My own personal October Challenge thread

Tools    

Zombie
Rammbock [Siege Of The Dead]
(Marvin Kren, 2010)

Pretty enjoyable low-budget offering that for the most part is fairly standard fare but does show a little inventiveness and has reasonable production standards in what is a tight enough tale for the most part with acceptable acting and characters.

30/35

Comedy
Tucker And Dale vs Evil
(Eli Craig, 2010)
+

Reasonably amusing affair with a fun premise that nicely reverses roles and contains some decent visual set pieces but it's the witty dialogue and the interplay between Dale, Tucker and Allison that is the highlight and elevates proceedings for me. The final act reverts to being more standard fare and disappoints slightly but is relatively short and what's gone before is good enough to carry it.

31/35

Body Horror
American Mary
(Jen Soska & Sylvia Soska, 2012)
+

Has a very good central performance from Isabelle and uses it's running time fairly effectively with little preamble and a quite nice gradual descent into one of the darker sides of life. Sadly though there are a few issues with diction here and there whilst imo Detective Dolor wasn't particularly well cast and for me the initial catalyst for Mary's unravelling really isn't enacted convincingly enough.

32/35

Sequels (2)
Scream 3
(Wes Craven, 2000)

Enjoyable final entry in the trilogy that feels a little more reserved than the first two but transfers to a Hollywood setting nicely and sadly has a level of topicality now that gives it a little extra facet.

33/35

Zombie
Rammbock [Siege Of The Dead]
(Marvin Kren, 2010)

Pretty enjoyable low-budget offering that for the most part is fairly standard fare but does show a little inventiveness and has reasonable production standards in what is a tight enough tale for the most part with acceptable acting and characters.

30/35
That looks pretty good and it's only an hour long.

Too bad you didn't like Inside and Alice Sweet Alice more.

That looks pretty good and it's only an hour long.
I found it an enjoyable watch and think it's certainly aided by not being drawn out but I like zombie flicks anyway and it's budget restraints do show so it probably won't be as enjoyable for all.
Too bad you didn't like Inside and Alice Sweet Alice more.
Yeah, sadly Inside just didn't seem to care about much other than gore which was a disappointment. Alice Sweet Alice suffered from a poor start where the overdone histrionics just irritated, thankfully it did settle down and improve though.

Sequels (3)
Scream 4
(Wes Craven, 2011)
+

Belated final entry in the franchise that has a nicely enjoyable second half but the first is rather lacklustre and aside from the odd moment the whole is simply not laced with the same level of humour.

34/35

Found Footage
[Rec]˛
(Jaume Balagueró & Paco Plaza, 2009)
+

Reasonably effective and entertaining even if the acting and dialogue aren't great at times and things do become a little repetitive. Not as good as it's predecessor but still decidedly better than many in the genre imo as at least the footage is generally contextually sound.

35/35