Am I the only one who didn't like Spider-Man: Homecoming???

→ in
Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I'm kind of in the middle as to whether or not I like it and it's hard to decide. For one thing, I was very negative going in, cause they already rebooted Spider-man in 2012, and now they are doing it again only five years later with a new actor, and I was thinking c'mon, we're doing this again, how desperate is Marvel to make a buck.

But then it was too a not bad start and does have good moments throughout. Although, they never really explain why Spider-man really wants to join the Avengers. They don't explain his motivation. The character in this reboot is about 15 years old it seems, so I assume uncle Ben has just been murdered not to long ago, and Spider-man is probably wanting to fight crime out of anger, and sadness of that happening.

However, he seems much more happy to join the Avengers than to work his way through Ben's death. I mean what's he so happy about if the Uncle has just been murdered, a few months ago it seems. Even Aunt May seems really over it, and seems happy and I feel there needed to be some sort of addressing of that, or at least some sort of motivation as to why Spider-man wants to join the avengers so soon, after the Uncle's murder, and just have been becoming a crime fighter. I mean he's so desperate to join for no real reason it seems.

But other than that, I enjoyed the villain in the movie and Spider-man's story with this villain. I just feel the Avengers part of the plot needed to be written more specifically perhaps. So not sure if I like this one or not.

I disliked it too, def an unpopular opinion.

However, I will rewatch it a little later this year, so I might change my mind.

The truth is in here
If I had a penny every time WhatCulture PRAISED Rogue One and every single Marvel Film with almost a blind automaton-like fanboy mentality, confusing that same mentality for what qualifies as a great film, like they even know what that means. Wanker f**ks. Reminds me a lot of these guys, only more annoying, ignorant, and british...
You know The Nerd Crew is a satire of commercialized pop culture channels, right?

I'll put it this way... none of the Spider-Man reboots compare to the first two Tobey Maguire movies (and I wasn't a big fan of Tobey Maguire).

Tom Holland was a great choice for Peter Parker, but the criticisms in the OP are valid. The best part of the film seemed to be Michael Keaton as the Vulture.

Making Spider-Man an apprentice of Tony Stark and an Avenger kind of eliminates all the struggle and pathos of young Peter's life that made the character so popular in comics. (Fine for him to show up during a fight as in the Civil War movie, but making him a member of the team in the early part of his superhero career would change his life so that all his youthful problems wouldn't be the same. Remember, in Spidey's earlier career he tried to join the Fantastic Four in hopes of earning a stipend... and they wouldn't have him.)

I liked it but I agree with the points Ironpony made. They seem to be ignoring why he became a crimefighter to begin with. It also seems like movie-makers are shying away from characters who are down on their luck as though they're afraid audiences won't accept someone they perceive as being a loser. I thought Spider-Man 2, with Tobey Maguire, did a good job of presenting Spidey as the hero who often can't catch a break.

I liked it but I agree with the points Ironpony made. They seem to be ignoring why he became a crimefighter to begin with. It also seems like movie-makers are shying away from characters who are down on their luck as though they're afraid audiences won't accept someone they perceive as being a loser. I thought Spider-Man 2, with Tobey Maguire, did a good job of presenting Spidey as the hero who often can't catch a break.
Spider-Man 2 is still probably the all around best Spidey movie ever made so far.
Still, I didn't care for some of the casting - nothing against Kirsten Dunst, but she never seemed like Mary Jane Watson to me (from the comics). She might have made a better Gwen Stacey. Mary Jane was kind of the bad girl to Gwen's good girl. MJ was flirtacious and aggressive, yet laid back & free styling. Very similar to Archie Comic's Betty & Veronica.

Speaking of which - has anyone ever seen a similarity between Spider-Man and Archie?
The girl's are a direct comparison. Flash Thompson and Moose are comparable. Harry Osborne is kind of an amalgam of Jughead and Reggie as he's been Peter Parker's best friend and antagonist at different times.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I didn't notice that Archie similarity, interesting.

I also agree that Spider-man 2 is the best one. I think that The Amazing Spiderman, the first one, is the second best, cause I thought they did the origin story the best there.

You know The Nerd Crew is a satire of commercialized pop culture channels, right?
Of course, that's why I posted it. It's not like there's a rule that says you can't compare IRL figures to fictional satiric ones, especially in this context where a channel like RedLetterMedia pretty much does that with the video I used as reference. Besides, saying a channel like WhatCulture is the British Nerd Crew is pretty much saying they're the British Collider; blindly loving every generic, same ole product that major studios push out while using the same phrases as if they're all automaton copies meant to garner revenue instead of giving an actual opinion.

People like these are probably a major reason as to why there's such a massive Marvel backlash now in the first place.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

I like that it didn't follow the standard story template. Pretty good, not great, but definitely an example of a more inventive MCU film all things considered.

I still prefer the first 2 spiderman films, simply because it shows us that he is actually living in a small,neighborhood although i do like how they made tom holland s character to be a real kid

It was a slim improvement on what Tobey MaGuire's first Spider Man offered, and a huge improvement on the Garfield ones. The problem I had with the movie was that it focused more on Tony's technology than Spidey's powers. They fixed that in Far From Home, so I liked that one more.

well to be honest, Willem Defoe as The Goblin is probably one of the best villains in comic books, he was born to be Osborne

I dont watch such films, as they dont interest me.