Sean Connery, RIP

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
While he was best known as James Bond, I loved him in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Hunt for Red October, Time Bandits, as the voice of the dragon in DragonHeart, and his cameo appearance in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

R.I.P.

Loved him in everything I saw him in (well, there were one or two I give a pass to), and man, besides being a fine actor, he was a STAR---he just exuded presence and star power, whether he wanted adulation or not. If I were to pick just one performance that I loved of his besides Bond, it would be in The Man Who Would Be King. Just thinking about him in that gives me goosebumps, and a smile for how terrific he was. Here are a couple of videos of when he received the AFI Lifetime Achievement award, first from fan Mike Myers to lighten things up, then Connery himself, who was funny also, without even trying hard.
Godspeed, Sir Sean!

Skip Homeier and Sean in No Road Back (1957)

Martine Carol, Sean, and Van Heflin in Action of the Tiger (1957)

Sean and Winsley Pithey in Hell Drivers (1957)

Sean and Lana Turner in Another Time, Another Place (1958)

Jimmy O'Dea and Sean in Darby O'Gill & the Little People (1959)

Sean in The Frightened City (1961)

Sean and Norman Rossington in The Longest Day (1962)

Alfred Lynch and Sean in On the Fiddle/Operation Snafu (1962)

Sean in Dr. No (1962)

Sean in From Russia with Love (1963)

Sean and Tippi Hedren in Marnie (1964)

Sean and Ralph Richardson in Woman of Straw (1964)

Gert Fröbe and Sean in Goldfinger (1964)

Sean in The Hill (1965)

Sean and Claudine Auger in Thunderball (1965)

Sean in A Fine Madness (1966)

Sean and Donald Pleasence in You Only Live Twice (1967)

Sean in Shalako (1968)

Sean and Claudia Cardinale in The Red Tent (1969)

Sean in The Molly Maguires (1970)

Christopher Walken, Sean, and Martin Balsam in The Anderson Tapes (1971)

Sean in Diamonds Are Forever
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Sean in The Offence (1972)

Sean in Zardoz (1973)

Ian McShane and Sean in The Terrorists (1974)

Sean in Murder on the Orient Express (1974)

Sean in The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

Sean in The Wind & the Lion (1975)

Sean in The Next Man (1976)

Sean in Robin & Marian (1976)

Sean and Michael Graham Cox in A Bridge Too Far (1977)

Sean in The First Great Train Robbery (1978)

Sean in Cuba (1979)

Sean, Karl Malden, Natalie Wood, and Brian Keith in Meteor (1979)

Sean in Outland (1981)

Sean in Time Bandits (1981)

Sean in Wrong is Right (1982)

Sean in Five Days One Summer (1982)

Sean in Never Say Never Again (1983)

Sean in Sword of the Valiant: The Legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (1984)

Sean in Highlander (1986)

Sean in The Name of the Rose (1986)

Sean and Kevin Costner in The Untouchables (1987)

Sean in The Presidio (1988)

Sean in Family Business (1989)

John Rhys-Davies, Harrison Ford, Sean, and Denholm Elliott in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Sean in The Hunt for Red October (1990)

Sean in The Russia House (1990)

Sean in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)

Sean and Christopher Lambert in Highlander II: The Quickening (1991)

Sean in Medicine Man (1992)

Wesley Snipes and Sean in Rising Sun (1993)

Sean in A Good Man in Africa (1994)

Ed Harris and Sean in Just Cause (1995)

Sean in The First Knight (1995)

Sean voicing Draco with Dennis Quaid in DragonHeart (1996)

Sean in The Rock (1996)

Sean and Gena Rowlands in Playing by Heart (1998)

Sean in The Avengers (1998)

Sean in Entrapment (1999)

Sean in Finding Forrester (2000)

Sean in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)

Nice man. Good actor. R.I.P. 🙏✝️

Holden, I like Sean Connery, and a consequence of Connery's death is that I reviewed his filmography, and I learned that I haven't seen most of his movies. I've seen the Bond movies, his Indiana Jones movie, "The Untouchables," and most of the popular movies that he did from the 1990's until he retired, but I haven't seen his other movies. Since you know so much about movies and seem to be a Connery fan, I'd like to know your top 10 best Connery films/performances. I'll start watching them! Thanks for your guidance.

Holden, I like Sean Connery, and a consequence of Connery's death is that I reviewed his filmography, and I learned that I haven't seen most of his movies. I've seen the Bond movies, his Indiana Jones movie, "The Untouchables," and most of the popular movies that he did from the 1990's until he retired, but I haven't seen his other movies. Since you know so much about movies and seem to be a Connery fan, I'd like to know your top 10 best Connery films/performances. I'll start watching them! Thanks for your guidance.
Hey there, Pal! Sure.

For me The Hill (1965) is his best performance, and a darn good flick. It is the first of his five collaborations with director Sidney Lumet, set in an African World War II British Army military prison. My favorite Connery movie period is John Huston's adaptation of Kipling's The Man Who Would Be King (1975) where Connery and Michael Caine are perfectly cast as two soldiers of fortune who bite off more than they can chew. Connery did a lot of great work in the 1970s, lots of facial hair, lots of period pieces, but audiences at large seemed to be slow to accept him as something other than 007 until he aged into those older roles in the '80s and beyond. The Molly Maguires (1970) is an excellent historically-based piece about Irish-American Pennsylvania coal miners in the 19th Century co-starring Richard Harris. The 1800s is also the setting for Michael Crichton's gritty and fun The Great Train Robbery (1978) co-starring Donald Sutherland. Dick Lester's Robin & Marian (1976) is set even further back, though past the point of other cinematic tales of Robin of Locksley, finding Connery and Audrey Hepburn as the title characters a couple decades after the story that is usually told and ultimately clashing again with Robert Shaw's Sheriff of Nottingham.

Set just in the first few years of the 20th Century is John Milius' The Wind and the Lion (1975), a loose riff on a real incident, here it is Connery's Moroccan sharif who kidnaps an American (Candy Bergen) and interests President Teddy Roosevelt (Brian Keith). The ludicrous ethnic miscasting of Connery aside - something that would never happen in this day and age - when you get past that and the other tweaks of history it is a rousing Kiplingesque adventure and Sean is charming as ever. Going from the past into the future, Outland (1981) is sort of High Noon meets Alien finding Connery's marshall of a moonbase mining operation above Jupiter who must almost single-handedly take on some baddies, with a wonderful supporting turn by Frances Sternhagen. Not as action-filled as today's audience might want, it's a good B-movie.

All of the other Lumet films are worth seeing. The most famous is being aboard the all-star Murder on the Orient Express (1974) as one of the myriad suspects, of course. Lesser known are the funky, paranoid heist flick The Anderson Tapes (1971) featuring a young Christopher Walken, the tense back-and-forth British cop interrogation drama of The Offence (1973), and then the least of them - though still enjoyable, especially for Connery - is Family Business (1989) where after being ethnically miscast so often in his career it is not Connery but Dustin Hoffman who is the head-scratcher here, playing his son, with Matthew Broderick his grandson. The third act builds to a big fat nothing, but Connery has some fun, strong moments.

I'd recommend working one's way through those. Happy viewing!

Thanks buddy. I have only seen one of these movies, "The Great Train Robbery," and I liked that. This is a great list!

Not to sound entirely insensitive here, (because the man had a great run and as we all know he was a legend), but I'm so glad he didn't meet his end with that "knife-shoe" at the end of From Russia with Love... that would have been very... what's the word I'm looking for... not "unfortunate"... ah, yes... "anti-climatic."
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Men.Real Men.