With these decades for movies?

1930s - populism
1940s - heroism
1950s - rebellion
1960s - independence
1970s - gritty, natural, and a combination of previous decades

The trick is not minding
1930s - musicals, screwball comedies
1940s - war films, noir, Italian neorealism all came to mind.
1950s - Brando
1960s - the return of the musicals
1970s - New Hollywood style of anti heroes.

1930s - Carole Lombard
1940s - WWII
1950s - Social issues commentary
1960s - Baby Boomer Hippies
1970s - Star Wars
apparently Matt is lost in the 70s, so...
1980s - New Wave
1990s - New Deal
2000s - New Millennium
2010 - The beginning of meta-data constructed corporate movies
2020 - If it ain't socially acceptable & diverse...it ain't getting in a movie, movies

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
1930s - musicals, screwball comedies
1940s - war films, noir, Italian neorealism all came to mind.
1950s - Brando
1960s - the return of the musicals
1970s - New Hollywood style of anti heroes.
I think Brando changed everything, acting-wise... Everyone went from theatrical style to a more natural realism.

I'm going to try and think of a movie for each characteristic for each decade I listed earlier.

1930s - populism - "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town"

1940s - heroism - "Twelve O'Clock High"

1950s - rebellion - "A Face In The Crowd"

1960s - independence - "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"

1970s - gritty, natural, and a combination of previous decades - "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"

1930s - Crackly black and white, actors speak loudly
1940s - WW II heroism, followed by cynical, post-war noir
1950s - Saturated Kodachrome color, not challenging middle class values
1960s - The 1950's continue, but end in a spasm of rebellious myth-breaking
1970s - The 1960's continue, but with an increasing realization that the 1960's didn't work so well and now we have to figure out how to move on.

1930s - Crackly black and white, actors speak loudly
1940s - WW II heroism, followed by cynical, post-war noir
1950s - Saturated Kodachrome color, not challenging middle class values
1960s - The 1950's continue, but end in a spasm of rebellious myth-breaking
1970s - The 1960's continue, but with an increasing realization that the 1960's didn't work so well and now we have to figure out how to move on.

Totally agree with the first four things, but I'm not sure what you mean when talking about the 60/70s.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
1930s - Frankenstein ! Dracula ! King Kong ! Amazing ! Monsters ! For the First Time ! Do not miss it !
1940s - Submarines ! Are you insane ? Maybe, but it's my last chance to prove to my wife and country that I am not a coward !
1950s - Saucers ! They came from the Red Planet. They may be your neighbors ! What journal are they reading ?
1960s - Heists ! In Paris ! But I thought you were retired ? The world has changed, but I'm here for one last job.
1970s - Conspiracies ! You thought your government meant to protect you ? It's assassinating democratic candidates all over the world !
1980s - Adventures ! Chases through geography and space ! We may look silly, but the baddies' aim is even more ridiculous !
1990s - Neons, electronics, computers ! Let's do the 80s, more seriously, more smugly, in a more calculated way. Let's polish it and forget about self-depreciation. There's money in it.

I kinda fell asleep after that.

1970s - Conspiracies ! You thought your government meant to protect you ? It's assassinating democratic candidates all over the world !

I kinda fell asleep after that.

Are you referring to "Three Days of the Condor"?

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Are you referring to "Three Days of the Condor"?
Partly, but my frame of reference is mostly french there. Verneuil's "I comme Icare", Robert Enrico's "Le Secret", etc. Events such as Kennedy's assassination (and the valid or not conspiracy suspicions around it) and the US involvement in Chili had a huge impact on the perception of western democracies in France, and spawned a series of paranoid political thrillers about cynical governmental occult operations. "Three Days of the Condor" is an american example, but I mostly had the somewhat darker, bleaker french ones in mind. The ones with soul-crushing Morricone scores and all that.

Partly, but my frame of reference is mostly french there. Verneuil's "I comme Icare", Robert Enrico's "Le Secret", etc. Events such as Kennedy's assassination (and the valid or not conspiracy suspicions around it) and the US involvement in Chili had a huge impact on the perception of western democracies in France, and spawned a series of paranoid political thrillers about cynical governmental occult operations. "Three Days of the Condor" is an american example, but I mostly had the somewhat darker, bleaker french ones in mind. The ones with soul-crushing Morricone scores and all that.

Interesting, I don't know of those movies, so I'll check them out... I don't remember much of "Three Days of the Condor", not even sure if I liked it.

There was a movie with Burt Lancaster around 1973, "Executive Action" perhaps, about overthrowing the government...

Thanks for those listings!