The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Last Year at Marienbad is one of the best films ever made but it didn't make my list because reasons.

I disliked The Exterminating Angel when I watched it for the first time, but then rewatched it a couple of years later and liked it very much.

I really didn't understand what's so great about The Vanishing years, years ago, but that was when I didn't like genre cinema at all and only enjoyed hardcore art films, so I definitely could use a rewatch.

Rome, Open City is the best of the War Trilogy and a wonderful film. However, there's one Rossellini film I like more. Can you guess which one?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Let the night air cool you off
The Vanishing is great but I didn't vote for it, which is a happy trend throughout the countdown so far.

Still haven't seen a single Rossellini film.

The Vanishing just missed my top 25, but I'm glad it made the list. As I've mentioned before here, it may be the scariest movie I've ever seen. It's not only for what the villain does, but because he seems like the kind of well-adjusted family man you'd be happy to have as your neighbor. Ever wondered what "banality of evil" means? Watch this.

Vanishing is the first film on the list I've seen. Not seen it since the 90's and it wouldn't have made my list, but I remember it as a wonderfully chilling thriller.

Two more I haven't seen.

Although I've heard many argue that the original Vanishing (Spoorloos) is far superior to the American remake. Based on my feelings on the latter, I can't see any reason to disagree with that assessment.

Last Year at Marienbad is one of the best films ever made but it didn't make my list because reasons.
But why...
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have not heard of The Vanishing, but it does look intriguing and I like what I'm hearing about it.
And, (this is more for my own memo about another same-named film 2018 I checked out the trailer and now, GOTTA see. so)

Any ole piccadillo, pickaknuckle, crackacucummber. . .

I thought The Vanishing was one of the creepiest, most-disturbing and most-original thrillers I'd seen when I first watched it, and I see no reason to change my mind. My response was WTF.

Rome, Open City - What it lacks in subtlety, it more than makes up for in raw power, although there is some poetry in Rossellini's direction. Dialogue by Fellini. Filmed under the Nazis' noses..
THAT is awesome!
Haven’t seen The Vanishing yet but Rome, Open City was my #4 film.
Such an amazing. Film, and that scene of Anna Magnani running towards the camera is both amazing and tragic.
That is even MORE awesome!! LOL
#4 on mine as well!

Firstly, may I express --

Run a checklist of what makes a viewing experience utterly enjoyable, memorable, and every other happy as hell accolade. But screw the checkmarks, put f@ckin stars. I'm talkin the fancy gold mirrored, puffy-@ss ones.
And please, understand where this is coming from.
Since the new year, it has been an utterly glorious buffet of ever-increasingly quality dripping cascade of brand spanking new, endeared favorites.
Comes this wonderful jewel that is the locals of Rome during Germany's occupation during WWII. They were bubbling over with Life. They are passionate, and quite often, amusing as godd@mn hell. From Pina, (Anna Magnani) and her son, Piccolo Marcello, (Vito Annichiarico) to my absolute favorite, the charitable, in the trenches, Don Pietro Pellegrini, (Aldo Fabrizi)

Simple folk working with Italian Resistance Leaders that the Gestapo, specifically these excellently portrayed viper and black widow spider moving in for the kill.

And move in, they do.

Against Italian Bravado,

ROC is not an arthouse representation of War, but there is, very much, wisdom infused to this more action-oriented, tragic cat & mouse espionage done expertly by Roberto Rossellini.
Bit o' Trivia; this is my christening of Rossellini films, and I've already got Germany Year Zero aka Germania anno zero (1948) on my 2021 Movie Challenge Watchlist.

Any Hoot, Rome, Open City is a film that I would be entertaining good friends at home and say, "Hey, you guys wanna watch a really, really good film?" as I hit Play.
I adored, rooted for, and was captivated by the locals. The Chase's suspense, the amusing/clever attempts to distract the Germans kept me grinning continuously. Counterbalanced sublimely by the villainous machinations of the Germans. The ending was superb. All of this wrapped up in a very intelligently written story and dialogue befitting a cast of warm, determined folks against a ruthless predator.
LOVED IT
JUUUUUST LOVED IT
And CR, yes - YOU DO NEED TO SEE THIS

Movies Seen: 3 of 8 (37.5%)
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93

19. Paprika (2006) #100
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

The Exterminating Angel made my list. My favorite Bunuel, so savage and funny.

Last Night was a late, difficult cut. A fascinating film but too many better choices.

Finally, one I've seen!

I loved Spoorloos, but it just missed my list. Still, here is a list to an article I wrote about it back when I first saw it in 2013....

Spoorloos: Obsession and the banality of evil

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Filmed under the Nazis' noses.
Is this true? Shooting for the film began in January 1945. The American forces took possession of Rome on 4 June 1944.
Evidently not.

Rome, Open City (1945) Trivia

Roberto Rossellini began shooting the film two months after the Nazis left Rome in June 1944.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw the American version of The Vanishing (with Kiefer Sutherland) many years ago, and I've heard that the original version is better, so I watched the original version for this countdown. It's been a long time since I saw the American version, so I can't really compare the two movies, but I understand why people call the original version creepy. The kidnapper definitely has a very creepy vibe to him, even though he seems like such a normal person when he's with his family.

However, I don't really see why people call this movie scary. With the exception of the last few minutes, (and one scene with some spiders that it would have been nice if somebody would have warned me about ), I didn't find anything scary about this movie.

As a mystery thriller movie, this is an excellent movie, so I'm not surprised to see that it made the countdown, but it didn't make my list.

I've never heard of Rome, Open City, (but I expect this to happen with a lot of movies that make this countdown).