The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Unforgiven is a good movie.

Halloween is not a film I was expecting to show up at this point. I really don't see why people love it at all. I imagine I'm in the minority but I didn't enjoy it at all.

Both Unforgiven and Halloween are in my category of (generally) well-regarded films I've only seen once and should watch again. I'm betting Halloween in particular would benefit from this.

I'm curious about which movies you think did this better *before* Halloween showed up.
Black Christmas

Welcome to the human race...
I'm curious about which movies you think did this better *before* Halloween showed up. At the time we all thought it had a newness about it--the jump-scares were nearly perfect and felt like nobody had been doing them before. It seems, to me, to have ushered in a lot of now-classic horror elements. I saw it in the theater as a teenager when it first came out, and the two friends I saw it with and I were completely creeped out... especially when we got out to our car and found it unlocked, having been quite certain we had locked it before we went in.

You can bet we checked every inch of that car, and the trunk, and underneath the car, before we got in.
Keeping in mind that not all of us have had the pleasure of experiencing Halloween during its initial theatrical run (and have arguably had to weather decades of imitators and parodies and deconstructions in the meantime), I would say that I prefer The Texas Chain Saw Massacre as far as slashers go - there's a relentless pace and palpable atmosphere that the comparatively anodyne Halloween doesn't quite match. That's without mentioning how Black Christmas arguably came up with enough of the same tropes first (killer's POV, seasonal setting, primarily targeting young women, etc.) but didn't manage to have the same level of immediate success that Halloween did. Just some things that are easier to see with hindsight, though in the end it still comes down to preference.

Black Christmas probably suffered from the title and setting.
Even back in the 70s, people were quick to dismiss a movie based on actors, directors, basic premise.

Black Christmas... horror, at Christmas? Sounds like niche a B-movie made for teenieboppers that relies on jump scares and gore.
Halloween... horror, during Halloween? Sounds like a well made and thought out horror, and is probably scary.

Strongly disagree with this. The character is extremely important to establish who Little Bill is and how he operates, but he also serves as a parallel to Munny. His beating is also integral to the general deconstruction of the outlaw myth on the film.
Ya, English Bob is the entire film in miniature. Almost an anecdotal story of how the fates of Little Bill and Munny will play out. Because of this, it's one of the central pieces of the entire movie. How the glorification of violence, and how hollow it ultimately is, ripples through all of these main players in The Unforgiven.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Please don't stone me for saying this. I have seen Halloween 10+ times at this point.

Halloween was cliched and ridiculous, and I saw it at the theatre when it came out too. I'd already seen Silent Night, Bloody Night and Black Christmas and hundreds of other horrors where someone was trying to get away from a mad killer. But I will give Halloween credit for being intense enough in the last half hour that you could forget about logic. I think people prefer their horrors to not have any logic, whether universal or internal. They just want a visceral experience like a nightmare. They'll complain about logic in rom coms or musicals - if they watch any.
Honestly, I have nothing against Halloween.

Here's the house [built in 1912] we moved into in L.A. in June, decorated for Halloween. My bariatic bed is right next to the front door and behind the window to the right.

Unforgiven is a damn fine film with beautiful cinematography and a haunting score. A complex examination of right and wrong with some great performances, it may have Clint's most poetic direction.

That American Craftsman pre-WWII style is also popularly called California Bungalow.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Adventure Starts Here!
I see that this beats Halloween by a few years, but I honestly had never heard of it and had to go look it up. Is this worth watching for reasons *other* than comparing it to Halloween?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Fair enough on all points re. Halloween. The one thing I'd take issue with is judging some of its tropes by *later* (and stale) entries in this genre. Just because a million movies did similar things *later* doesn't make the first few examples trite. I agree that it comes down to preference. I'm not a fan of gore, and I was not the type to see scary movies on the big screen back in the 1970s, so Halloween scared me in ways that worked really well.

The fact that it probably has lasted the longest of the other examples mentioned above here tells me that Carpenter clearly did something right.

"Halloween" was alright, if remembering it correctly. Saw it at the drive-in when released. I've mentioned before that horror is my weak sauce, a genre I don't really care for. Similar to the other film, there was only room for one horror on my list, and this ain't it.
Me too. I seen Halloween first run in the theater and didn't care much for it. I never liked slasher films. I also had only one horror film on my list and it's a masterpiece!

If last year's Horror countdown was any indication, there's a good chance that The Thing will show up later.
I'd be okay with this

Me too. I seen Halloween first run in the theater and didn't care much for it. I never liked slasher films. I also had only one horror film on my list and it's a masterpiece!
Hoping we picked the same film, but my gut says "no". Even though mine is a few decades old, it still holds up very well to this day.

I see that this beats Halloween by a few years, but I honestly had never heard of it and had to go look it up. Is this worth watching for reasons *other* than comparing it to Halloween?
Margot Kidder, Keir Dullea, and Andrea Martin are all in it, so yes.