Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Papillon (2017)

This was pretty good, some of the dialogue is a bit creaky (Charlie Hunnam's especially) . I can forgive.

I hope you saw the original with Steve McQueen!

I hope you saw the original with Steve McQueen!
I really hate re-makes.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I really hate re-makes.

Me too - they don't re-make em like they used to!

The only re-makes I have seen were by chance; didn't know they were re-makes, such as the second "Mutiny on the Bounty" and "A Star is Born" w/ Judy Garland..

Even if its a movie I love - no way I'm going to look into that abyss.

Me too - they don't re-make em like they used to!

The only re-makes I have seen were by chance; didn't know they were re-makes, such as the second "Mutiny on the Bounty" and "A Star is Born" w/ Judy Garland..

Even if its a movie I love - no way I'm going to look into that abyss.
I suppose they want to appeal to a younger “fresher” audience & I get this, but to re-make a movie such as Far from the Madding Crowd or The Thomas Crown Affair (to name just two) is absurd at best & downright insulting at worst.

Watched Psych 2:Lassie Come Home. Like the first movie this is strictly for the fans. Can't see others enjoying it as much as a fan of the series would. It's like an extended episode.
Was also nice to see Timothy Omundson continuing his recovery from stroke.

Sound of Metal (2020) - 7.2/10. Riz Ahmed turns in an Oscar worthy performance in this one. Certainly one of the best movies of the year. In a year where Netflix is booming, good to see something good to come out from Amazon. The slow spiraling out of control is shown wonderfully. And Riz just holds the movie together from start to finish.

Jallikattu (2020) - 4/10. This is India's entry for the Oscars. Not a very good one at that. I can understand what they were going for (humans are the real animals in this world, sort of thing), but the execution and story telling were totally a miss. The only thing going for it is the camerawork and lighting. But since, its only the considering the best "movie", it falls flat there coz the story is weak.

Night Editor (1946)

One of the best “B” films noir, it’s quite a tawdry story shoe-horned into a 68 minute running time.

A night editor on a police beat tells the story of a married detective who has an affair with a society dame who is also married. While necking near the beach they witness a murder. Though they both recognize the murderer, they decide at first not to finger the criminal for fear of exposing their own affair. Later the detective changes his mind, but his erstwhile cold blooded paramour refuses.

The detective played by reliable “B” picture star William Gargan turns out to have a conscience, but his lover played by the gorgeous Janis Carter turns out to be one of the most memorable femme fatales in noir history—a danger seeking sadomasochist who gets aroused combining physical harm with sex. This role definitely slipped by the 1946 censors! All movies done in the mid 20th Century were regulated by the Hays Code to be in effect G-rated. But parents must have had some fast talking to do if they took the kids to this one.

Outside of the two principals, there were nice roles for the sweetheart Jeff Donnell (In a Lonely Place, Sweet Smell of Success) as Garagan’s wife, and the venerable Harry Shannon (High Noon, Executive Suite) as the story teller. Director Henry Levin had a long career to 1980 as a director of mostly light comedies.

In true “B” style because of low funding it tickled me to notice that the detective’s car was an early 1930s model which seemed out of place. Then it dawned on me that most of the picture was a flash back to 1932 from the year 1946, but they hadn’t bothered to make the sets, cars or clothing conform to 1932! They simply didn’t have the budget.

This picture is a must-see for all noir fans!

An element of Fury Road that isn't present in The Road Warrior is the way it organically establishes that every single individual and thing is commodified in a horrifically direct fashion.
Right--this is a different type of violence from the destruction of The Road Warrior, where you get the sense that they don't care about babies or lineage or the future.

In Fury Road society has, to a degree, been rebuilt. But it has been rebuilt in a way to benefit those at the top while using artificial scarcity to keep those at the bottom too busy to rise up.

I suppose they want to appeal to a younger “fresher” audience & I get this, but to re-make a movie such as Far from the Madding Crowd or The Thomas Crown Affair (to name just two) is absurd at best & downright insulting at worst.
I think that the 2015 version of Far from the Madding Crowd is a visually lush, well-acted film that does a great job in translating the major themes from the book in a condensed form.

I think that the 2015 version of Far from the Madding Crowd is a visually lush, well-acted film that does a great job in translating the major themes from the book in a condensed form.
Have you seen the original?

Save The Last Dance (2001) loved to rewatched my dvd collection 10/10 one of my favorite dance films , loved the music and the cast especially julia stiles, loved her on 10 things i hate about you =]

Have you seen the original?
Not yet--it's on my watchlist because I've heard good things.

I watched the 2015 film because I read a really glowing review of it, then I liked it so much that I read the novel. Then I decided it's one of those novels that I'll watch pretty much any adaptation of it.

Not yet--it's on my watchlist because I've heard good things.

I watched the 2015 film because I read a really glowing review of it, then I liked it so much that I read the novel. Then I decided it's one of those novels that I'll watch pretty much any adaptation of it.
I hated the re-make. Just could not see Mulligan as Bathsheba. And the guy from Belgium (too lazy & can’t spell his name) did not resonate as Gabriel. (Huge fan of both BTW.)

In any case the original ruined the re-make for me. Julie Christie, Terry Stamp & Finch were so so perfect. One of my fave movies of all time.

It is a great book by Hardy, as you know.

41, 2012

Grad student Aidan is a bit adrift in life. His grandmother, his closest relative and the woman who raised him, is terminally ill. He's coming off of a break up with his girlfriend, Lauren. Then one day he sees . . . himself. Another version of himself who approaches and warns him to stay away from a certain hotel. Weirded out, Aiden has a chance encounter with Lauren and the two spend a companionable evening together that ends tragically. When another strange person again mentions the hotel, Aiden discovers a hole/portal in the floor of a hotel room that sends a person back in time 12 hours. Aiden becomes determined to change the course of events with Lauren.

This movie had . . . some complicated feelings about itself.

In the middle of the film, Aidan attends a small meeting of philosophy professors, asking them about time-travel under the guise of a book he is writing. As the men discuss the different theories of time travle (can you change events? Are you just creating parallel universes? etc), the sequence turns into a meta-discussion of the film itself. "Why is he going back in time?" asks one professor. "To save someone he loves, his ex-girlfriend," Aidan answers. "Pfft, of course. Cliche," the professor responds. The film even lampshades its own (lack of) special effects. "What happens when he goes into the hole? Is it a portal or something?" "Nah, it's just a hole in the floor. He goes in and then he comes out." "Well that's not exciting." But I actually enjoyed this scene. It goes a step beyond lampshading because the conversation he has changes his approach to what he has been doing. The film's message is ultimately interesting and I appreciated its resolution.

What makes the film less successful is what feels like a very contrived first third/half. The plot hinges on Aidan repeatedly being unsuccessful in changing events. But everything he tries is just SO DUMB. If you knew that someone was going to die in a car crash, would you solve that problem by hiding in the bushes and then jumping out in front of that car? Aiden has hours and hours to change the trajectory of himself or Lauren, but over and over his efforts are just stupid. The film kind of boxes itself in, because it needs Aidan to fail, but so many possible solutions immediately come to mind (like slashing the car tires, or calling himself or Lauren and faking an emergency, etc) that it's hard to watch Aidan make dumb choices over and over.

In terms of low-budget sci-fi, this is fine. The performances are all good and the premise is fun. It definitely didn't end the way that I thought it would, and that's a compliment. I just wish that the first half were a little more polished.

I hated the re-make. Just could not see Mulligan as Bathsheba. And the guy from Belgium (too lazy & can’t spell his name) did not resonate as Gabriel. (Huge fan of both BTW.)

In any case the original ruined the re-make for me. Julie Christie, Terry Stamp & Finch were so so perfect. One of my fave movies of all time.

It is a great book by Hardy, as you know.
I liked all of the actors in their parts. And I thought that the imagery and use of color was really beautiful. But then again, they were the first versions of those characters that I encountered. But when I read the book, I didn't have any moments of like "Wait a minute!". I'm looking forward to the original. I don't mind having several adaptations of a novel I love--I can happily enjoy multiple versions of Hamlet or Pride and Prejudice.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
American Pie 2 (2001):
A great sequel that lives up to the original. It ties with it. The scenes at Tall Oaks are hilarious.
9/10
American Wedding (2003):
The 3rd film in the quadrilogy, probably has the funniest scene in the series with the bachelor party. The European cousin.
9/10
American Reunion (2012):
A proper conclusion to the series. Jim’s Dad being drunk was awesome.
8.5/10