How Rambo: First Blood Part II Tried Too Hard

→ in
Tools    

Rambo: First Blood Part II tried so hard to out-do its predecessor. The creators of that movie failed in almost every way.

The fact that Rambo is now the hunter and not the hunted ironically diminishes his mystique as a trained killer. Part of what makes Rambo's efforts heroic is the fact that he is struggling through adversity. Part I presents a stark contrast between Rambo's experience in Vietnam and the peace he never was able to experience at home. Rambo's fear about his situation is evident. But that contrast is gone in Part II. Here, Rambo is in actual enemy territory with actual enemies. Yet Rambo seems like less of a badass. In Part I, Rambo doesn't actually kill anyone. Watching the poor, helpless National Guardsmen fall prey to Rambo's non-lethal but dangerous traps paints Rambo as a silent but deadly killer. But in Part II, Rambo is constantly in soldier mode, so there is no contrast between his personality and his actions. it's just Rambo running and gunning with a bow and arrow, of all weapons. This gimmick is pulled out of nowhere and only makes Rambo less realistic.

Despite now having a love interest, Rambo seems less human. In Part I, Rambo's human side was shown in the first few minutes of the movie, where he acts like a normal person talking to the widow of a friend of his. That one scene, which only lasted a few minutes, highlights the tragedy that Rambo wants to live and act like a normal person but cannot escape his past. In Part II, Rambo has a love interest, Co-Bao, but there is absolutely no chemistry between them. The sparse conversations they have--mostly her asking about life in America and him answering in grunts--makes Rambo seem more like a Terminator than a person. Rambo's grief over her death in his arms wasn't convincing the way the death of his friend in Part I was.

Part II's villain, although more outlandishly evil than Part I's, is less compelling of a character. In Part I, when Teasle is introduced, there are a few scenes where he talks with some of the town's residents, with whom he seems to have a genuine connection. His cruelty to Rambo stems from being overprotective toward his town, and although that doesn't justify his actions, it at least illustrates why he acts the way he does. But Murdock's actions were confusing. I never understood why he sabotaged the very mission that, if successful, would make him a hero. When telling a story, it's important to build up hate for the villain to make his defeat more satisfying. But it's hard to hate a villain whose motives aren't clear.

Last, by trying to modernize the message by talking about the POW/MIA issue, the writers end up making the move more dated. Part I's message about the struggles veterans face after coming home from the war could apply to any war. Today, there are plenty of people returning from Afghanistan and Iraq for whom the message in Part I rings clear. But in Part II, the message only applies to a nonexistent issue that was prominent in the 1980s. Rambo's speech to Trautman about wanting his country to love its veterans as much as veterans love their country also seems to come out of nowhere because we see no average civilians in this movie as we did in Part I.

Although I'm ripping this movie apart, it's not a bad movie. It's a stupid, mindless action flick like Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds, and Top Gun, and that's ok. The bar is low for these types of movies, but unfortunately, so is the ceiling.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
What do you mean the message is nonexistent? You mean the fact that there were no POWs held prisoner after the war?

Sorry to break it to you, but this is one of the best action movies of the 80s, take it this way, this is probably the best one man army film ever, there you have it

Welcome to the human race...
Forget it, guys. OP hasn't been on here in ages. Why even bump a thread that had managed to go without replies for almost two years?

Forget it, guys. OP hasn't been on here in ages. Why even bump a thread that had managed to go without replies for almost two years?

Because we will defend this movie to the grave.

You ready? You look ready.
I think they should remake this movie and call it RamBow: First Baa
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Sorry to break it to you, but this is one of the best action movies of the 80s, take it this way, this is probably the best one man army film ever, there you have it
You're thinking of Commando.

The OP is right.

Rambo is garbage compared to First Blood.

You're thinking of Commando.

The OP is right.

Rambo is garbage compared to First Blood.
no im thinking of rambo, this one is much better than commando

The action scenes are very good, but I am split on the movie cause although I love the action, I feel that the story is not good, mostly because I didn't see any reason why Russians would be in this story setting, and they should have had Vietnamese villains only I think, for an action movie set in Vietnam.

But still, the action is very good nonetheless.

As a fan of Sylvester Stallone, I must say that the Rambo franchise is not one of my favorites by him. The first Rambo film, First Blood, was amazing. The sequels, all of which are mindless action flicks with plenty of violence and very little to no substance and an abundance of poor acting, did nothing for me. Even as a little kid, Rambo: First Blood Part II did not peak my interest (I actually enjoy Cobra and Over the Top way more). Rambo III is forgettable (something about Rambo going to assist Bin Laden and his fighters in their struggle against the Soviets in Afghanistan). Rambo (the fourth film) was gorier than the rest of the films in the series but was completely unnecessary. Same can be said about the fifth film which is due out in the fall...completely unnecessary. As a matter of fact, all the Rambo films with the exception of the first entry are unnecessary. In the original script to First Blood, Rambo was supposed to kill himself at the end of the film. I believe that would have been a more fitting ending to the story. Even Kirk Douglas agrees. He was originally cast as Colonel Trautman but backed out after they changed the ending to Rambo living, and Richard Crenna was brought in instead.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Great post @mojofilter

I think my father wanted to kill him or himself after Rambo's speech at the end of the movie. He was a Vietnam vet I was his son who was not a vet and so I still to this day have no real understanding as to why it irked the sh*t out of him so much. But it did.

For me, I snuck into a theater to see this sh*t back in the day and I guess I sort of loved it. Certainly doesn't mean it was any good. Because of this movie I became a rather huge Weird Al fan and if you've seen UHF then perhaps you already know why that is.

For the first movie, I still think Rambo living and going to jail at the end, still makes for a pretty dramatic ending, none the less though.

I actually think Rambo III is the best of the sequels. It goes over the top, like the second but not as over the top and it strikes a better balance I would say, cause it still manages to have some grit in the story. However, Rambo III wasn' t near as big of a hit as II was.

Welcome to the human race...
It probably helps that III has a better narrative reason to involve the Russians and actually makes them the primary enemy instead of just having them be the man-behind-the-man for the Vietnamese in II, which I think is a nice touch in theory even as it doesn't pan out all that well in practice.

Yeah that's true as well, the Russian have a better reason for being the villains in this one. I also like Rambo and Trautman's chemistry in this one more than II.

I like all the parts