thoroughly engrossing combination of sexual tension and utter paranoia. Pacino adapts well to his role of Frank Keller, a work obsessed, temperamental detective, but the show belongs to Ellen Barkin and John Goodman.

Barkin's performance has so much pop to it. From the moment she shows up and snaps her fingers in Detective Keller's face to her more vulnerable moments talking about her daughter, Barkin owns the screen. John Goodman is also very electric in his performance. Not necessarily a deep performance, or one that requires a lot of range, but Goodman plays the role with swagger and a nice touch of humor.

While there are many redeeming qualities to Sea of Love, it's over the top and sometimes pointless sexual exploration is a put off. The movie ultimately suffers from it's...
WARNING: "somewhat of a spoil" spoilers below
sunshine and lollipops
...ending that completely shatters the sexual tension and paranoia that the movie had built up so well the entire 2 hours. What was the point? Why make the film if your going to destroy the precedent you've built up?

Sea of Love is entertaining, but I would ultimately say it's a disappointment, due mainly for Becker failing to find the right ending.

6/10

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Tropic Thunder (Stiller, 2008)

Tropic Thunder is Ben Stiller's newest comedy that mocks war films, the way they attempt to play on people's emotions, and the often warped way that Hollywood operates.

Thunder starts off with a bang transitioning into fake trailers of the stars from the real trailers of the movie. Everything there is hilarious and really does a good job at making fun of some of the garbage Hollywood has spit out in the last decade or so. From there we jump right into the filming of the movie.

This movie is expensive, it's behind schedule, and the man financing it isn't happy. The rookie Director, Damien Cockburn (Steve Coogan) is in a tough place being yelled at by the execs and still trying to juggle all of the egos that come with the talented cast.

The Director can't take it anymore. He wants to get it done and he feels that will only happen if he strips all the luxuries away from his stars and drops them in the middle of the jungle to film the movie.

Co-existence is impossible for this dysfunctional group of stars. The action hero trying to become a legitimate actor, Tugg Speedman (Ben Stiller) the brilliant Australian actor playing a black platoon leader, Kirk Lazarus (The amazing Robert Downey Jr) the drug addicted comedy star who wants more appreciation, Jeff Portnoy (Jack Black) the confused rap star who is angry with Lazarus, Alpa Chino (Brandon T Jackson) and the lovable loser, Kevin Sandusky (Jay Baruchel)

The group quickly realizes that this isn't a movie anymore. They are being attacked by a group of locals who run a heroin compound. Speedman is the only one who thinks the movie is still going on and is eventually captured. The rest of the group decides to save him before it's too late.

Tropic Thunder is really slow out of the gates. Once the fake trailers are finished, it really has some flat jokes. Not many actually hit. The film finally jump starts when they get dropped in the jungle. There, Robert Downey Jr begins to absolutely shine.

Downey manages to play a sexually confused holy figure, a black man, and an Australian prima donna. And he's absolutely hysterical in every last capacity.

Tom Cruise manages to steal the show away from everyone however as Les Grossman, a billionaire movie mogul with quite the temper and foul mouth. Cruise strips away all preconceived notions the audience undoubtedly has about him and delivers a great comedic performance.

Cruise and Downey really make this movie what it is. What is it? It's a funny movie. A little disappointing in terms of what I was expecting, but there are some laugh out loud moments and the film finishes strong after a slow first half.

The cinematography is surprisingly good. Very good.

Outside of some of the inevitable Scary Movie-esque war parody jokes, Tropic Thunder is a very original, pretty funny, uncompromising mockery of the state of Hollywood and the people that populate it.

Thumbs up to Tropic Thunder.

7.5/10

hey bobby, the holiday seems to be a great movie...surely go for it this weekend...thanx for givin its overview here...

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009)

Quentin Tarantino has made himself quite a career out of risky films that tend to lean towards the ultra violent side. A stylized World War II film? Well...it doesn't get much riskier than that, and that's what his latest film, Inglourious Basterds, is. At least that's what it appears to be on the surface.

I'm a Tarantino fan. Not quite as crazy about his movies as a lot of other people are, but I can't say he's ever made something I didn't like. Nothing changes with his latest effort which follows two main story-lines that eventually collide.

The first of the two stories follows The Basterds. A group of mostly Jewish-American men led by Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) that set out to kill every Nazi they see. No prisoners, no negotiating...if you're a Nazi, you are dying, and it's going to be a cruel and sadistic death. Through a series of events, their main focus becomes bombing the premiere of a Nazi propaganda film. A premiere that will have some of the most high profile Nazi leaders in attendance, with the theory being that The Basterds could end the war in one mass killing. In order to successfully crash the premiere, they enlist the help of German actress, and double agent, Bridget von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger)

The second story is that of the woman who owns the theater that the premiere is taking place. Shosanna (Mélanie Laurent) is the only one of her family members to escape when Col. Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz) comes through a small village in France looking for anyone hiding Jews. She creates a new life for herself and runs her theater in relative peace, only to have her life changed forever when German war "hero" Fredrick Zoller falls for her and insists that the film based on his "heroics" is shown in her theater. She resists the young German, but when the film is ultimately forced on her theater, she comes up with a plan to kill every Nazi in attendance.

Inglourious Basterds is not a historical film. Don't look for historical accuracy with this. It isn't even about World War II. No, instead, Inglourious is about the personalities. The emotions that drive these people and the reasons they are who they are. Nazi occupied France is a backdrop to the actions of the characters and nothing more.

It is Tarantino's most over the top and violent film to date. I feel a word like "Gruesome" is an understatement. But beneath the over the top style and borderline light-hearted tone they present, Inglourious Basterds is absolutely superb and fascinating.

Watching the movie, it felt like Tarantino approached the film with the main intent being that he wanted to explore the fascinating personalities of these characters. Who they are, and the aggression and drive that's in every single last one of them. That side of the film will appeal to the art house crowd.

But just like past Tarantino films, I think he wanted to make the surface something ridiculous and over the top for an audience that came to see action. The brutality of the surface almost engages the audience and sucks them into what is beneath...what Tarantino really wanted to focus on, and that's the exploration of what makes his characters tick. The writing of the characters combined with the actors chosen to bring them to life, provide for some great performances all around, but special mention for Christoph Waltz who is just out of this world good in his role as the ruthless Col. Landa.

It's always a real accomplishment when you can create a film that the 21 year old, UFC-watching, Red Bull-drinking, college kid can enjoy just as much as the 35 year old, Fellini-watching, Latte-drinking, painter. In other words, if you view movies as straight entertainment and don't want something that plays mind games, you'll like Inglourious Basterds. If you view movies as art that should rely on exploration of it's character, you too will like the film.

Tarantino has succeeded on both levels.

The film is Rated R for strong graphic violence, language and brief sexuality. This is most certainly a film for adults only and one you may spend looking through the gaps between your fingers as you cover your face. It's that violent.

Overall I'd give Inglourious Basterds 5 out of 5. It's a difficult viewing, but one that's well worth it if you can stomach all of the violence.

My life isn't written very well.
Yeah thanks bobby!

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Very cool early review, Bobby. Thanks for posting it. I've definitely been looking forward to this one for awhile and I'm going to try to catch it quickly.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Thanks for the review, Bobby, I was really curious about this film.

But, I'm concerned about what you said about the violence. That is always my problem with Tarantino, and I often wonder why he feels he has to be so violent. Puts me off of the film, unfortunately.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Thanks for the review, Bobby, I was really curious about this film.

But, I'm concerned about what you said about the violence. That is always my problem with Tarantino, and I often wonder why he feels he has to be so violent. Puts me off of the film, unfortunately.
There are actually long stretches without violence, but when it's there, it's really strong.

An example of violence (Not an actual spoiler...just something violent the Basterds do that you may want to be surprised by when you watch the movie, so I'm putting spoiler tags on it)

WARNING: "Inglourious Basterds Example of Violence" spoilers below
They do exactly what they say they're going to do in the trailer...they cut off the scalps of about 5 different people in the movie. Just saw them off with a knife.

Pretty much disagree with most of what you said. Minimal violence, not too graphic by today standards. Characters had the depth of a puddle bar two or three. Teetered uncomfortably between drama and comedy