Rodent's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Here's the blurb I found about it:

Originally Posted by Movie News Website
In a shocking announcement, Kiefer Sutherland admitted yesterday that he and his fellow co-stars from Young Guns and its 1990 sequel, Young Guns II, were all returning for Young Guns III, due out in the summer of 2015. Here you can already find a teaser poster, although not an official one. Sutherland reports that everybody from the films, including Emilio Estevez and his brother, Charlie Sheen, as well as Christian Slater from the sequel, were all returning, despite many of them being killed off. "It's a really ridiculous idea for part three, yet we're all fascinated," Sutherland said in an interview. "We're all on board. As of now, anyway. Wait till you see what happens. Fans of the first movie should like it, but we're also aiming towards a new audience. It's a totally new concept."

Sounds like they'll be going for a fantasy thing then and rely on the audience to suspend disbelief.

Bit odd though, they should be calling it Old Guns, these guys are all in their 50s.

Not sure how they'll bring back the characters either. They can't be doing a side story "before they died" sort of thing as they're all too old for the continuity.

They'd be better off remaking the original and using more fact than fiction for the story and make it a proper historical drama full of gunfights.

There was a comment on IMDB where someone said they knew the storyline and it involved everyone PLAYING THEMSELVES and that the movie was about them getting together and doing a reenactment of the first two movies (like how people like to do Civil War reenactments -- this would be the stars of Young Guns reenacting their first two movies, but as older people). It's about the actors. It's going to be set in Hollywood and be very Charlie Kaufman-ish.

Oh right, then kinda like a Documentary then.

I might be interested if that was the case.

Emilio has spoken about a third film in the past before though anyway.

I'm just playing with you, Rodent. It's not real. I made it all up. But you probably already knew that.

Review #202, Movie #272
The Bone Collector

Year Of Release

Director
Phillip Noyce

Producer
Martin Bregman, Michael Bregman

Writer
Jeremy Iacone, Jeffrey Deaver

Cast
Denzel Washington, Angelina Jolie, Queen Latifah, Leland Orser, Luis Guzmán and Michael Rooker

Notes
Even though the main villain is never revealed until the end and when seen during the running time always remains hidden under a balaclava... to throw the audience off the scent, other actors actually portrayed the villain while masked, which gives more weight and surprise to the actual revealing.

---

Veteran Cop and forensics genius Lincoln Rhyme is injured in the line of duty that leaves him almost completely paralysed, with only his head, neck and one finger capable of moving.
He spends his days in his apartment with a Nurse and uses a voice activated computer to keep himself occupied. He has cut off his family too through a sense of fear and pride about his debilitating condition.
Rhyme is also pushing for a legal suicide as some of the fits he suffers will one day turn him completely into a "vegetable"... which is something he fears more than anything else in the world.

When a highly complex serial killer appears in the city, Rhyme's ex-bosses appear and ask for his brilliant mind to help track where the killer will strike next...

... and reluctantly, Rhyme along with rookie Beat-Cop Amelia Donaghy as his "legs", he puts his genius to work, all the time talking with Amelia through a telephone headset as she follows his instructions through the streets of New York.

Based on the book of the same name, The Bone Collector could have been brilliant.
Sadly though, it's a highly linear turn of events that holds some great promising mystery at the start but manages to drop the build up in place of some straight forward shocks and disturbing ideas that feel like a poorly made Se7en wannabe.

The general premise of the story is sound. It's just the hap-hazard direction from behind the camera that lets it down.
Phillip Noyce, who was involved with Dead Calm (1989), Patriot Games (1992) and Clear And Present Danger (1994), it's kind of surprising that The Bone Collector is so bland overall, really.

Some of it works, yet most of it just feels there for the sake of it with little regard to actually following it up with any kind of actual moments of discovery... and even those that are shown are slapped down with pretty linear writing in the script.

The acting though is top drawer.
Denzel Washington is as usual, the confident, slightly troubled detective with a brilliant mind. And seeing as Washington is actually in only one location throughout the entire film, laying on a bed, he does an exceptional job. He also plays the genius type with pure conviction. Well played.

Angelina Jolie is the heroine Amelia Donaghy... definitely Jolie's most likeable role to date. At least this time round she doesn't just pout and try to look sexy... she has to actually act and does a very good job of it.
She hold the more emotional scenes well too.

Queen Latifah is also on board too. Now, Latifah is one of the worst actresses in living memory, yet here she seems comfortable in the role and makes an impression as Rhyme's Nurse. She's also incredibly likeable for the small amount of screen time she gets. If anything, I actually wanted to see more of her role.

Back up comes from Ed (Al Bundy) O'Neill and Luis Guzman as Cop friends of Rhyme's and underrated actor Leland Orser as a technician for Rhyme's life support machines.

There's little to no action as such, but there are some great effects and gore thrown in to make the subject matter work better. There are some beautiful set pieces involved.
Apart from some CGI rats though, they sucked.
The rest of the visual design of the film is top notch though. The sets and general atmosphere is worked on really well.

---

All in all... atmospheric in look, had a promising story and the actors worked out of their socks... but it was let down with a linear and almost lazy script and screenplay.
Worth a go if you like "whodunits?", but if you're after a top class whodunit that's mysterious and brooding like maybe Se7en... you'll feel a bit let down.

My rating: 68%

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
i remember seeing all the potentials of what really should have been a great film only be so-so. Not bad, but not one you rave to a friend to go watch but simply shrug and tell 'em "Yeah, sure, that one's okay."

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Bone Collector is one of those films I've been aware of and been meaning to watch for years now, but never enough that I've actually gotten round to it yet. Even though I picked the DVD up for £2 a few years back.

Where are you at now then?
My Quills review made it 191 I think. As I said though I've got enough stored up that I could have stolen your thunder by getting to 200 first, but didn't think that would be gentlemanly of me.

I'll have to make a start on some franchises... 3, 4, 5, 6 films in one review to bump my numbers

I've got 4 franchises in mind which will make 18 movies over 4 reviews.