2020 Halloween Challenge

Tools    

Near Dark (1987)

Vampire movies don't get much better than Near Dark. That this movie is so underseen, hard to come by - it's still not streaming - and that it did badly at the box office is criminal. I like the many ways that director Bigelow proves Billy Corgan's classic lyric "the world is a vampire" from a mosquito to a shot of oil derricks, thus confusing the antics of Mae, Homer, Severen et al with surviving. I, like Caleb, considered this dilemma throughout the movie, mostly because Pasdar's very good performance and Bigelow's use of close-ups really let you get inside his head. Thankfully, Pasdar's career is still going strong, but he may have been a bigger star had this movie been more successful. I was also very impressed by Bill Paxton's work as Severen, this member of the coven who's clearly enjoying himself the most, for how he made me laugh at one moment and sent chills down my spine the next. Bigelow's raw, natural direction and the performances that result is ideal for horror and make me wish she would work more often in the genre, especially for the scene at a bar where you see the coven at their worst. Regardless, Near Dark is also very much a love story, and while the sun is no friend to these vampires, Caleb and Mae's love and the love of Caleb's pursuing father and sister are their true foes.

By the way, how do I post half popcorn and empty popcorn?

Finally, somewhere I can wax poetic about my recent viewing of The Rat Savior!

It was pretty, pretty good.
I don't speak the language on that poster but I can tell it translates into something amazing.

A system of cells interlinked
Near Dark
Remove the asterisks from the code below and set the number in the middle to the amount of boxes you wish.

[rating*]3_5[/rating*] Would give you three and a half boxes.

Also, most folks on the site tend to use a 5 box rating system, as opposed to 4. Obviously, you are free to use whatever you wish, but I do see most people using 5.

Victim of The Night
Near Dark (1987)

Vampire movies don't get much better than Near Dark. That this movie is so underseen, hard to come by - it's still not streaming - and that it did badly at the box office is criminal. I like the many ways that director Bigelow proves Billy Corgan's classic lyric "the world is a vampire" from a mosquito to a shot of oil derricks, thus confusing the antics of Mae, Homer, Severen et al with surviving. I, like Caleb, considered this dilemma throughout the movie, mostly because Pasdar's very good performance and Bigelow's use of close-ups really let you get inside his head. Thankfully, Pasdar's career is still going strong, but he may have been a bigger star had this movie been more successful. I was also very impressed by Bill Paxton's work as Severen, this member of the coven who's clearly enjoying himself the most, for how he made me laugh at one moment and sent chills down my spine the next. Bigelow's raw, natural direction and the performances that result is ideal for horror and make me wish she would work more often in the genre, especially for the scene at a bar where you see the coven at their worst. Regardless, Near Dark is also very much a love story, and while the sun is no friend to these vampires, Caleb and Mae's love and the love of Caleb's pursuing father and sister are their true foes.

I need to revisit this.
I've seen it twice and it didn't work for me either time. The movie has its highs, though they didn't excite me the way they seem to have many others, but I thought the script was kinda painful with a few things, particularly one key scene that was just beyond my credibility threshold even for a vampire movie.
I like Bigelow's direction and I like vampires, so I need to see if I can reconcile with this film.

I don't speak the language on that poster but I can tell it translates into something amazing.
Technically, it would be The Rat Clan. As it is about a clan of Rat People. With a Rat Savior. And their Rat Shenanigans (mostly drinking and ****ing, and twitching their slightly grey noses, and squinting their whiskery eyes because...rats)

I'm sure it is meant as some Croatian political allegory, but I'm fine treating it as literally as possible. I've had enough of politics, even in the abstract.

Near Dark (1987)

I got to see this in a restored version (at least I believe it was, it looked very good) in a theatre about two years ago. It's a quality vampire film, although it pales in comparison to what are likely my three favorites (Blood For Dracula, Martin, Fright Night)

Remove the asterisks from the code below and set the number in the middle to the amount of boxes you wish.

[rating*]3_5[/rating*] Would give you three and a half boxes.

Also, most folks on the site tend to use a 5 box rating system, as opposed to 4. Obviously, you are free to use whatever you wish, but I do see most people using 5.
That helps, thanks.
Gosh, I'm craving popcorn badly. Gonna go make a bag.

Finally, somewhere I can wax poetic about my recent viewing of The Rat Savior!

It was pretty, pretty good.
Were the souls of the rats saved? Spoiler text if necessary!

"Vampire Film", Blood And Donuts, which I actually liked a good bit.
*phew* We can still be friends.

I really like this film. I think it has a vibe and a pace to it that's pretty different than what I associate with most horror films. And I think that it treads this line between horror, comedy, and melancholy really well. It's not perfect, but I think it's unique. (And criminally underseen).

2. An Edgar Allan Poe adaptation
THE TELL-TALE HEART (1928)

This is considered to be the first filmed version of the story. An American film, just under half-an-hour, with an obvious debt to Caligari's set design. (Interesting that both tTTH and TCoDC are narrated by "madmen".) And a lead actor that sort of looks like Johnny Depp.
Another recommendation from me, especially for fans of the silent era or German Expressionism. Very cool. (on Youtube)

I need to revisit this.
I've seen it twice and it didn't work for me either time. The movie has its highs, though they didn't excite me the way they seem to have many others, but I thought the script was kinda painful with a few things, particularly one key scene that was just beyond my credibility threshold even for a vampire movie.
I like Bigelow's direction and I like vampires, so I need to see if I can reconcile with this film.
Is the key scene
WARNING: spoilers below
the blood transfusion scene? I'm not that much of a purist about vampire rules, so it didn't bother me that much.
I agree that some of the dialogue was cheesy such as Mae's star speech, but it least approximates how teenagers talk.

Victim of The Night
*phew* We can still be friends.

I really like this film. I think it has a vibe and a pace to it that's pretty different than what I associate with most horror films. And I think that it treads this line between horror, comedy, and melancholy really well. It's not perfect, but I think it's unique. (And criminally underseen).
Yeah, I just enjoyed it, which was funny because not that much really happens. I thought Rita's part in the story was really great, something I hadn't quite seen before, I really liked the main vampire, I liked most of the supporting characters/actors, and I liked the melancholy.
There was one thing I did not like, pretty obviously, which was
WARNING: "Spoiler-stuff" spoilers below
Earl being resurrected from the dead with a car battery and donut jelly.
That seemed to work against almost everything, tonally, that the film had set up.

Victim of The Night
Is the key scene
WARNING: spoilers below
the blood transfusion scene? I'm not that much of a purist about vampire rules, so it didn't bother me that much.
I agree that some of the dialogue was cheesy such as Mae's star speech, but it least approximates how teenagers talk.
It was. It's layers of suspension of credibility that have to be applied to take this.
WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
If it's that simple to cure vampirism, and apparently you can do it in a barn, then why is anyone a vampire unless they just choose to be? If a farmer can figure out how to do it, why has no one else in the history of the world? If farmers without any experience in the field can perform blood transfusions, what are doctors and nurses for? Where did he even get the idea? If people can even survive blood transfusions in barns, why do we do it in hospitals and clinics? Is becoming a vampire actually even a threat anymore if all it takes is an unmatched transfusion?

23. A horror film on Amazon
THE TELL-TALE HEART (1960)

Another pleasant surprise that I'd never heard of till now. This one keeps the guilty-conscience angle of the Poe story, but discards the old man/vulture eye plot. Instead the murder is a result of a love triangle gone awry. Decent performances from the unfamiliar-to-me cast, and visually it's got a Victorian/Dr Jekyll look going on which I can dig. Another thumbs up.

23. A horror film on Amazon
THE TELL-TALE HEART (1960)

Another pleasant surprise that I'd never heard of till now. This one keeps the guilty-conscience angle of the Poe story, but discards the old man/vulture eye plot. Instead the murder is a result of a love triangle gone awry. Decent performances from the unfamiliar-to-me cast, and visually it's got a Victorian/Dr Jekyll look going on which I can dig. Another thumbs up.
But....the vulture eye is the best part!!

Victim of The Night

Well, this pretty much sucked. I mean, if someone wanted to make the case that it did just suck, I wouldn't argue with them.
It kinda feels like if someone was making a ****ty version of Zombieland, which I quite liked. It doesn't feel like anybody's really trying at all in this movie. The script is really half-assed and is mostly just based on touring through wacky new characters who come and go and don't really leave as much of an impact as the filmmakers think they do, if even they cared about this movie. There's just so little effort here. Abigail Breslin is maybe the guiltiest, she seems the least interested in being in this movie, but really Emma Stone is pretty much mailing in what little she has to do in this and Woody Harrelson, even the pro that he is, is just rehashing old schtick (which isn't really his fault I guess since the writers only gave him old schtick to work with here). There's little follow-through on anything, if you were expecting anything that seems to be getting set up early in the movie to actually go anywhere, you will be disappointed. The movie goes nowhere.
Really just a slapdash cash-in.

9. A Gothic Horror Tale (40's-60's)
THE BLANCHEVILLE MONSTER aka HORROR (1963)

Honestly, I've already forgotten which Poe story this one is pretending to be based on, but I'm not being a stickler for that.
This one is slow and plodding and will bore 80% of the population but if you're like me and like to wallow in cobweb-infested sets this scratches the Halloween itch nicely. (Available on Prime)