Movies you like that are difficult to reccommend to others

Tools    

I am talking about movies that were meant to offend like blue velvet and man bites dog. (for different reasons) I would not recommend a movie like those to somebody I suspect it would offend.

Well okay. I can totally understand tailoring recommendations based on who is asking. Still, I think taking offense at My fair lady is taking things a bit too far.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Lmao, Wavelength is in my top 5
La Région centrale is a much better normie-filter.
Sans Solelil is one of my favorite movies that is difficult to recommend because it's difficult to describe
Just quote (or describe) the opening:

"The first image he told me about was of three children on a road in Iceland, in 1965. He said that for him it was the image of happiness and also that he had tried several times to link it to other images, but it never worked. He wrote me: one day I'll have to put it all alone at the beginning of a film with a long piece of black leader; if they don't see happiness in the picture, at least they'll see the black."
If they don't want to watch it after hearing that, that's their problem.

Recommending almost anything to non-cinephiles is most often a pointless exercise. You always end up disappointed because they either never watch it or keep pestering you where they can watch it. If they actually end up watching it, then chances they dislike it are high. Not to mention they almost never want to know why you love the film or have any sort of discussion afterward. That's why if I ever have to recommend a film to a person who's not into cinema, I want to have a very good description of what they're looking for. I'm also quite reluctant to recommend my actual favorites for some reason, but I don't really know why. It somehow feels private in real life while it totally does not on the Internet.

Now, recommending films to well-rounded cinephiles is something completely different. Usually, you don't really have to get them interested in something because they naturally take interest in most good stuff, and the best of them don't really ask for recommendations but find them themselves in your ratings on RYM or Letterboxd. Now that's what I'm talking about!

About films that are difficult to recommend to others, most pink films. You sure don't want normies to think you're a pervert. And then even recommending actual non-sex films might be difficult. Like recommending Koreeda's Air Doll automatically draws some comparisons. But I say, f*ck it, most of them can't even access these films, so who cares. Just go ahead and throw Salo at them.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I believe we all like to recommend films that we have discovered, especially if it is something that everybody else might not have seen. I like to recommend Jean de floretta and Manon of the Spring to a lot of people, because i feel it is an excellent, well rounded film. (a lot of non cinephiles won't watch it because it is subtitled (the worst of sins). I want to feel I have shared something that they will enjoy. So I don't think I am censoring myself if I let them know that there is some content that is going to offend a lot of people. I don't want to suggest Man Bites Dog and than say FU if you don't like it.

Another one of my favorites that I wouldn't even recommend to my closest friends or family members. I mean, would you recommend a movie to anyone that has
WARNING: spoilers below
poop inspections, urination, teenage topless toenail biting and cat molestation?
The movie has so much to offer under its crust. If a person can get beyond the shock and disgust level, and understand the real undertones and messages it has to offer, It is actually a masterpiece in my mind. People who cannot see the mastery inside it will merely discard it as trash. What you see is not necessarily what you get.

I don't generally give recommendations to others nor do I ask for them. Maybe I'm a sociopath but it doesn't really concern me what others think of any particular movie. That said I do look at what other people have watched on here and sometimes watch stuff based on a good rating if they have at least somewhat similar taste to mine and it sounds of interest from the brief synopsis on IMDb, occasionally I might even go so far as to ask a quick question of them about it (hey, maybe I'm not such a sociopath after all )