Russian Language Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Welcome to the Russian Language Hall of Fame II

Any film that's from Russia and is predominantly in Russian is eligible for this HoF as long as it hasn't won a previous HoF. This means that you're not allowed to nominate the following films:

Tale of Tales (1979, Norstein)
The Ascent (1977, Sheptiko)
Solaris (1972, Tarkovsky)

All other Russian films are eligible for this HoF though.

In case you're new to Hall of Fames and don't know how they work, here are the rules:

Nominations:

The Cranes Are Flying (1957, Mikhail Kalatozov)
Nominated by: SpelingError

Letter Never Sent (1959, Mikhail Kalatozov)
Nominated by: ScarletLion

Stalker (1979, Andrei Tarkovsky)
Nominated by: Citizen Rules

The Dream of a Ridiculous Man (1992, Aleksandr Petrov)
Nominated by: jiraffejustin

The Thief (1997, Pavel Chukhray)
Nominated by: Wyldesyde19

Khrustalyov, My Car! (1998, Aleksey German)
Nominated by: Ultraviolence
NO LONGER IN

The Return (2003, Andrey Zvyagintsev)
Nominated by: Takoma11

Leviathan (2014, Andrey Zvyagintsev)
Nominated by: nidral
NO LONGER IN

Also, I might as well ping everyone from RT/Corrie to see if their interested. If you don't wish to join, it's totally cool.

@ApexPredator
@Captain Terror
@crumbsroom
@Jinnistan
@John Dumbear
@John W Constantine
@kgaard
@Rockatansky
@Slentert
@StuSmallz
@Takoma
@ThatDarnMKS
@Thief
@Torgo
@WHITBISSELL!

Also, @Citizen Rules and @Wyldesyde19 both expressed interest in this, so I'll ping both of them as well.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors is not a Russian film and it has nothing to do with Russia.
  • The language spoken in the film is Ukrainian (with possible Rusyn language parts).
  • The film is about the Hutsuls ethnic group.
  • The film is directed by an Armenian director.

It is a Soviet film. But the Soviet Union encompassed some 15 republics.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors is not a Russian film and it has nothing to do with Russia.
  • The language spoken in the film is Ukrainian (with possible Rusyn language parts).
  • The film is about the Hutsuls ethnic group.
  • The film is directed by an Armenian director.

It is a Soviet film. But the Soviet Union encompassed some 15 republics.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think of that.

Let the night air cool you off
I think I'll join this, I'll just ask the other participants to watch mine last as I have to make it over a particularly busy patch for myself. I'll do my best and I'll nominate a film that only goes 30 minutes.

Ughh, I will think real hard if I want to join. I had a hard time in terms of scheduling to finish the HOF24, I also neglected the Personal Rec HOF during that time, plus I have my own Movie Loot challenge to deal with... but I will think it through.

Ughh, I will think real hard if I want to join. I had a hard time in terms of scheduling to finish the HOF24, I also neglected the Personal Rec HOF during that time, plus I have my own Movie Loot challenge to deal with... but I will think it through.
That's fine These can be time consuming for sure.

So films made under the Soviet Union don't apply, or apply as long as they are in Russian?

So films made under the Soviet Union don't apply, or apply as long as they are in Russian?
As long as the dialogue in them is in Russian, they should be good.

I think I will enjoy this one from the bench. 1) For the reasons I stated before and 2) because I was checking on Letterboxd how many Russian films I've seen and I don't think it even amounts to 10, or maybe even 5. And the ones I've seen are either fairly well known (which means that probably most people here have seen them or will get nabbed first) or are just crap. But I'll be looking and picking up recommendations.