Just how overrated is Dicaprio ? and his parallels with Chris Nolan

Tools    

I am shocked at how many people blindly call him the greatest actor ever...if you look at any comments section of his videos...the top 10-20 most popular comments are about him and oscar..and they have thousands of likes...I have theories and I see incredible parallels between Dicaprio and Christopher nolan..Nolan to a lesser extent.
Read this article first - "Why Are Christopher Nolan Fans So Intense? - ScreenCrush"
So it has to do with the kind of movies he makes that attract a certain kind of audience.If you take a toy from a kid, he cries and will have an outburst but if you take something from an adult the result would be much more polite for the most part.
For the most part Dicaprio makes movies that will appeal to men from 10-40 yrs of age.Macho high budget visceral movies.But to me he just has more expressive face than Matt damon and Titanic. Its crazy how easily you can trace his career back to titanic.His careful use of bankability in building a brand like apple. You watch a movie i am in, you are gonna get exactly what you expect, a thrilling plot that's easily understood and instant gratification.
But this facade has a lot of holes which can be pointed out if you are a rationale human being.He never surprises.He always ends up in a situation where the circumstances surrounding the movie elevate the lead performance. The factors contributing to the circumstances are auteur filmmaker as director,a good distributing studio, all the people who are financially benefited by Dicaprio at any point in his career. Key thing you need to understand is when you have a star who can make money for lot of people..no one is gonna question his talent..thats like questioning the hand that feeds your colleagues.
So his talent go unquestioned and critics eat up the movie due to auteur filmmakers at the helm of the movies.
I wonder how long he is going hide his limited talent behind his star power and auteurs who are baited to cast him due to financial model that forces them to cast him and not due to his talent.

I am shocked at how many people blindly call him the greatest actor ever
I mean, I don't know if I've ever heard this. And I run a movie forum.

Anyway, he's a very good actor, but I'm not sure how to argue with this position, since it mostly just seems like a string of assertions. To each their own.

I've never heard ANY educated film buff call Leo a top 10 all time actor, let alone THE greatest.

I'm sure some teeny boppers, and people who know nada about movies feel that way, but they don't count.

We're talking about people who probably think that Avengers Civil War is the greatest film ever made. Their opinions are irrelevant.

DiCaprio is a fine actor, and has a lot of ability. But is he among the very best actors in history? No, and he is overrated by anyone who feels that way.

I mean, I don't know if I've ever heard this. And I run a movie forum.

Anyway, he's a very good actor, but I'm not sure how to argue with this position, since it mostly just seems like a string of assertions. To each their own.
You beat me to it.

I've never heard anyone call Leo the greatest ever.

You beat me to it.

I've never heard anyone call Leo the greatest ever.
All it takes is to go to either his golden globe win speech on youtube for wolf or revenant and see the comments section...its almost like someone has brainwashed those people into saying he is the greatest actor.

All it takes is to go to either his golden globe win speech on youtube for wolf or revenant and see the comments section...its almost like someone has brainwashed those people into saying he is the greatest actor.
See my above post.

The opinions of mainstream movie fans are irrelevant.

You're talking about people who probably think that Fast & Furious is a better film than Pulp Fiction.

A system of cells interlinked
I would take opinions of people on either YouTube (a toxic environment) or Twitter (also a toxic environment) as the exception rather than the rule. I like Leo quite a bit, but wouldn't call him the greatest actor ever by a long shot. Meanwhile, Scorsese down't work with bad actors, so Leo is at least good, and probably above average.

I would take opinions of people on either YouTube (a toxic environment) or Twitter (also a toxic environment) as the exception rather than the rule. I like Leo quite a bit, but wouldn't call him the greatest actor ever by a long shot. Meanwhile, Scorsese down't work with bad actors, so Leo is at least good, and probably above average.
scorsese doesnt work with bad actors..correct..but he worked with ray liotta..who went on from goodfellas being nothing..so he may not work with bad actors but he does work with decent actors and not great..my critique is that he is getting undeserving attention..i am okay with him getting a rock level of attention or tom cruise but the attention he gets in terms of box office when he makes non commercial movies is tricking people into thinking he is a great actor but he really is a mediocre actor that can land great roles due to his financial value at box office.

A system of cells interlinked
scorsese doesnt work with bad actors..correct..but he worked with ray liotta..who went on from goodfellas being nothing..so he may not work with bad actors but he does work with decent actors and not great..my critique is that he is getting undeserving attention..i am okay with him getting a rock level of attention or tom cruise but the attention he gets in terms of box office when he makes non commercial movies is tricking people into thinking he is a great actor but he really is a mediocre actor that can land great roles due to his financial value at box office.
Comparing him to The Rock is just silly. Sorry, but Leo's performance in The Revenant is excellent, as is his performance in The Aviator. The guy can clearly bring subtlety and nuance to his roles. He does have some roles that are perhaps a bit phoned in, but he has done plenty of work that is quite a bit above average, and again, comparing him to Rock is pretty ridiculous.

If YouTube comments count as "people are saying" then "people are saying" every insane thing you can imagine.
but sadly those comments do result in boxoffice receipts in case of dicaprio...he created this sinister brand for himself...where people are thinking "if dicaprio is it then its going to be great and its not just great..its something thats best of the year"..i saw people reviewing shutter island calling it an oscar worthy performance.

Well, let's here who you think is a great actor, that's working today???