The Videogames Tab

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
It’s got electrolytes Keanu.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Ohhhh, I know all about this! I don't have a Quest, but Yoda's brother does and is eagerly awaiting this release tomorrow! The good news for me is that they ARE developing a PC and VR version not just for Quest. So yay, but not tomorrow-yay.

I guess these stories/videos of CP77 running on last gen machines may change my mind. Kinda lame for a game that started development 8 years ago.

The People's Republic of Clogher
My take on all the Cyberpunk noise is that it's an ambitious (in the tech sense, not in any way stylistically or thematically), buggy game with a world and characters that the writing team didn't necessarily have the experience of to paint in anything other than broad, dated strokes. Basically, an indie Rockstar game.

I bought it, which I always knew I was going to do, deep down. Was initially pleased at the solid 60fps I seemed to be getting on PS5 (and this is still a last-gen game, with no dedicated PS5 update coming until next year) ... and then it bugged out during the tutorial mission and I had to restart. Probably won't play anything more than the tutorial as I've got other games on the go that I want to finish.

Hopefully by the time I get back to Cyberpunk they'll have ironed out most of the problems.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - 6/10
I don't remember ever playing the original Mafia, so this is all new to me. Dialogue, characters, and voice acting are mostly good, but Paulie is too hammy for an otherwise serious story, and Siglieri comes across more as a department store manager than a big time Mafia Don. Maybe it has to do with HQ being a small restaurant, or the fact that you never see more than around 10 of your 'family' in one place, but the big time crime operation feels smaller than the story makes it out to be.

I liked it overall, mainly because the story was pretty good with some great scenery. Most of the effort seems to have gone into the environment. Gameplay is pretty smooth and non-buggy, but the vast majority of the action is in peek-a-boo gunfighting with magnetic cover.

More than a few scenes brought this to mind:

I've also played Cyberpunk for around 6 hours now, and I'm one of fortunate souls that isn't experiencing any bugs yet (16GB RAM + r5 3600 + gtx 1660 with a driver update, playing on mostly high 1080p settings). I don't know if people expected it to rewrite the book or something, but I'm loving it. It's playing like a Fallout game for the most part, and the world is fascinating so far (more Transmetropolitan than Blade Runner). I'll update if my opinion changes.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - 6/10
I don't remember ever playing the original Mafia, so this is all new to me.

Best. Collectibles. Ever.

I've also played Cyberpunk for around 6 hours now, and I'm one of fortunate souls that isn't experiencing any bugs yet (16GB RAM + r5 3600 + gtx 1660 with a driver update, playing on mostly high 1080p settings). I don't know if people expected it to rewrite the book or something, but I'm loving it. It's playing like a Fallout game for the most part, and the world is fascinating so far (more Transmetropolitan than Blade Runner). I'll update if my opinion changes.
I've played around the same amount of hours and I'm also really digging it so far. The game is gorgeous. I've experienced a few glitches, however. People floating when they cross a street, or sometimes lips not moving when they speak, but nothing game breaking. I also came across some spelling errors in the tutorials which they need to fix ASAP. I'm not having it! But seriously, the game is pretty great so far. The level of immersion is insane.

I will say this, driving has been awful for me. I've been walking everywhere in Night City because I'm afraid of running people over.

Which path did you choose?

there's a frog in my snake oil
The slow march of the daddest of space games continues...

Can’t decide if the pay-for-alpha option is a Star Citizen dig or not

I've played around the same amount of hours and I'm also really digging it so far. The game is gorgeous. I've experienced a few glitches, however. People floating when they cross a street, or sometimes lips not moving when they speak, but nothing game breaking. I also came across some spelling errors in the tutorials which they need to fix ASAP. I'm not having it! But seriously, the game is pretty great so far. The level of immersion is insane.

I will say this, driving has been awful for me. I've been walking everywhere in Night City because I'm afraid of running people over.

Which path did you choose?
Still haven't had any floating pedestrians. I got my car stuck in a fence, but that was my own dumb fault. Driving is iffy for me as well.

I'm a Nomad with a magnum dong, but I feel like it would've been more interesting if I picked Corpo. I just got past the Cyberpunk title scene (around 9 hours in). I expected the typical life-sucking action RPG stuff and a cool environment, but I'm so happy with the story right now.

I gotta say, I love the music as well. The actual score is cool, if too quasi-Doom, but it's been so long since I've played a game with a radio soundtrack that I love.

Still haven't had any floating pedestrians. I got my car stuck in a fence, but that was my own dumb fault. Driving is iffy for me as well.

I'm a Nomad with a magnum dong, but I feel like it would've been more interesting if I picked Corpo. I just got past the Cyberpunk title scene (around 9 hours in). I expected the typical life-sucking action RPG stuff and a cool environment, but I'm so happy with the story right now.

I gotta say, I love the music as well. The actual score is cool, if too quasi-Doom, but it's been so long since I've played a game with a radio soundtrack that I love.
I'm an hour or so past the title card. Went back a few times to try and change some things because I was NOT happy with certain outcomes. Turns out I can't . Not sure if things go down the same way for you (I'm a streetkid. Shocker), but you should know what I'm talking about. Doing some side missions for now, it's crazy how much there is to do. I've gotten a bit used to driving. Turns out it's a lot easier at night when there are no people walking around.

The music is definitely a nice touch.

I've been playing some Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr lately. It's quite a good ARPG these days with a nice amount of build customization and a ton of end game grind. At least that's my initial impression as I bought it just a few days ago. Also, I've always liked Warhammer (both Fantasy and 40k and all the other associated titles) so it's cool to cause mayhem in that world. For the Emperor!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I'm not kidding here, but every time I see that title I read Chypmunk 2077.

hm.
@Chypmunk2077?

Not seeing this anywhere on Steam, not even in a "Coming Soon" sense. How did you find out about this?
It's actually a game called Cyberpunk 2077, there's just a moment early on where you hold a walkie talkie off to the side the same way (and it's even yellow) that brought Firewatch to mind.

Cyberpunk 2077 is basically cyberpunk Bloodlines. Anyone expecting GTA will be disappointed to heavens.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I think it's very much GTA, but GTA 3. I don't think I've seen such specific examples of open world jank in a big game since then, like when parking your car and causing a 3 mile pile up behind you because the AI can't drive round your vehicle and continue its route. I wish it was half as well written as Bloodlines.

I'm having a lot more fun with it now that the training wheels are slowly coming off but it's frequently a struggle. A couple of big problems I've had by hour 10 are that the city, although large and detailed, is kinda faceless and hard to get around without constantly looking at the awful map. I'd love to have made a favourable comparison with the king of Cyberpunk themed immersive sims, Deus Ex, but while 2077 shows you multiple routes to your goal, the easiest by far has always been 'walk straight in and shoot the place up'.