Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night

Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior, 1981

I had it on good authority that I would really enjoy this entry in the Mad Max, and sure enough I really did.

Following the events of the first film (which honestly wouldn't be necessary to enjoy this one), Max (Mel Gibson) roams the dystopian Australian outback with his dog, searching for food and gasoline. When he finds himself in the middle of a conflict between a (relatively) peaceful group led by a man named Pappagello (Michael Preston) and a destructive, violent road gang led by the masked Humungus and his main enforcer, Wez (Vernon Wells), Max must decide how much he is willing to extend past his initial transactional agreement with the group. Also along for the ride is a wacky helicopter pilot (Bruce Spence), a warrior woman (Virginia Hey), a paraplegic mechanic (Steve Spears), and a feral child (Emil Minty).

It's funny to think that the main strength of a movie that features flamethrowers and outlandish, bondage-inspired costumes is a less is more approach, but I found that the main heft of the film comes from a certain degree of minimalism when it comes to the main character. There are a lot of movies about tough, cynical men surviving in post-apocalyptic landscapes--and in 99% of them it just takes the right helpless woman or helpless child (or both) to open their hearts. But this isn't a film about Max transforming into a husband or father figure.

From beginning to end, Max never lets go of a certain degree of aloofness. And it makes sense. He has suffered a terrible loss and has no wish to open himself up to that pain again. The film repeatedly offers out possibilities to Max: the feral child, the straight-forward and awesome warrior woman, the pilot. All of them offer that chance for connection--fatherhood, romance, sex, love, friendship. And the great emotional heft of the film comes from the way that you can see some part of Max responding to them before choosing to close himself off again. There's an honesty to this response to trauma--Max is a tragic figure, and the emotional distance he keeps from the other characters is part of his survival. Significantly, none of the characters who represent this potential--the child, the warrior woman, the pilot--are ever given names. I've always gotten weird vibes off of Mel Gibson (even before the whole wishing rape on a woman and using racial slurs thing came to light), but here that nervous, strange energy is put to good use. Gibson does a great job at portraying a man who depends on his outsider status for the sake of his sanity.

Then there's the world-building, which I thought was pretty great. Given the bleak situation, some choose to try to rebuild--the more peaceful group--while others seem only interested in a nihilistic grab-bag approach. I read in an article (so feel free to correct me if this is wrong) that the writers (including director George Miller) wanted to portray a society where gender roles have lost their meaning. Thus Wez's romantic companion, originally a female character, became the Golden Youth. The Warrior Woman apparently was originally meant to be a male character. (This gender parity only extends so far into the film itself, as the only victim of sexual violence is a female character). But this world building also creates a landscape in which Max has no home. He cannot open himself up to the optimism and community of the peaceful group, nor can he ignore his conscience and become a ruthless scavenger like the violent gangs.

One aspect of the film I wasn't sure how to interpret was all of the blatantly gay or homoerotic content. Everything form the fetish leather outfits to the chain that the Golden Youth wears, to the fact that one of the parts of the violent gang is called the Gayboy Berserkers. The violent gang is almost entirely male (with a handful of female characters in the background and one female character used in a visual gag), and I couldn't tell if this was meant to be a commentary on their philosophy (ie there is no need for a balanced society and reproduction because they don't care about the future and long-term survival) or what.

The last thing that I appreciated in the film was the portrayal of violence. It is a violent film, to be sure. Characters are burned, stabbed, shot, crushed and so on. But what makes the action hit hard in this movie is the "routine" and inelegant and arbitrary nature of it all. Characters in this movie are as likely to die accidentally (falling off of a moving vehicle or being hit by a truck) as they are to die doing something noble. And when the main action scenes get going, a character we care about deeply is just as likely to die in a quick scene with little comment as some random extra. There aren't any "heroic" deaths in this film. Yes, characters die doing noble things like defending their companions, but it's always ugly and unfair and cruel. No more so than when (MAJOR SPOILERS)
WARNING: spoilers below
the Warrior Woman is mortally wounded and the Mechanic tries to keep the gang from grabbing her, only for them fall between vehicles and presumably get crushed.

Overall I really enjoyed this one. Mad Max Fury Road is probably one of my favorite films from the last 10 years, and this one had a lot of the same dynamics that I loved about it.

I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed it, it has been a favorite of mine for like 35 years.
The spoiler scene you mention above is a good call-out from you for the reason you point out.
I will say that people who were blown away by Fury Road perplexed me a bit as, while I liked it a lot and thought it was really well done, it seemed largely to just be The Road Warrior updated for a contemporary audience. And I don't mean that as a criticism, merely that it wasn't new in any way to the George Miller universe it was just the next one. Unless you hadn't seen The Road Warrior (or Beyond Thunderdome, for that matter).

Not yet, but I plan to soon.
It took me quite awhile to catch this too. It's definitely worth a watch.

Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior, 1981

It's funny to think that the main strength of a movie that features flamethrowers and outlandish, bondage-inspired costumes is a less is more approach, but I found that the main heft of the film comes from a certain degree of minimalism when it comes to the main character. There are a lot of movies about tough, cynical men surviving in post-apocalyptic landscapes--and in 99% of them it just takes the right helpless woman or helpless child (or both) to open their hearts. But this isn't a film about Max transforming into a husband or father figure.

From beginning to end, Max never lets go of a certain degree of aloofness. And it makes sense. He has suffered a terrible loss and has no wish to open himself up to that pain again. The film repeatedly offers out possibilities to Max: the feral child, the straight-forward and awesome warrior woman, the pilot. All of them offer that chance for connection--fatherhood, romance, sex, love, friendship. And the great emotional heft of the film comes from the way that you can see some part of Max responding to them before choosing to close himself off again. There's an honesty to this response to trauma--Max is a tragic figure, and the emotional distance he keeps from the other characters is part of his survival. Significantly, none of the characters who represent this potential--the child, the warrior woman, the pilot--are ever given names. I've always gotten weird vibes off of Mel Gibson (even before the whole wishing rape on a woman and using racial slurs thing came to light), but here that nervous, strange energy is put to good use. Gibson does a great job at portraying a man who depends on his outsider status for the sake of his sanity.
Glad to see that you liked this one, Takoma; I like it a lot as well as you can see here (I should probably post that review here soon, come to think of it). Great, colorful, minimalist post-apocalyptic action. One thing I feel differently about in it, however, would be Max, which, despite me generally preferring subtlety in film, and the fact that his characterization certainly rings true considering what he went through in the original film, I still feel like the film underplayed his arc a bit too much; it feels like almost all of it was conveyed through The Feral Child's bookending narration (in other words, the film lets us know that Max regained some of his humanity by literally telling us that he did, without really showing it), and The Road Warrior could've really used at least one big "My name is Max" moment of humanization for him, ala Fury Road:

Still a great film besides that nit-pick, though, and thinking about it drives home how, while it doesn't seem as though George Miller had an overarching "master plan" for the series, he still did a good job of making it seem like he did in retrospect, by intentionally looking back at previous entries and building on top of them, like how Fury Road finally gave Max a strong redemption arc, or how The Road Warrior goes all in on the post-apocalyptic setting that the first film only hinted at (which was an accident, because they didn't have the money to shoot at decent locations in the original), or how Mad Max ends up feeling like an intentional origin story (instead of a standalone, one-off film) for how the main character ended up as an survivalist drifter, constantly alienating himself from what's left of society, considering that all the sequels followed in its wake in that regard, y'know?

Another Round (2020, Thomas Vinterberg)

I was really impressed by how deftly this film manages a balancing act between its different moods. From comedy to drama, it runs a wide gamut of emotions, sometimes mixing a whole bunch of them together in a dizzying, intoxicating cocktail. Throughout the film, the fluid handheld camerawork perfectly brings across the atmosphere of being slightly buzzed, following the characters as the 'pro mille' experiment inevitably strays out of control. I applaud Vinterberg not going full throttle pessimistic with this film - the morally ambiguous, bittersweet approach works really well, and the characters come through warm, relatable and very humane. The closing 'dance' sequence is pure magic and captures the mood brilliantly - listening to the Meters' Cissy Strut as the closing credits rolled, I thought to myself, "Hey this is also - kind of - about us trying to escape and get over the pandemic-stricken 2020, about giving the world just the right dose of optimism to move on despite the problems and depression all around." A perfect escapist movie.

P.S.
Mads Mikkelsen delivers a wonderful performance, but the whole cast does a great job, really.

I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed it, it has been a favorite of mine for like 35 years.
The spoiler scene you mention above is a good call-out from you for the reason you point out.
I will say that people who were blown away by Fury Road perplexed me a bit as, while I liked it a lot and thought it was really well done, it seemed largely to just be The Road Warrior updated for a contemporary audience. And I don't mean that as a criticism, merely that it wasn't new in any way to the George Miller universe it was just the next one. Unless you hadn't seen The Road Warrior (or Beyond Thunderdome, for that matter).
my ex boyfriend is huge fan of mad max movies lol, i only saw mad max 1-2 thats all

Howl (2015) - 4/10. A very tame creature feature flick from England. Decently acted, but the story is the same old schlock of guys and gals stuck a certain situation, one douche bag, creatures in bad costumes etc. It was available on Prime, so didn't hurt much.

'Collective' (2020)

Dir.: Alexander Nanau

Extraordinary, infuriating, shocking documentary about political corruption in the Romanian healthcare system. In 2015, a fire at Bucharest's 'Colectiv' club leaves 27 dead and 180 injured, but in the days after, a further 34 deaths occured. Deaths that were preventable. I see alot of films that are so real that they almost feel documentary like but it's very rare that a documentary feels like a film such is the way it's crafted, the lack of narration, the way it's presented and the crazyness of the story.

A few of the scenes in this are so shocking that they provoked audible reactions. It's an incredible piece of work, not just because it's an interesting watch but because it feels like something that is very close to happening even in the most developed nations in the world. There are echoes of this political corruption everywhere. Amongst all of the disturbing scenes - there are moments of real beauty - one survivor's story is particularly moving.

The people who brought us this (notably journalist Catalin Tolontan) are heroes for showing so much tenacity and bravery. As documentaries go it's hard not to give it a 10 out of 10.

Vacancy (2007) - 5/10. Decent enough. Could have been more violent. A little unbelievable in a few places. But worth a watch.

Unregistered User
Hotel Mumbai (2018) -
+
Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019) -
+
The Jesus Rolls (2019) -

Batman: The Killing Joke (2016) -
+

My Darth Star is in for a service
The Fifth Estate

The story of Wikileaks and it's founder Julian Assange.
Most know the story about Wikileaks and Assange what with his demise and long stay at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London.
I was somewhat underwhelmed by this as it was more a character assassination of Assange than it was about the Fifth Estate.
The hypocrisy of governments around the world was evident and the half cocked use of "Patriot Acts" and "classified information" to cover up wrongdoing and negligence by them while trying to silence others who don't believe the diatribe they spout on media outlets around the world.
What was disappointing was Benedict Cumberbatchs' portrayal as he sounded more like Alan Rickman than Assange and the playing down of the atrocities leaked to appease politicians and American ones in particular with little attention given to them.

5/10

I realize that sentence is intriguing. But the revolutionary dolphin is not quite as fun as it sounds.

I will say that people who were blown away by Fury Road perplexed me a bit as, while I liked it a lot and thought it was really well done, it seemed largely to just be The Road Warrior updated for a contemporary audience. And I don't mean that as a criticism, merely that it wasn't new in any way to the George Miller universe it was just the next one.
Having seen both, here are some ways in which I feel Fury Road thematically expands on The Road Warrior

--It gives us a more explicit understanding of the men in the violent gangs, and specifically the culture they have built up around masculinity and sacrifice. It allows one of the gang members to undergo a character arc.

--In Furiosa it gives Max a foil--someone else who is disillusioned and alienated.

--It expands on the way that strategically withholding resources and creating scarcity can allow control over a group.

One thing I feel differently about in it, however, would be Max, which, despite me generally preferring subtlety in film, and the fact that his characterization certainly rings true considering what he went through in the original film, I still feel like the film underplayed his arc a bit too much; it feels like almost all of it was conveyed through The Feral Child's bookending narration (in other words, the film lets us know that Max regained some of his humanity by literally telling us that he did, without really showing it), and The Road Warrior could've really used at least one big "My name is Max" moment of humanization for him, ala Fury Road.
I think that Max is always humanized, but just aloof. For example, giving the child the music box. And I appreciated the honesty behind the fact that him helping the group was largely about revenge for the actions of the violent gang.

I think that Max is always humanized, but just aloof. For example, giving the child the music box. And I appreciated the honesty behind the fact that him helping the group was largely about revenge for the actions of the violent gang.
Now I'm wondering how you'll feel about Thunderdome

An element of Fury Road that isn't present in The Road Warrior is the way it organically establishes that every single individual and thing is commodified in a horrifically direct fashion.

-Beautiful women become breeders.
- Older women are milked like cows.
- Max is a "blood bag."
- War boys only exist to be foot soldiers

Little details are peppered throughout, like Max's shorn hair immediately being collected and him being tattooed with his purpose. This goes beyond the usual scavenging and the mighty controlling materials. In FR, the inhabitants of this world are the materials worth controlling.

It's an idea that makes the subtext more pointed towards today's society.

I only wish FR were slightly less polished and processed to capture the roughness and grittiness of RW. It would then be perfection (it's already pretty darn close and my admiration grows with every viewing).

I only wish FR were slightly less polished and processed to capture the roughness and grittiness of RW. It would then be perfection (it's already pretty darn close and my admiration grows with every viewing).
Yes. I could've done without the CG-tornadoes and stuff, but that's just me nitpicking. One of my favorite movies nevertheless.

Terminator dark fate A- This can't, be understated it, felt like a terminator film!

Worst movie poster ever. And senseless as the movie is b/w. Re-watch of a great American classic.

So sad & delightful. Perfect movie.

Ralph Fiennes OTT in an amusing way. Not bad at all.