Canadian Movies

Tools    

Why do Canadian movies suck so much? My theory is that us Canadians try to copy the feel of hollywood-style movies. Obviously it's not the location as most US movies are filmed here in Canada, it's the actors...the terrible, terrible actors.

Watch Jesus of Montreal, Atarnajuat or Cowards Bend the Knee, you should reconsider your opinion on Canadian films. Great films such as these, or other good ones such as The Sweet Hereafter, The Barbarian Invasions and Kissed, are definitely outnumbered by junk- but that's true of the films of every nation, everywhere is mostly crap.

Why do Canadian movies suck so much? My theory is that us Canadians try to copy the feel of hollywood-style movies. Obviously it's not the location as most US movies are filmed here in Canada, it's the actors...the terrible, terrible actors.
There are plenty of good actors and filmmakers in Canada. Do you have any examples to go with your theory?

And this'll shock you, I'm sure, but there are already existing threads on this topic: HERE and HERE.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

And this'll shock you, I'm sure, but there are already existing threads on this topic: HERE and HERE.
I'm even less shocked that someone pointed that out. Do you people have nothing better to do than point out similar threads to me? Just comment on the thread at hand or go away. Thanks.

I'm even less shocked that someone pointed that out. Do you people have nothing better to do than point out similar threads to me? Just comment on the thread at hand or go away. Thanks.
People usually post to share things. Wouldn't it have been more interesting to join in the conversations linked for you by Holden? After all people have already put some thought into thinking of good Canadian films, some of which you might not be aware of.

Two things you need to learn: (1) NEVER run down your own people in front of others. Take pride in who you are. Otherwise, you risk appearing foolish to both sides.

(2) There are lots of Canadian films as good or better as anything filmed in the US, UK, France, or Germany. Borders are no barriers to talent.

Two of my favorite Canadian films, The Grey Fox (1982) and Black Robe (1991), are as good as they come and introduced me to very good actors--US and Canadian--who I'd never seen before.

How about you learn some forum etiquette or go away. Thanks.

Incidentally, yes we do have much better things to do than repeat what has already been said (many times before) just because your lazy ass can't bother to do a search before making a thread.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Since when do Canadian films try to copy the look and feel of Hollywood??? I've yet to see that.

Suspect's Reviews

Cronenberg has made plenty of amazing films in Canada, in fact one review i read about A History of Violence observed a dislocating effect it had from being filmed in Canada- wherein everything seemed American but wasn't.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
I think I've only seen one Canadian movie and that was Cube which was a great movie.

Canadian movies are awesome! Here are some recommendations of good Canadian films:

At Home by Myself… with You (2009)
The Baby Formula (2008)
Bang Bang Baby (2014)
Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006)
The Changeling (1980)
Closet Monster (2015)
Crime Wave (1985)
Cruel & Unusual (2014)
Cube (1997)
Don't Talk to Irene (2017)
I am a Good Person/I Am a Bad Person (2011)
The Mask (1961)
Menteur (2019)
Mommy (2014)
Natasha (2015)
Porcupine Lake (2017)
Scanners (1981)
The Twentieth Century (2019)
Videodrome (1983)
War Witch (2012)
Wet Bum (2014)

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I'm Canadian and I agree that Canadian movie suck usually. All it seems that the really successful Canadian filmmakers mostly go to the US and make American movies.

But two I saw that I thought were good are Tucker and Dale vs. Evil and Quest for Fire.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Anything by David Chronenberg. Fubar.

Incendies
Polytechnique
Enemy
Mommy
Matthias et Maxime
Heartbeats
Cafe de Flore
The Dirties
Operation Avalanche
The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet