James Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, Thomas Mitchell

• 139 points
  • 9 lists
37. Aliens

Director

James Cameron, 1986

Starring

Sigourney Weaver, Carrie Henn, Michael Biehn, Paul Reiser

It's a wonderful life is a classic. Glad it made the 100.

Aliens I am not a fan of. The first Alien film is an intelligent, brilliantly made sci-fi horror. The sequel is an average action flick.

Two more films that I like a lot but didn't vote for.

It's a Wonderful Life has always been one of my mum's favourite films but it wasn't until a few years ago that I finally watched it. I enjoyed it a lot but don't have too much to say past that. Frank Capra is a director I want to see more from.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Aliens when I finally saw it, also a few years ago. It's completely different from the first and becomes a straight-up action film with the right balance of all the key ingredients I enjoy in such films: humour, suspense, action. Ripley is awesome as the protagonist and some of the set-pieces really stand-out as top filmmaking from the genre.

64/64 seen.

I struggled with putting It's A Wonderful Life on my list. I think it's a perfect movie. 25 spots is tough. I probably should have put it on there in place of another Stewart I love that won't be making it at this point.

I really dislike Aliens. If I hadn't just watched Akira it would be in contention for worst movie on the list for me. It's prime 80's action so I simultaneously understand why it had no appeal for me and why guys my age love it.

It's a Wonderful Life was #5 on the MoFo '40s List while Aliens was #11 on the MoFo '80s List as well as #12 on the MoFo Sci-Fi List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Have not seen it's a wonderful life but seen Aliens, I didn't mind it it's not something I'd rewatch alot though

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Never got into Wonderful Life.

Aliens was my #10 pick, 16 points.
One of the greatest sequels ever made... Cameron definitely has a knack for sequels.

I never twigged with it before I saw the making-of about 15 years ago that it's an allegory for Vietnam.
High tech going up against no-tech and losing.
The other thing I loved, was how Cameron used only 6 Alien suits and made it feel like there was hundreds of creatures. He gave an interview of his inspiration about a director in the 1950s or something, who filmed the fall of the Roman Empire using 3 background extras and a bush.

Also, people forget, Sigourney Weaver got nominated for Best Actress, which I think was the first time ever it had been nominated in science fiction.

My List  

Okay, gotta break this one down:

Enter a world
Space travel!

Where monstrous things walk
Self-explanatory.

Where boats can take flight
Spaceships, obviously, but if you wanna go deep, "Nostromo" comes from a novel about a boat.

And lizards can talk
What's the (initially mute) little girl's name again?

A place of great danger
Every corridor fraught

Nothing fancy here, though I chose "corridor" instead of a hundred other location-describing words.

And cursing won't help you
"Get away from her, you bitch!"

Believe it or not
Ripley's Believe It Or Not

It's a Wonderful Life is probably easier to guess, especially after the fact, but obviously "chime" references the bells and the stars/moon thing is part of the conversation he has with his wife earlier in the film:

This one had a stealth hint yesterday in the Fun Facts, which managed to be inconspicuous anyway because it was about yesterday's other Jimmy Stewart movie, Rear Window, though I did wonder if it would put the film in the back of your minds for later.

Even though T2 is more well made, Aliens is my favorite movie and I'm so happy it's above T2. Since I went with "the most well made 25" instead of my favorites which would look completely different, the weirdest thing is that this movie's my number 26! Just under the eligible movies!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well deserving of the list for It's a Wonderful Life. It's in my top 119 but not near the 25.

Aliens is ok but I'm not a huge fan. Surprised Alien beat it though as I thought more people liked the sequel. Or maybe it didn't make it?

Well deserving of the list for It's a Wonderful Life. It's in my top 119 but not near the 25.

Aliens is ok but I'm not a huge fan. Surprised Alien beat it though as I thought more people liked the sequel. Or maybe it didn't make it?
I think if Aliens made it, Alien definitely has.
I'm guessing probably inside the Top 20. No higher than 15th though I reckon.

Okay, gotta break this one down:

Enter a world
Space travel!

Where monstrous things walk
Self-explanatory.

Where boats can take flight
Spaceships, obviously, but if you wanna go deep, "Nostromo" comes from a novel about a boat.

And lizards can talk
What's the (initially mute) little girl's name again?

A place of great danger
Every corridor fraught

Nothing fancy here, though I chose "corridor" instead of a hundred other location-describing words.

And cursing won't help you
"Get away from her, you bitch!"

Believe it or not
Ripley's Believe It Or Not
Almost every single one of those fit for Galaxy Quest (and lots of Sci-Fi flicks), and the cursing thing fits even better as the studio went from an R to a PG-13 rating on the flick which meant no cursing, including badly dubbing Sigourney's line "Well f*ck that!" into "Well screw that!"

And with this, James Cameron is now tied with Steven Spielberg for most movies on the top 100 with three movies:
  • James Cameron: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (71), The Terminator (56), Aliens (37)
  • Steven Spielberg: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (89), Saving Private Ryan (83), Schindler's List (41)
There are three more directors with more than one entry, tied at 2.
  • Alfred Hitchcock: North By Northwest (57), Rear Window (40)
  • Billy Wilder: The Apartment (84), Sunset Boulevard (53)
  • Paul Thomas Anderson: Magnolia (74), There Will Be Blood (60)

I think Alien is more popular overall. The Aliens voices are loud but I think the original is more widely loved.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two more
movies which didn't place on my list.

In my old age I've warmed up to It's a Wonderful Life. I used to think it was merely good, but now I'm convinced it's up there with Capra's best. I've always believed that it is probably the darkest flick which Frank Capra ever made. What Jimmy Stewart is put through in the last half of the film is enough to cause him to want to commit suicide. Hell, his brother "dies", his hometown turns into Sin City, other family members have strokes and other maladies. I'm actually happy that a little CapraCorn shows up just before the ending. I particularly like the scenes at the school dance with the swimming pool and the "romantic" scenes afterwards involving the moon, the old house and especially when Donna Reed loses her clothes, has to hide in the bushes and Stewart acts like a bastard. The homages to A Christmas Carol are also very effective.

Aliens is more of a high-tech action adventure set in space than a straight-up sci-fi, but it's probably one of the very best sequels ever made, and it may well rival French Connection II as a terrific sequel which completely rewrites the themes and motives of the original film. Sigourney Weaver definitely gives a stronger performance in the sequel, especially if you discuss the director's cut. Oh yeah, it's also scary as Hell!

Redone my thingy with predictions

My List  

I think Alien is more popular overall. The Aliens voices are loud but I think the original is more widely loved.
Most definitely. Alien finished fifth on the '70s List, fourth on the Sci-Fi List, and third on the Horror List. It may well be top ten material here, as well.