'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Might Be an Oscar Contender

Tools    

It's been noted that The Force Awakens just might be up for an Oscar nomination. There are people who say that it doesn't deserve one, but at least the special effects and such could be considered. If The Dark Knight can be considered, why not SW Ep 7?

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
My personal hopes: The Force Awakens and Mad Max: Fury Road get nominated for Best Picture. I love Star Wars, so of course I'll hope that this new one will be awesome; as for Fury Road, I've never seen it or any Mad Max movie, but I've heard nothing but good about it, so I'm rooting for it, too!

Nobody's seen it yet, but I think it will get a few nominations for visual effects and sound and get shut out of the major categories. I dont think there's any chance it gets a Best Picture nomination. The best case scenario is that it is deserving of one and gets great reviews, in which case it will split votes with Mad Max for the "action/blockbuster" slot and neither will be able to get in. It doesn't help that this year is looking pretty crowded, and there are still plenty of contenders yet to come out.

If Pearl Harbor got Oscar nods in the technical awards, then this should have no problems whatsoever picking up a few awards
Pearl Harbor should have won at least 10 oscars, it's a masterpiece.

If Pearl Harbor got Oscar nods in the technical awards, then this should have no problems whatsoever picking up a few awards
Surprisingly, it won an Oscar. Sound Editing. I honestly think it wasn't a fair win, though, since the only other nominee was Monsters, Inc.

I mean, it's not like Black Hawk Down, LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and A.I. could have been better choices than freaking Pearl Harbor!

/sarcasm

Abrams' STAR TREK won an Oscar for effects, or make-up, or some such. If I'm not mistaken, this is the only movie from the entire franchise to ever be so awarded. If JJ could do it for STAR TREK, I'm sure he'll get a statuette for STAR WARS.

It was in Makeup, though it was nominated for Visual Effects and the 2 Sounds as well. At the very least, The Force Awakens should be the same.